PDA

View Full Version : Bad TPS, Poor gas mileage on 98 silverado

TCracin440ex
06-04-2005, 10:41 PM
well i know for a fact that i have a bad throttle possioning<sp sensor (tps) on my 98 silverado. I was wondering if any of you car or truck guys out tehre can tell me if this bad tps would be causing me to get poor gas mileage on my truck or not....and how much a new tps for my truck would cost....

chucked
06-05-2005, 07:16 AM
About 30 bucks.

jeepboyny
06-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Very possible, lets say you have it at 1/4 throttle but it thinks you have it at full throttle it's going to dump more gas to it even though its not getting the air....Also fuel pressure regulator can cause them to get poor mileage, but change out the stuff that you know is bad first then go from there. $30 sounds about right, only 2 screws hold it on and one little wire plug, very easy to change.

brian-250
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jeepboyny
Very possible, lets say you have it at 1/4 throttle but it thinks you have it at full throttle it's going to dump more gas to it even though its not getting the air....Also fuel pressure regulator can cause them to get poor mileage, but change out the stuff that you know is bad first then go from there. $30 sounds about right, only 2 screws hold it on and one little wire plug, very easy to change.

beat me to it.:o

TCracin440ex
06-05-2005, 01:29 PM
from what i know of the only thing that is bad is the tps...the truck has rough idol and stuff...all the symptoms of a bad tps then i took it to auto zone and had them diagnostic check it...and the computer said it was a bad tps....its been bad for a while now but i figured what the hell as long as its running im going to drive it but i got to thinking the other day what he fuction of the tps is...and im like its proally dumping more gas in the motor than needed and thats burning my gas down a lil bit faster

TCracin440ex
06-05-2005, 04:28 PM
bump anyone else have anything to add to whats already been stated above??