PDA

View Full Version : **stage 2 hotcams/magura clutch info**

nowukno
06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
I have a 05 450r and i recently installed a hmf ballance slip-on , jet kit , no lid and k&n filter. I was considering buying a stage 2 hotcams and was looking for some info (i do not plan on buying a high comp piston) , i want bottom to mid but i dont wanna lose any top , so will this cam fit that description and i will i need to get a new head pipe with my hmf slip-on or will the stock headpipe be ok. Does the engine make more noise with this cam (loud ticking) because that is what i heard , its no big deal but i just wanted to make sure that its normal if it does tick. ----- Now , how does the magura hydraulic clutch perform compared to stock and will i be able to still use the stock hotstart? Thanks in advance for the help

cheetah
06-03-2005, 06:54 AM
If you've never tried a magura they are amazing. I love mine and have had them on all three of my sport bikes. I'll never go back. Yes you do retain the stock hot start as well. As for the cam, I can't really help you there. I've never rode an R with one.

tucson450r
06-03-2005, 08:30 AM
I love my magura clutch and I will never be without one again. I have an HRC cam so I can't answer the cam question for you. How is the weather in Radford? I grew up in Abingdon just southwest of you. I am now out in the flesh melting scorching hot desert of Arizona.

nowukno
06-03-2005, 11:42 AM
The weather has been really nice but rainy today , but its still the same old boring radford but we have a great spot to ride in wytheville , thanks for all the info on the magura clutch , im still looking for info on the stage 2 hotcams , so any help would be apprecitated.

06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by nowukno
im still looking for info on the stage 2 hotcams , so any help would be apprecitated. i'm looking for the same info., someone help us please :cool:

wppracing
06-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I installed a Hot Cam Stage 2 Cam on a customers 450R
It had the LRD Pro4 Kit installed. I changed the cam ,added the HRC needle and rejetted the carb. He went home and rode on his track. He called me to say that it now had more bottom ( take off power) and mid range pull. The top end was about the same ,maybe slightly better. Overall he was very happy with the change.
So IMO the stage 1 is a bottom only cam and the Stage 2 is a bottom to mid cam. It isnt a top end cam period.
I had one installed on my 450r and took it out for the HRC.

06-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Would a HRC cam be better you think for overall riding? Would you think buying a used one is a good or bad idea?

Pappy
06-03-2005, 04:42 PM
stage 2 isnt worth the $$ IMO unless you do the higher compression piston along with it.

06-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
stage 2 isnt worth the $$ IMO unless you do the higher compression piston along with it. what do you suggest I get if I want stock piston? HRC cams are so much $$$$$$

Pappy
06-03-2005, 07:39 PM
i wish i had expierence with the hrc cam but i dont so i really wouldnt want to offer an opinion. i know in the 400ex the hrc cam seems to be a better choice but again, with a piston.

the cam helps some, but it sure didnt feel like one with the piston. i have 2 new stage 2 cams here and i just havent installed one in mine yet simply because im holding out to do the piston at the same time.

im sure someone with the hrc will pipe in thier 2 cents to maybe give you a more well rounded suggestion.

06-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i wish i had expierence with the hrc cam but i dont so i really wouldnt want to offer an opinion. i know in the 400ex the hrc cam seems to be a better choice but again, with a piston.

the cam helps some, but it sure didnt feel like one with the piston. i have 2 new stage 2 cams here and i just havent installed one in mine yet simply because im holding out to do the piston at the same time.

im sure someone with the hrc will pipe in thier 2 cents to maybe give you a more well rounded suggestion.

thanks for trying. Do you suggest I just leave the stock cam in mine then? I dont want to sacrifice reliability. It's just that when my dealer adjusts my valves in a few weeks they told me that if I wanted to have them put in a new cam in they would do it for free when they take the stock one out. If an aftermarket cam though mkes reliability go down then it's not even worth it. Would you leave the internals stock if you were me?

Pappy
06-03-2005, 08:14 PM
if the work is done correctly it should not affect reliability.

450Racer
06-03-2005, 08:39 PM
i ran the Stage II Hotcam with a 11.5:1 piston. the midrange really picked up and it revved out into the top end really strong. i'd definitly reccomend getting a header pipe, it'll help all around, cheap HP. i haven't heard anything bad about the HRC cam but i really like mine, there was a very noticable difference. i now have the head ported polished, 5 angle valve job, 14:1 piston, same cam, full system Big Gun EvoX, K&N, no lid, 115 octane. i only weight 130 pounds but the power is amazing, never stops pulling. i have a Big Gun Rev Box on order. if you have money, that's the way to go.

kbass24emtp
06-03-2005, 09:16 PM
The HRC cam with a good pipe really makes good power. Low end is alittle better than stock, but mid to top is great. The HRC kit is worth it to me. The only parts I did not use is the airbox lid and the exhaust end cap. Realibility is not a problem, its a good buy for great power.

Jonas
06-04-2005, 07:46 AM
The motor will wear sooner in the long run period. I don't set mine up for 5 to 10 years from now though. I want it to rip now, so I put an hrc cam in. The power difference may or may not be noticable to you. My opinion is 5-10% more in the top end. I'm sure it wouldn't be tough to find a dyno on it. Even honda's dyno on it shows a small drop in low end power.

I didn't know that Honda did an HRC cam for the 400ex and I work at a dealer?? Where did you get it and what is the part number?