PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Pivot Bolt greasing question

FoxRacing81
06-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Do you think its possible/or a good idea to drill two holes on each side of my swingarm, tap them, and put a grease fitting in each of the holes so I can grease my swingarm pivot bolt using my grease gun instead of pulling it all back out everytime to grease it?

-Justin

Pappy
06-03-2005, 04:40 PM
its easier to pull the pivot bolt, weld up the hole on one end and install a grease fitting on the other. drill small holes in the pivot bolt in the areas where the pivot sleeves are.

i wouldnt drill a cast aluminum swing arm but im sure it can and or has been done.

Chino
06-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
its easier to pull the pivot bolt, weld up the hole on one end and install a grease fitting on the other. drill small holes in the pivot bolt in the areas where the pivot sleeves are.

i wouldnt drill a cast aluminum swing arm but im sure it can and or has been done.

i agree that this is a good method, However, i had a pivot bold that had this done to it, and with the holes being drilled in it, it tends to make the bolt weaker therfore not letting it hold the load that it should, thus when i pulled my pivot bolt out to grease it last time it was in two seperate pieces broken :( . so instead of the grease zerk trick, personally i would suggest just taking time out every other month or so and greasing it :macho

Pappy
06-03-2005, 07:59 PM
jesus...how big and how many holes did they drill!

Chino
06-03-2005, 08:19 PM
jesus...how big and how many holes did they drill!

i belive there were only like 2 or 3, holes in it, ask jeff it came from him lol :P

btw.. the holes weren't very big in diameter, im not exactly sure what size drill bit he uses, id compare it to pencil lead or something in that size... it was nice though, being able to grease it...

Pappy
06-03-2005, 08:30 PM
ive been happy with mine but all i did was molycoat it. i agree with you tho, it takes 10 minutes to pop it out and grease it once a month.

Chino
06-03-2005, 08:32 PM
ive been happy with mine but all i did was molycoat it. i agree with you tho, it takes 10 minutes to pop it out and grease it once a month.

Hey, we can have two different opinions on something, come to a conclusion, and still get along. Wish everything was that simple. btw you racing sunday this weekend at koontz or the midatlantic?

Pappy
06-04-2005, 07:01 AM
im pretty sure we will be at bike barn on sunday. i wont be racing, just the boy.

Dave400ex
06-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I had mine nickel plated and it has seemed to help... Plus the nickel plating looks cool, I want to have more bolts done...

eagertorace
06-08-2005, 05:50 PM

I haven't greased a pivot bolt before. Please give me detailed instructions. THANKS

Pappy
06-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
I haven't greased a pivot bolt before. Please give me detailed instructions. THANKS

put the quad on a solid stand

remove the rear brake lever and grease it's shaft before reassembly

remove the large nut on the pivot bolt

support the swing arm (varied ways depending on what type of stand your using. you dont want it supported so much that you cant move it back into position and dont worry, the shock and linkage will hold everything in place.

remove the pivot bolt and clean it, then dry it

lube the entire pivot bolt with a good quality marine grade grease

reinstall and repeat next month!

eagertorace
06-08-2005, 06:27 PM
thanks alot pappy
why do you have to do this every month? I've had my quad for over 2 years and haven't greased it or had any problems.

Pappy
06-08-2005, 07:11 PM
thanks alot pappy
why do you have to do this every month? I've had my quad for over 2 years and haven't greased it or had any problems.

if you havent removed the pivot bolt in 2 years, be prepared for a rude awakening. usually after a few months they start to sieze up and usually reqiure everything short of a small nuke to get them out!

there are several areas on an atv that are so overlooked in the maintence department and the number 2 is this bolt. #1 being dirty air filters.

its a moving part and should be regularly maintained, and you are correct, 2 years of service from your quad without greasing this bolt isnt unusual. the problem will start when you HAVE to remove the swing arm or the engine. at that time you will be cussing yourself for not lubing that bolt!

eagertorace
06-08-2005, 07:16 PM
so it's safe to say that it's probably seized! what's the easiest way to get it out and wish me luck.

eagertorace
06-08-2005, 07:18 PM
also will there be pivot bearings to replace?
if so, what do these cost?

Pappy
06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
if it is siezed, there really is no easy way.

ive soaked them in PB Blaster, used heavy duty air hammers, used some big *** hammers, torches and even a plasma cutter. the last one we did was for my brothers 426ex.

after the usual methods failed, we attempted to use a sawzall and cut the bolt on the inside of the frame. this did work, however the collars were seized to the pivot bolt and wouldnt come free. some fancy swearing and a few temper tantrums with the saw and grinder finally removed it. between 3 of us we had over 5 hours jerking around with this POS bolt:mad:

you could always get lucky and it pop out:chinese:

2001400exrider
06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
thanks alot pappy

ive had mine for 2 years and never greased it either....this is gunna be fun..:rolleyes: lol wat should i tap or HIT it out with??? should i spray some wd on it? also will the bearings likly need to be replaced? (pivot bearings) im going on a trip up north to ride and wana get prepared as possible..any other things i should check over? theres going to be ALOT of ROCKS and MUD up there
:D

Pappy
06-08-2005, 07:26 PM
if you loosen the large nut enough to protect the threads on the pivot bolt, give it a few taps with a large head hammer. if it doesnt move then you will know right away your in for a PITA job.

at the point in time that you realize you have a siezed bolt, decide right then and there if you want to tackle the job or not. if not then re tighten the bolt and save the job for when you have the patience, tools and replacement parts. (a few cases of chilled beverage will keep your mind from using a gas can and a match in a moment of anger:scary: )

and dont be surprised if the pivot bolt turns freely once its loosened. its an evil ****** and possed by the debil:eek: its like the cute chick in school....she smiles at ya right before she tells you to drop dead:( :cool:

2001400exrider
06-08-2005, 07:31 PM
the large nut you are reffering to is the one on the left side of the bike, correct? i was thinking of putting a rachet on each side and just loosin'n it..?

Pappy
06-08-2005, 07:33 PM
yep, it usually not hard to get the nut loosened, but wash the area free of mud because you dont need debris in the protruding threads.

getting the nut loose and off is not the issue, getting the pivot bolt out is.