PDA

View Full Version : opinion on pistons

bloodhound400
06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
im diong a stock bore on my 05 400 but originally i was going with a je 10.5-1 with stage 3 hotcam but the guy doing my work says if it was him he would go with 11-1 wiesco,he sells them both and said wiesco bought out je and in his opinion wiesco is a better piston.what do you guys think?:huh

TC426EX
06-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Used both brands, and theyre both good. Used to have a 12:1 wiseco 426 and now I just put in a 13:1 JE. Personally, I would get the JE, and run an XR400 head gasket with it

400exrider707
06-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Well the 11:1 wiseco wont be an 11:1 with your stock gaskets. The piston was designed to make that compression on the XR400 which has thinner head gaskets. I learned all of this AFTER I bought my wiseco. I have been happy with it though and dont really regret buying it. Although I would probably steer you away from such an aggressive cam with only 11:1 compression. I would just get the stage 1 or maybe the new stage 2. I wouldn't even bother with the stage 3 until your in the 12:1 range or higher. JMO though. Also C&D sells thin head gasket sets that are actually thinner than the XR400 gaskets. I just ordered one for myself.:D

bloodhound400
06-04-2005, 03:52 PM
thanks for the info fellas,more opinions would be appreciated

vinson581
06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
i got a quick ?

i want to do a std bore 11:1 wiseco, my motor is nearly NEW figured i can get away with standard bored, and a nice quick hone, i also want a stage 2 hotcam, im not going to be doing any serious racing, i just want a little more punch from my motor without going big bore..... while i have the head off i am wanting to do a port and polish, who is the best company, for the dollar, and reliability? i was looking into sparks, with a national port, i know eric gorr does good work but he is more of a two stroke man, who can get me some good power, at a good dollar.

how much is a 11:1 and stage 2 hotcam with port and polish and C&D gasket going to help? i mean is it going to be night and day or just a nice boost..

also how do they hold up reliablity wise, i have alot of other motors running wiseco and i sware by them, with the agressive cam how much can i expect to loose in the bottom end department, or will the piston alone make up for that

v581

bloodhound400
06-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by vinson581
i got a quick ?

i want to do a std bore 11:1 wiseco, my motor is nearly NEW figured i can get away with standard bored, and a nice quick hone, i also want a stage 2 hotcam, im not going to be doing any serious racing, i just want a little more punch from my motor without going big bore..... while i have the head off i am wanting to do a port and polish, who is the best company, for the dollar, and reliability? i was looking into sparks, with a national port, i know eric gorr does good work but he is more of a two stroke man, who can get me some good power, at a good dollar.

how much is a 11:1 and stage 2 hotcam with port and polish and C&D gasket going to help? i mean is it going to be night and day or just a nice boost..

also how do they hold up reliablity wise, i have alot of other motors running wiseco and i sware by them, with the agressive cam how much can i expect to loose in the bottom end department, or will the piston alone make up for that

v581 hey man i would love to answer your ? but as u know im in the process of doing the same thing and looking for the same answers as u. the guy thats doing my port work is local and thats what he specializes in the place is called boretech if your interested send me a pm and i will give u all the info u need on his shop.

400exrider707
06-05-2005, 08:34 AM
I have the wiseco 11:1 and hotcam stage 1 in mine. Mine is an 01 and I got away with a hone on this thing so you should ok. I couldn't tell you if the piston will make up for the loss in bottom end of the more aggressive cam. If your talking about the NEW stage 2 then you should be OK, it was designed to have less bottom end loss than the OLD stage 2(which is now stage 3). I would say it gave it a substantial boost across the board, nice low-end which is where I like my power, and it revs pretty good as well.

bloodhound400
06-06-2005, 07:09 AM
thanks for the info bro!

vinson581
06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
ditto ^

i think im going to get the 11:1 on 93 octane, stage 1, or stage 2 havent decided, and the C&D gasket, im still not sure who i want to do my motor....

v581

also with the stage 2 do i need hardened rockers, or stiffer valve springs to prevent valve float?

bloodhound400
06-06-2005, 08:02 AM
not according to hot cams sight.

vinson581
06-06-2005, 08:09 AM
are you going with a stage 2 or 1, one is for bottom end, and 2 is for top end. i think i might just be best to go with bottom end.... now how much mph range off the top end will i loose...i do seem to get the bike to almost topped out everyweekend, and would be upset if i lost that power.

bloodhound400
06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
you wont lose any bottom end with any of the cams you just wont gain any on some, so im going with a stage 2 or 3 my bottom end is fine just need more mid and top!

EPDP99
06-06-2005, 08:22 PM
hot cams are drop in. no hardend rockers required. go with the JE piston.