PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock carbs

Speedy81304
06-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Does any one have one on ther 400. if so how do you like it and is it easy to tune.

want to try to get the most out of the 400. that ha 10.5:1 piston, xr400 head gasket, hot cams stage 1, FMF power bomb header/power core 4 muffler.

trying to get the most out of the engine for trail riding, plus fuel economy. got 120 miles last week end out of my clarks 5 gal gas tank stock gearing, 2 inch taller tires, and still had 1/4 of a tank left. average was 25 miles to a gal.

06-02-2005, 08:27 PM
I dont have one, but from what i have heard they are a great carb. Altho they make it hard to get the quad started in cold weather, no choke I guess. I dont know too much about the carb my self.

hawiianpwr
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I 've had one for about a year and I'm about to throw it down the street! :mad: Its a really touchy carb. But I got a hold Colby (C&D Racing) and he said he can hook me up.:D

400exrider26
06-03-2005, 04:32 AM
i heard something about not being able to put on some aftermarket carbs with aftermarket bigger gas tanks... like your clarke tank... make sure one will fit with you gas tank you have..

Dannys400ex
06-03-2005, 07:33 AM
i have an edelbrock carb for a 440 if your interested.

Speedy81304
06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
well the 440 carb is to big for what we need, the motor is a 407cc with the .5mm over bore. I'm not going to bore out my motor any more then that since i want my engine to last me for years with no problems, if i could tune the 440 carbto work i would think about it.

why I need a diffrent carb is because the dyno jet kit. is to lean even with the biggest jet and the needle adjusted for max flow,
since i have done stage 1 mods, i see no need for a pure race carb, just somthing that can be tuned for peak HP/TQ with out burning up the engine.

06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
there are bigger jets than dyno jets. use stock jets, I think a 160 or 170 or somewhere between is what you need. Thoes numbers is what I think they might be, I think I heard thoes numbers before.

RiderTRX400ex
06-04-2005, 10:28 PM
yea u can always just go with stock keihin main jets... local dealer shoud have those.. as far as the dynojet mains, they use a differnt numbering system and iu think the DJ main 170 is bigger than a stock main jet size 170..

enduro400rider
06-05-2005, 07:27 PM
i run one on my 400, i really like it. dont worry the edlebrocks out now have chokes unlike the first ones. for tuning all you do is twist a knob to make it richer or leaner, pretty easy to do. i will admit it is a touchy carb you gotta really know just how much gas to give it when you start it. one you get the hang of it its no problem i kinda like it though so my stupid freinds cant jump on it and start it up as easy as they could with the stock carb they always flood it. the people down at edlebrock are awsome, last summer i broke a screw off in my carb so i called them and they told me to send it in and they fixed it for free, they replaced over $100 worth of parts on it and when i got it back it looked like new and they put a choke on it. ( i had the old version with no choke )

Speedy81304
06-06-2005, 09:42 PM
see thats what i like to hear... some one that has one and likes it.
i have never used the choke on my stock carb. every bike i ever owned i think i only used the choke once and that was because i had to ride it on a very cold day...