PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam?

whiteflash
06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
im currently selling my Polaris Explorer and i recieved this e-mail from a guy in London. i thinks its a scam...

Good day,
We have a customer interested in purchasing your (1996 Polaris Explorer) for the price of $1,800. Please acknowledge our offer and indicate the present position of the property. I need you to send pictures of the property, different view so that we can access the face value of the order.
On comfirmation we will instruct the buyer, to have the funds remitted to you as soon as possible. We will arrange a pick up , once payment is confirmed by you the seller.
Thanks,
Micheal Sharp
for:Management

and then he sent this e-mail after i said a couple of people were offering 1800 for it...

Ok i can do for $1,800.However,i reside in london,you have to give us sometime to contact our client on phone,we have been trying his line for sometime now i believe is switchedoff,The amount in the check he deposited for the order is bigger than what should be paid to you, though it's meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase ,the pick up and the shipping bills. so we want to know if we shall carry on with that or if he will make arragement for another check ASAP. he is presently in japan on a visit.. Please get back to us as soon as you recieve this mail.
Regards,
Export Director

scam or not?

JDiablo
06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
sounds a lil fishy,but im not to sure

JOEX
06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Personally I wouldn't make any transaction overseas via the internet.:ermm:

Especially through a third party.

JDiablo
06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Personally I wouldn't make any transaction overseas via the internet.:ermm:

ill double that

Hondadudeehhhh
06-02-2005, 09:19 PM
sounds fishy to me. I noticed a lot of ebay scams were going on from "London" i would do deals in just north america if i were you. Just ask trx250rjapan

JOEX
06-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Actually, I wouldn't do a third party transaction ANYWHERE unless I knew one of them closely.

parkers30
06-02-2005, 09:21 PM
sounds similiar to some scams I know of where they send you a bad check for well over the actual amount, ask you to wire the the extra back ASAP and.... you've just given them your own money :blah:

sounds like a scam to me, why would a guy use a third party to buy an $1800 wheeler?

Mxjunkie
06-02-2005, 09:24 PM
I had them do that to me twice when I tryed to sell my cr80 on ebay, I wouldn't try/do over seas

YZ400EX
06-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Basically what this "scam" is called is money laundering..What they do is this..you want $1800 so they send you (just guessing) $3000 to cover the cost for you $1800 and then say $1000 for shipping (these are all estimates, dont quote me, I am using these as examples) and then whatever is left out of the $3000 you send back to them..This way when they get back the money that is left over it is accounted for and is now "clean" money, thus money laundering..Even though it will be a small amount that you send back they can account for where it came from and thats why they do this..They dont want your vehicle and probably send tons of emails like this to people all day..DO NOT DO THIS DEAL AT ALL..If you do go through with them you can be held accountable for money laundering as well..Just ignore when they email..I am sure a legit buyer will come along even though the sale sounds good for now, you would regret it later..believe me..:D

250R-Dee
06-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Eventhough I am overseas shipping is the same as domestic for me.

That deal sounds very fishy! The writing style should be the first thing that threw up an alarm. That's some pretty crappy writing for a Import/Export business. They would most likely send you a fake money order or bank draft.

My problem with people in the US is they will try to hide behind the distance after I send them money. The long arm of the law is about to put a whipping on yz440/jk250R.:blah:

dunegoony
06-03-2005, 08:42 AM
its a scam....dont do it

06-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
Basically what this "scam" is called is money laundering..What they do is this..you want $1800 so they send you (just guessing) $3000 to cover the cost for you $1800 and then say $1000 for shipping (these are all estimates, dont quote me, I am using these as examples) and then whatever is left out of the $3000 you send back to them..This way when they get back the money that is left over it is accounted for and is now "clean" money, thus money laundering..Even though it will be a small amount that you send back they can account for where it came from and thats why they do this..They dont want your vehicle and probably send tons of emails like this to people all day..DO NOT DO THIS DEAL AT ALL..If you do go through with them you can be held accountable for money laundering as well..Just ignore when they email..I am sure a legit buyer will come along even though the sale sounds good for now, you would regret it later..believe me..:D

umm.. your dead wrong lol.. money laundering? LOL.. common now.. even my 3 year old son doesnt believe that and i dont even have a son!

Now heres the real skinny on this whole deal.. First off, it is a scam.. dont do it.. if you do, youve been warned and its your own fault.. This sounds like the start of "the algerian scam" which is a well known deal that is what they do is send you a CASHIERS CHECK or MONEY ORDER that looks LEGIT, which really isnt.. now heres the kicker.. as YZ400 said, they will send you like 3000 bux on a 1800 dollar item and then want you to send you back the cash.. this isnt money laundering, this is flat out stealing.. Once you send them back the cash (ASAP, everything that has to do with this scam is ASAP) The bank calls you and says.. "Mr. HowDoesyourbumbumfeel, the cashiers check for 3000 that you cashed at our bank a week ago is COUNTERFEIT and we need you to bring the 3000 dollars back with to the bank" Welp, that 3000 has been used to buy your bike, and the remainder has been sent back (if somone is STUPID enough to fall for this)

So not only are you out your bike, your also out the 1200 bux cash that was sent "extra"

All of that was just an example, but is really how it works.. Its happened to me 2 or 3 times and have the cashiers checks with a nice big red COUNTERFEIT stamp across it..

Dont do it, youve been warned.

Jesse

quadrcr161
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
umm.. your dead wrong lol.. money laundering? LOL.. common now.. even my 3 year old son doesnt believe that and i dont even have a son!

