PDA

View Full Version : Valve Seals

2001300exguy
06-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok im ordering new valve seals and everything else for a tope end rebuild. My question is how hard is it to replace the valve seals and how do u do it. Also is it worth it to clean the carbon of the exhaust ports and the head so it doesnt build up as much.

crazyatvn
06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Valve seals pull off and push on. Very easy. I would clean the carbon off the ports and valve why not it is off the bike. I took mine to a machine shop they cleaned it up for $20 looked brand new. It was worth my money just in time. I would lap the valves a little too.

duke416ex
06-03-2005, 07:44 AM
The seals aren't hard, it is just a pain to get to them if you don't have a spring compressor. When I do them I just try to get someone to take a magnetic screwdriver and get the clips while I compress the springs with a wood handle. If you can find a deal on a compressor though I would buy one. Other than that, like the other guy said, they just slide on and off.

crazyatvn
06-03-2005, 02:18 PM
i made my own spring compressor works great everyone I know borrows it when they do there motor.

2001300exguy
06-03-2005, 02:25 PM
i have a spring compressor so its not that hard

duke416ex
06-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by crazyatvn
i made my own spring compressor works great everyone I know borrows it when they do there motor.

Post some pics of it, and what did you use?

crazyatvn
06-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Here is a picture of the spring compressor I made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/crazyatvn/DSCF4051.jpg

chucked
06-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I know of another way you can do it. I know its been done on automotive engines, and it just might work for u, im not sure... BUT!!! Put the engine at TDC and take the valve cover off. Now this next part could be the tricky part... You need to pressurize the cylinder with air, What my neighbor did with his engines was he took a spark plug, cut it off at the threads, he then welded an air fitting onto the threads, so he then threaded the newly made contraption into the spark plug hole and put his air onto it to pressurize the cylinder. This keeps the valves from falling out. next you gotta somehow release the spring and get the keeper out, ive never tried this on a 400ex motor, I could prolly figure out hwo to do it, I just havent had the valve cover off more then once, I dont really remember what it looks like in there.