PDA

View Full Version : YZ440 hybrid??

blue416ex
06-03-2005, 04:51 PM
what parts EXACTLY will i need to do it if i have every part could i do it in a weekend? how hard is it? and how much will this conversion cost me as a total ? what are STRONG 416 ex motors going for? and the entire electronics system? im just looking to get some info on the conversion ...

piks of steps of the conversion will be helpful also thankx

EvilJester400EX
06-03-2005, 07:41 PM
You'll need a radiator, oil tank, engine, engine mounts, welding this and that together, and probably a few other things.

bakeen
06-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Why on earth would you want to put any Yamaha engine in a Honda?

ss440ex
06-04-2005, 02:12 AM
I f you had a complete kit and have done it before,,,Maybe!!
I have done several,and a week end would be very tight.

You would need a welder.
Two spacers are needed for the rear eng mount.
A .097 shim and a .240 spacer.
Fwd mounts.
Oil tank or a dry sump system,250r radiator
Coolant adaptors from eng to rad.
Rad mounts ,oil tank,and eng mounts,welded in.
A kicker extension.
Relocate coil.
A air filtering system.
Hoses and oil lines.
Alot of work, but WHAT A RIDE!!!

I like the yz 426 engines.
:D :D :D

pm me and I can send pics.

YZ400EX
06-04-2005, 03:03 AM
You would never be able to do this in a weekend if it was your first time..

blue416ex
06-04-2005, 09:25 AM
yea this wuold be my first time doing it, which motor mounts line up without modifications (welding) i know the front lines up with new mounts and the swingarm but wich others do you even use the bottom motor mount?

the radiator- will a stock 250r radiator work or do i need the GT thunder one? are there any other radiators that could work? banshee, lt250r?

welding-what exactly need to be welded ? new motor mounts?

intake- what works? a YFZ system?

what should the totalk cost me like an estimate?

what are strong 416 motors that have pretty much everything going for these days? about 1300??

im just scoping out the project i probably will do it

i've heard of people needing 1.25 inch longer swingarms why? does the motor have too much power for a standard swinger?

also since the motor isn't counterbalanced does it vibrate the quad apart?

and i pmed you about those pics you have ss440ex

how hard is the project?? compared to doing a total rebuild on a quad ?:confused:

EvilJester400EX
06-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Stock 250r radiators will work. If you are talking about building a 416 from stock a good one at nationals is probably $1800. A +1 1/4 swinger would help, and the motor will not vibrate too bad at all, it'll be just like a YFZ. Hopefully more can chime in about your other questions.

YZ400EX
06-04-2005, 10:14 AM
You can use a stock 250R rad or any aftermarket one..aftermarket would be better, but the stock 250R is cheap and can always be replaced later + it does the job..I would stick with Honda 250R radiators only though because it is known that they fit and the mounts you will get are for 250R radiators..

The front motor mounts just bolt up and the rear mount where the pivot bolt slides through the motor you need to have a bushings that goes in the motor because the EX pivot bolt is too small and would be floppy..you will also need a spacer that holds the engine to one side on the bike because the yz engine sits a little to the left in the ex frame. You will also need to weld in, upper and lower motor mounts, radiator mounts, and oil tank mounts.

Intake..I used stock 400ex airbox, a radiator hose from NAPA..I can explain more in detail later, but nothing from a YFZ is needed..use whatever comes with the yz motor you get as far as carb forward.

Now you will have to have an exhaust setup for this bike as well..I used a header off of a YFZ 450 because it seemed to clear the rear shock rezzie a little better then the stock YZ400 header I had..maybe mine was bent?? You can also use the silencer part of the exhaust that you have on the bike now, but will have to have a custom midpipe to have the headpipe and silencer meet up.

It really depends on how much you can get your motor for to really estimate how much this project will cost you..

To sell your 416 motor you might be able to get around $800-$1000 out of it, but maybe more..Thats a reasonable price though..

If you are talking about buying a YZ motor you might find one for less than $1300 you may find one for more..Just look around really..

As far as alonger swingarm it would be a good idea, but not totally needed..With this motor it does make the front end of the quad alot lighter then it did with the ex motor #1 because it has alot more power and #2 because the motor is much smaller and lighter..An extended swing arm is a good idea, but not 100% needed..it can come later if needed..

About the quad having alot of vibrations..Mine doesnt seem to vibrate much at all..at certain RPM's when just letting it rev it kinda vibrates, but while sitting on the bike, running it and riding it, its not bad at all..If you did this swap you would be more than happy with it..

As far as how hard the project is really depends on your skills and knowledge as to how things work, go together, really how mechanically inclined you are..to be honest if you have any doubts about yourself being able to do this, dont even start because it will never get finished..It is not easy the first time you do and will take some figuring out on alot of things, but if you can get through the first one you could do another easily, but honestly if you have any doubts yourself being able to do it, dont even start it because it wont get finished..

ss440ex
06-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Could`nt of said it any better!
They are fun though :D

blue416ex
06-04-2005, 10:43 AM
im not really having DOUBTS about being able to do it it's havibng the money to do it im a little short on cash until i get a new job for the summer ( im only 16) but im pretty mechanically inclined i rebuilt my old blaster, banshee, and now my 416 almost from the ground up i redo topends and everyhing so i would say im up to it

another thing the chain does it line up or do i need to cut the frame and move the tube over? and on the pivot bolt what do you use as the spacer? does anyone sell them?

