PDA

View Full Version : axle problems

kicker696
05-23-2002, 08:46 PM
how do i get the axle out of the carrier, i have tryed almost everything i can think of, but it just won't come out. the barrings are still in the carrier, do i have to take them out? if so how do i do that?

05-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Once you get he axlenut off it slides right out..:huh

exriderdude
05-24-2002, 09:53 AM
BEAT IT;) :devil

NVR2L8
05-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Once you remove the axle nuts, you have to remove the brake caliper, then slide the rotor off of the axle. Then there is a c-clip you have to remove that's on the outside edge of the caliper mount piece--If you haven't removed this clip then the axle won't come out--remove the clip and slide the caliper mount off also. Still though, if your bearing carrier is as dry as mine was, then the axle might be a little hard to get out. Thread the right-hand hub nut back on, and give the right-hand side of the axle a good sharp whack with a rubber mallet...it should then slide out from right to left. Once the axle is out the carrier should also come out.

The bearings in the carrier is another story... Since Honda designed the carrier to use single bearings on each side with a center support, you have to remove the bearings from the inside out. I used a drift...a 1/2 inch thick, 2 foot long rod...to knock mine out. You just slide the drift through the carrier and get the edge of it between the center piece and bearing, until the edge of the drift contacts the edge of the middle metal ring of bearing. Take a look inside the carrier once you get it out and you'll see what I mean. Then tap the bearing around in a circle to drive it out evenly...took me about 10 minutes to drive out both bearings. Just make sure you don't hit it so hard that you knock out the middle piece of the bearing...you need this piece to get the bearing out since you can't get to the outer ring.

Installing the bearings is a breeze. Heat up the carrier by warming it up in the oven at 200F for about 20 minutes, and freeze your new bearings for about an hour. Once you're ready, coat the outer part of the bearing and inner race of the carrier with oil, and using a short piece of pipe or metal that has "almost" the same dimension as the outer ring of the bearing (not to wide as you don't want to score the inside of the carrier, but make sure you're driving the bearing in using the outer ring and not the inner ring)...set the bearing into the carrier and drive it in. The bearing should drop in real easy and you'll "feel" it seat in the carrier. Then flip the carrier over, slide in the center piece, and drive in the other bearing.

kicker696
05-24-2002, 03:44 PM
this is for a yamaha blaster, and i didn't c a c-clip, so whatelse could it be, i tryed beating on it, i meen i beat the living he11 out of it!!

NVR2L8
05-24-2002, 04:13 PM
I thought we were talking about a 300EX/400EX...:eek: Try posting your question at http://blasterhq.com/

Rastus
05-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Man, if you beat it, your definately gonna cause some problems later on.....