Now heres the real skinny on this whole deal.. First off, it is a scam.. dont do it.. if you do, youve been warned and its your own fault.. This sounds like the start of "the algerian scam" which is a well known deal that is what they do is send you a CASHIERS CHECK or MONEY ORDER that looks LEGIT, which really isnt.. now heres the kicker.. as YZ400 said, they will send you like 3000 bux on a 1800 dollar item and then want you to send you back the cash.. this isnt money laundering, this is flat out stealing.. Once you send them back the cash (ASAP, everything that has to do with this scam is ASAP) The bank calls you and says.. "Mr. HowDoesyourbumbumfeel, the cashiers check for 3000 that you cashed at our bank a week ago is COUNTERFEIT and we need you to bring the 3000 dollars back with to the bank" Welp, that 3000 has been used to buy your bike, and the remainder has been sent back (if somone is STUPID enough to fall for this)

So not only are you out your bike, your also out the 1200 bux cash that was sent "extra"

All of that was just an example, but is really how it works.. Its happened to me 2 or 3 times and have the cashiers checks with a nice big red COUNTERFEIT stamp across it..

Dont do it, youve been warned.

Jesse

this guy is right, its a scam, sorry you fell for it man, but if it soudns too good to be true it usually is.

check out 419eaters.com

Scro
06-03-2005, 09:00 AM

Jesse

actually, he is right

red2004 TRX450R
06-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by whiteflash
im currently selling my Polaris Explorer and i recieved this e-mail from a guy in London. i thinks its a scam...

look at the email header - and do a lookup on it!
I bet $100.00 the email was not sent out of London!!!!!!!

06-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
actually, he is right

hes wrong, its not money laundering when your sending couterfeit funds sir.. that is flat out STEALING..

money laundering would be if the cash was acutally real, just dirty

Jesse

Scro
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM

money laundering would be if the cash was acutally real, just dirty

Jesse

yes you are exactly right...the money you send to that person is your REAL money...

06-03-2005, 09:41 AM
yes you are exactly right...the money you send to that person is your REAL money...

IN ORDER TO LAUNDER MONEY YOU NEED MONEY TO LAUNDER!!!! you cant launder money if you start with nothing.. if you dont have dirty money, how do you launder dirty money? you cant.. how can you wash your clothes if you dont have clothes to wash?

Common sense

Jesse

Scro
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
money laundering has nothing to do with "dirty" money, it is called this because the money that you send to the scammer is "clean" money, in other words, money in his pocket.

Scro
06-03-2005, 09:46 AM
here, notice #2

definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=laundering)

quadrcr161
06-03-2005, 09:52 AM
money laundering has nothing to do with "dirty" money, it is called this because the money that you send to the scammer is "clean" money, in other words, money in his pocket.

its not dirty money, or any money they send to you, its a FAKE check, you deposit it and send them extra + your product. in turn they are scamming/stealing your product and money from you. read on www.419eaters.com and see how the scam works, its not laundering.

06-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
its not dirty money, or any money they send to you, its a FAKE check, you deposit it and send them extra + your product. in turn they are scamming/stealing your product and money from you. read on www.419eaters.com and see how the scam works, its not laundering.

ahh yes, i totally forgot about that site.. and its www.419eater.com minus the s... great site.. and quite funny when you can keep the stuff going

Jesse

06-03-2005, 09:56 AM
here, notice #2

definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=laundering)

"To disguise the source or nature of (illegal funds, for example) by channeling through an intermediate agent. "

ILLEGAL FUNDS, meaning YOU GOTTA HAVE FUNDS LEGAL OR NOT TO LAUNDER THEM!

Understand now?

quadrcr161
06-03-2005, 09:57 AM
ahh yes, i totally forgot about that site.. and its www.419eater.com minus the s... great site.. and quite funny when you can keep the stuff going

Jesse

thanks for the correction, have you ever read about the one with the ANUS laptops? they sent so much crap oversees and the scammers payed to get it there. that was a great thread.

06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
yea ive gotten a few myself.. a few with pictures.. but i think i know what one your talking about.. where they sent a "notebook computer" which was accually literally like a 3 ring binder with sharpie marker drawings for the keyboard blahblahblah, and had pictures of the guy picking it up.. cracked me up..

Altho, that site is kinda a contridiction... they are scamming the scammers.. lol...

Guess thats why its called the most orginised scam biating site on the planet ;)

Jesse

parkers30
06-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm with Dirt Merchant, you can't launder money they didn't actually give you, thats why it is a scam, you send them your own money

YZ400EX
06-03-2005, 11:47 AM
It is money laundering..The money they send you is good..its not fake..believe me..I had a friend that this happened to and the cashiers check was good..He cashed it at the bank, but the FBI soon contacted him and let him know this information, but he avoided being in trouble for money laundering because the vehicle he had sold was not sent out yet and he had not sent the people over seas any money back yet..The info that I gave was correct..maybe there are other scams out there, but this one sounds identical to the one my friend got except for instead of being a small amount of money this was more around like $30,000. I guess this is what raised the flags with the bank and having them contact the FBI, but the cashiers check was good...

06-03-2005, 01:14 PM
they are not interested at all in your product. they want that extra money sent to them. By the time your bank figures out the check is fake you had already sent your OWN money to them and you are SCREWED. they tried to do it to me but I reported them to the FBI Memphis bureau

nebjamin
06-03-2005, 08:56 PM
give me there email so I can trace there IP address right to there door step and have cops waiting for them (My whole family almost).

whiteflash
06-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by nebjamin
give me there email so I can trace there IP address right to there door step and have cops waiting for them (My whole family almost).

seeland_consulting@yahoo.co.uk

06-03-2005, 11:48 PM
scam

06-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by nebjamin
give me there email so I can trace there IP address right to there door step and have cops waiting for them (My whole family almost). good luck...they are all overseas. The guy who tried me was pathetic. He was a black guy from Africa

nebjamin
06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
yea but theres still a few from the us like california that we have been catching lately.