PDA

View Full Version : 300ex reverse adapter?

Tejas
06-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Has anyone tried that new adapter that lets you shift into reverse with your foot instead of your right hand? If so do you like it?

300exOH
06-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Tejas
Has anyone tried that new adapter that lets you shift into reverse with your foot instead of your right hand? If so do you like it?

I have one and it is much easier to use especially when combined with the reverse mod in the tech section. The only thing I don't like is that it will go into reverse without pulling in the clutch so be careful.

bwamos
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
I made one almost exactly the same as that.
However I left the Clutch Lever pushbutton unchanged so I dont have to worry about my sister or my buddies kids accidentally dropping the thing into reverse w/o the clutch pulled in.

It still saves you from having to take your hand off the throttle and reach over to the left side to pull up on the lever.

Tejas
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I think I'll make me one,but not going to do the red button mod right now.

Tejas
06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Just made one. So much better! I made it longer and angled up more for when I'm wearing snowboots I have more room to shift it up. Wished I had it last winter when I was plowin' snow a lot.

300exOH
06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Just made one. So much better! I made it longer and angled up more for when I'm wearing snowboots I have more room to shift it up. Wished I had it last winter when I was plowin' snow a lot.

That's a good idea with angling it up more. It can be a little tricky with certain boots. You were plowing snow with your 300ex?:eek2: Any pics? lol Where did you find a plow to work on the 300?

Tejas
06-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I looked all over for one and never found one for the 300ex, but only found one for the 250ex. Had to drill new holes in the mounting plate, used Gecko paddles, heated grips.Works ok, but not as good as a 4WD. I've seen univ. ones that might work too. If you want more info,I'll give you my e-mail.

300exOH
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
I looked all over for one and never found one for the 300ex, but only found one for the 250ex. Had to drill new holes in the mounting plate, used Gecko paddles, heated grips.Works ok, but not as good as a 4WD. I've seen univ. ones that might work too. If you want more info,I'll give you my e-mail.

I thought about trying something like that myself. Did you plow any deep, heavy, wet snow or just powder?

Tejas
06-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Mostly powder,did'nt work as well later in the winter when the snow was wetter. Sometimes I'd just have to take smaller cuts. Worked better with the plow turned one way or the other,not straight. I use to do this with a Warrior and that seemed to work a little better.

Trevor
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
can you post a better or more pics for me!

300exOH
06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Trevor
can you post a better or more pics for me!

If you are talking to me here's a closer look

VT250X
06-08-2005, 08:39 PM
I've looked at those, but I still find it easier to just lift my left foot up and shift it into and out of reverse. I can also kick start while sitting down. I guess not being overly tall helps in those situations. I'm only 5' 7" with my sneakers on :)

300exOH
06-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by VT250X
I've looked at those, but I still find it easier to just lift my left foot up and shift it into and out of reverse. I can also kick start while sitting down. I guess not being overly tall helps in those situations. I'm only 5' 7" with my sneakers on :)

It's not quite as easy to use your foot on the 300ex as it is on the 250x. The stock shifter is higher because of the starter and doesn't stick out as much as on your 250x.

VT250X
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I've looked at numerous 300EX's and it always looked to me like it was the same. I tried to hunt down a pic to see for my self as well as paw through my Clymer manual, but didn't have any luck finding a decent pic. I'm probably wrong, but what else is new?

LM

Trevor
06-09-2005, 05:48 AM
I've used my foot for the stock reverse on my 300ex and it work's ok

300exOH
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
The 250x reverse shifter comes just above the engine case where the 300ex shifter has to go up a couple inches to go over the starter. Also the 250x reverse lever has a tab that sticks out that isn't there on the 300.