and what do the kits usually run just to save some time from making everything from scratch?

thankx to everyone who replied in the thread its been a TON of help in deciding what i am doing with my bike as far as selling or making it a hybrid

YZ400EX
06-04-2005, 10:49 AM
No there is no cutting needed to make the chain line up..the spacer on the pivot bolt is needed to keep the motor slid to the left..there is just enough space between the swingarm sleeve and the motor to place the spacer..all these parts can be bought from ss440ex..he can give you prices on everything..

figair
06-04-2005, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bakeen
Why on earth would you want to put any Yamaha engine in a Honda? [/QUOTE
Why not I did it and she screams....

blue416ex
06-06-2005, 07:07 PM
what did it cost most of you guys to get an exhaust on it ? and howe much mods were done to it to make it fit im selling my stuff to build this so if anyone is interested PM ME lol:macho

2muchquad
06-06-2005, 07:11 PM
the yz motor has a counter balancer,so vibes wont be a problem

YZ400EX
06-06-2005, 07:13 PM
For me I used the YFZ header ($25) because it seemed to clear the rear shock rezzie (maybe my stock YZ header was bent..I dont know) and I used my 400ex HMF exhaust and had a piece of midpipe made at a local muffler shop for $9..You wont have to do any frame mods to get the engine to fit except cut one of the stock gussets out of the frame for the carb to fit..really easy..

blue416ex
06-06-2005, 07:16 PM
ok as soon as i get myt motor and everyuthing sold im buying some stuff from ss440ex and im still on the motor hunt:( but i guess its ok since i need to sell my stuff first

blue416ex
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
i know there is a few engines also i could use wich is the best mx motor out of the three the 400,426, or 440 ?

YZ400EX
06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
well the YZ comes with 400, 426, and 450..I couldnt tell you which ones are the best, but I have heard the 426's had tranny problems..just heard though..dont know for sure..the 400 motor would be the cheapest :D and it RIPS!!!

blue416ex
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
i am on a budget (as cheap as i can without sacrificing strength or performance) so i think i may be leaning towards the most inexpensive YZ motor i can find i was just wondering wich ones were toinger if there were even any differences

dork
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
the 98-99 400's have a smaller wrist pin and smaller clutch than the 426's. if you can find a 426, try to get a 01 or 02. the 00's had some issues with clutch action and the counterbalancer gear keyway(the 400's have too). but they're not major or chronic problems, just something to remember. with any of these motors that are high mileage, you may have problems with the trans. popping out of gear in 4th or 5th. but thats pretty much normal wear with these since they're generally used hard and produce strong power.

if you go to a bigger bore on the 400 motor, you may want to look into upgrading to the 426 crank and cylinder. that was the 400's one weak spot, the small end of the con. rod sometimes broke with big bore kits, the 426 rod and wristpin are 1mm bigger and solved this. the 426 cylinder has more material in it for bigger bores, like 97mm pistons. if you run the 426 cylinder and a 2mm powroll stroker crank, you'll have the same cc's as the yfz quad and it really rips, while being reliable.

Toadz400
06-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you should just lean away from doing this project right now. You don't seem to have the money to do it, which means that it will end up being done half-assed or not done at all and you'll just have a pile of different parts of a dirtbike and quad chassis. Get your job, save up your money over the summer and just ride the quad you have now. This sounds more like a winter project for you;) .

blue416ex
06-08-2005, 12:13 PM
its not that i wont have the money i ALWAYS come up with the money when i need it from doing side jobs with my friend who is an electrician or working on installing hottubs with another friend or if my OTHER friends dad needs help at their body shop i go in as the extra man i have the ways to make it and i would rather do it in the summer since im not racing this summer and i want it now im motivated enough so it WILL get finished by a deadline i set for myself and FYI i NEVER half *** something im going to be going 50+mph on ;) its one of those DONT DO's lol:blah:

quading is fun
06-08-2005, 02:01 PM
hey blue416ex, what other quads do u have, and where do u ride?? casue i live in nj and i think i might met u b4...

blue416ex
06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
right now i have this 416 ex i had a white and red banshee and a blaster with 250 r plastics on it red with a baby blue nose #5:devil: heres my current ride only now it has elkas and a 4 inch bar clamp on it:macho

quading is fun
06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
:eek: wow nice lookin quad :blah: it must fly!!! and do u live by blacktrack??

blue416ex
06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
i have never heard of it but i may i live by the six flags in jackson so if you have ever been to the six flags in nj you have been close to my house before, im 5 minutes away from it

yea the bike is pretty fast now but itll be faster when im done putting a YZ motor in it:devious: should stay with the same color scheme and maybe a blue houser swingarm!:eek2:

quading is fun
06-10-2005, 10:18 AM
oo blacktrack is like some place where almost everyone around where i live rides... and six flags is awsome lol

accorracer
06-11-2005, 05:04 PM
i am attempting this swap my self right now.

so far i have got my hands on

00 400ex
01 yz400f motor
250r radiator w/ straight out/ inlet tubes
coil and plug wire

looking for a good cdi and exhaust at this time

also needing a kick starter extension and custom oil lines

ss440ex
06-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Good move on the straight out 250r rad .
Makes for a easier job.
I do the kicker extension mods.
Send me a p.m.

blue416ex
06-12-2005, 10:22 AM
i just found an old writeup on how to do the yz conversion seems kinda sketchy thou :ermm:

http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27275