PDA

View Full Version : Problems Starting my 400ex

4wheeldude
05-24-2002, 08:08 AM
I got my 2000 400ex about 5 months ago for really cheap. The guy I bought it from mixed other parts up on the ex (250r tierods, hubs, mixed up nuts, no sprocket, no sprocket hub....). So, I got all the parts back to normal now, which took many months. I have not even gotten my ex to start yet (i have never ridden it). I have problems starting it. Should I drain the gas, new spark plug(what kind do I get?), I bought a brand new K&n air filter and put it on, What kind of oil is best for texas conditions? Any tips on starting for me? Thanks. :)

lil400exman
05-24-2002, 12:08 PM
lets see what i did to my other quad which was a moto-4 but these will apply no matter what kinda machine you own:
1.drain gas tank then run some water down through the tank to make sure of good flow wel i did! then put regualr gas thour ough it few timews to get the little bits of water or put a water catcher in the tank those are life savers!
2 look at the spark and whats its getting little spark or anything?check bettery that has happneend to me b-4 on the ex my battery connection points were loose!it wouldnt even crank!
3. check carb-intake for debris and fueline too!
4.oem plug for a '99 ex is from the manual 2 types:
1.standard trail riding is: dpr8z
2 extended high speed riding:dpr9z
3 and denso plug is for trail: x24gpr-u
high speed riding is from denso: x27gpr-u

if that doenst all worktake it to your dealer! check your oil and oil fliter too to make sure its installed correctly!:D glad to try and help!

lil400exman
05-24-2002, 12:12 PM
oh and btw the oil i use in my ex is rotella t 15w 20 i highly reccomend it no breakdown actually my dad has a 300ex and he hasnt changed his oil in over 5 rides and its still reallly reallly clean!and he is using anoem filter too. heck semi's use it and they go the farthest on their engines so why not learn from them? its very good at high heat and also use a good can of either if the 400ex dont want o turn over that stuff is nice just dont use too much!:macho

4wheeldude
05-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks, alot. Hopefully Ill get it working this weekend! :D