Here's a pic of the 250x reverse lever

300exOH
06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Here you can see how much higher the 300ex lever is

300EXBeater
06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
I didn't know they made a shifter adapter for the reverse on the 300. I rebuilt my quad winter of 2003 to 2004, and found that if I threw a stock 250x shift lever on the reverse lever shaft, I didn't have to worry about all that other junk. It looked cleaner, and I could stand the bike right up on the grab bar..shift into neutral.. and then throw it back down without getting off or disco dancing so I just left it. I havn't hit anything with it, and nobody else around here can do the trick. They either stall out or fall off the back first. Just a note: I found that for some screwy reason, the 300 carb died out in a grab bar stand, but the 250x carb from my old engine will run crazy angles. It just wizzes gas everywhere. :eek:

300exOH
06-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 300EXBeater
I didn't know they made a shifter adapter for the reverse on the 300. I rebuilt my quad winter of 2003 to 2004, and found that if I threw a stock 250x shift lever on the reverse lever shaft, I didn't have to worry about all that other junk. It looked cleaner, and I could stand the bike right up on the grab bar..shift into neutral.. and then throw it back down without getting off or disco dancing so I just left it. I havn't hit anything with it, and nobody else around here can do the trick. They either stall out or fall off the back first. Just a note: I found that for some screwy reason, the 300 carb died out in a grab bar stand, but the 250x carb from my old engine will run crazy angles. It just wizzes gas everywhere. :eek:

Any pics of your reverse lever? I'm having trouble imagining how you connected the 250x lever to the 300ex one. Sounds like a good idea though.

As for the carbs I thought the only differnce between the two were the bore size. I think the 300ex carb is a couple mm's larger. I've never tried leaving mine run while on the grab bar but then I have a 6 pack rack.:ermm:

bigbadbrad
06-12-2005, 10:02 PM
i made my own reverse lever during school the other day, i just went over to the welding shop took a piece of 1/4 by 1 by 8" long scrap heated it up about an inch from the end, bent it 90 degrees, drilled a hole for the pin, drilled a nother hole in the stock lever, and the custom lever, bolted it, and painted it, all at no cost to me, i will try to take some pics, it took about 5 minutes.

CynicalCS84
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Sorry to bring this topic back from beyond the grave, but does anyone have any more info on these levers? I have a home made one on mine at the moment, but want to put something more stock looking on. Any ideas? I'd like to see what the 250x lever looks like on there...

bwamos
12-06-2006, 06:11 AM
250x lever wont work. It will have interference from the starter motor assembly. Thats why the 300ex one is taller.

I'm curious to see how they did the '06 setup they got rid of the lever altogether and are using a cable actuation or something to flip it into reverse.

quadfamily
12-06-2006, 08:33 PM
bwamos,
I believe he was talking about taking a shift lever(not a reverse shift lever but a 1-5 shift lever) from a 250X or 300EX and installing it on the reverse lever shaft on the 300EX. Sounds like it would work is the splined shafts are the same size and they probably are.

bwamos
12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Ahh gotcha.

Exrider434
12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
how do you make the reverse so you dont have to push in the button on the lever..because i wanted to just get rid of the huge clutch perch and just not use the reverse but if someone could help me with this it would be great.
Thanks adam

Rusty91o
12-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Same here. I think I want to do this as well.

300exOH
12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
how do you make the reverse so you dont have to push in the button on the lever..because i wanted to just get rid of the huge clutch perch and just not use the reverse but if someone could help me with this it would be great.
Thanks adam

Just follow the reverse cable down to the right side of the engine and disconnect it from the lever and use a zip tie/spring or even mechanics wire to hold the lever so that it is in the reverse postion. You can then remove the reverse cable and run whatever clutch perch you like.

bwamos
12-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Just follow the reverse cable down to the right side of the engine and disconnect it from the lever and use a zip tie/spring or even mechanics wire to hold the lever so that it is in the reverse postion. You can then remove the reverse cable and run whatever clutch perch you like.

An exhaust spring works well, from what I've heard. ;)

300exOH
12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
An exhaust spring works well, from what I've heard. ;)

Yep. That's exactly what I used. It was from a 2 stroke pipe but I would think any spring with decent tension and the right length should work. I really think the 2 stroke spring is more than enough tension for the job.