PDA

View Full Version : suspension question(im a newbie)

300ex7
06-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I bought my 2004 honda 300ex about a week and a half ago. Keep in mind that this is my first ATV ever. After about 5 days i bent the rear axle doing some jumps. I ride my ATV quite hard. I just went and purchased the Eliminator axle that is 5 inches longer than stock. At my dealer they told me that this one would be way better for jumping and it had a life time warranty on it. Was that a smart choice of buying that brand and part? Does anybody else have this axle and how well does it hold up??? Also since i've already started on the suspension i might as well keep going with it and wanted to know what else i should get suspension wise? Front and rear??

bradley300
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Laeger and LSR make good a-arms for a 300ex, there are also a few others for a smaller budget like Burgaurd and American Star. With your plus 5 axle, your at 48 inches wide, so go on and get some plus 3 a-arms and 4:1 offset wheels. for shocks (you will need shocks with the a-arms) i suggest elka, if your on a budget, works are a great alternative. the best mod suspension wise you can do to a 300ex is a set of 20 inch hole rear tires (or razrs, but i like holeshots)

300ex7
06-04-2005, 12:39 PM
i am definetely on a budget. So what you are saying is when i get the plus 3 a arms i will also have to get the shocks to at the same time??? Where can i get these parts and what kinda of prices am i looking at for these parts??? And also where can i get the tires and how much? will the tire fit the stock rim??? or do i need to get aftermarket rims also??

thanks,

TheFontMaster
06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 300ex7
i am definetely on a budget. So what you are saying is when i get the plus 3 a arms i will also have to get the shocks to at the same time??? Where can i get these parts and what kinda of prices am i looking at for these parts??? And also where can i get the tires and how much? will the tire fit the stock rim??? or do i need to get aftermarket rims also??

thanks,

Whenever you get wider a arms, you will need to replace the stock shocks, the longer a arm adds more leverage to the shock, and stock shocks can't handle that additional leverage. I got +2 LSR a arms, and works tripple rates with remote rezzies for my 250r for 500 dollars. For your 300ex and +3 a arms, you will probably be looking at 6-700 dollars. For places to get the parts, you probably don't want to buy new if your on a budget, but check the for sale section here, thats where I buy most of my parts, or ebay. New tires will fit the stock rims, but remember that the stock rim is a 9 inch rim, so you will need a tire that will fit that size. New tires for 20 inch razr's or holeshots you will be looking at about 50-65 dollars a tire.

ReconRider25
06-04-2005, 06:00 PM
this isnt a suggestion on shocks or anything, but if you just got the quad shouldnt there have been a warrenty? if so u couldve gotten a new stock axle at no cost.:confused: when my header cracked during warrenty they replaced it at no cost.

bradley300
06-05-2005, 07:50 AM
also, get a-arms that are plus 1 foward ! i know burgaurds are) and that way down the line when you get p[lus 1 swingarm, your quad will be very ballanced in the air

400exrider0004
06-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Im kinda of a newbie too so i was wondering wat 4:1 offset wheels means in an earlier post means? Also If you get plus two a-arms in front wouldn't you get plus four axle. What kind of axles are good?
Thanks

bradley300
06-05-2005, 06:08 PM
4:1 is the offset of the wheel. meaning the inside of the wheel is 4 inches deep, and the outside is 1 onch deep. a stock honda wheel is 3.5:1.5 offset. to eliminate the most trail feed back, (like hitting a rock and having your bars jerk) you want the center of the wheel as close to being in line with the ball joint.

putting 4:1 wheels on a honda that is otherwise stock, will make it a half inch narrower on each side