PDA

View Full Version : Removing Swing Arm Pivot Bolt HELP QUICK

FoxRacing81
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I need help here guys, quick! My mechanic can't get the swingarm bolt out of my quad. He has been trying for a while to get it out. He finally got the nut off it and let the bolt soak in penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and it didn't move. He took heat to it and got it to move about 4 inches...but thats it. He's tried hitting it back in and back out and still only moves about 4 inches out. He's running out of things to try. His last resort if to try and get a sawzall in there and hack at it, but he doesn't know if they will be room to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all on how to get this thing out?? I need to know really soon...he said if he got it out tonight, he'd get it back to me for tomorrow so I can race saturday....but if not, this will be 4 weeks I haven't had my quad. So please anyone if you have any idea that might help, post it!

Also, if anyone knows if theres room to cut the bolt out, let me know. Thanks!

-Justin

duke416ex
06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
If it moved 4" it should come out. Look down at the swinger and you should be able to see the bolt, when he moves it back and forth see if one of the sleeves is froze on it, if so try to break it loose. If not the just keep wacking. Mine was froze on a sleeve but it wouldn't move and I had to cut it out. A new one is only like $20 from planet honda.

theTman
06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
keep wacking and have someone move the swinger up and down....we had to do this the 1st time i took mine out...

400ex28
06-02-2005, 04:06 PM
yeah that thing is a ***** :chinese:

Chino
06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
first time i ever took mine out i got the bolt to move flush with the frame and that was all. Took it to a buddy and had him use a plasma cutter on it to cut it out. Long story short, take it out frequently and grease it up or you will be doing the same thing each time u do a rebuild.

Rico
06-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Cut it out

parkers30
06-03-2005, 09:21 AM
cut it our before you crack your case or something else, its cheap to replace

06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
first off, find a new mechanic.. secondly, use KROIL itll fall out with that stuff.. And heres my new theroy.. IF YOU BEAT IT HARD ENOUGH, IT WILL MOVE.

Jesse

NacsMXer
06-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
first off, find a new mechanic.. secondly, use KROIL itll fall out with that stuff.. And heres my new theroy.. IF YOU BEAT IT HARD ENOUGH, IT WILL MOVE.

Jesse

Keyword being "IT" here. You beat on that swingarm bolt hard enough and it's still frozen to the sleeves, than "it" will be your frame spreading apart instead. Hopefully he gets lucky :ermm:

Juggalo
06-03-2005, 11:28 AM
ricos right..jesses prob wrong (lol). when i took mine out i tried EVERY trick in the book. nothing worked so i ended up having to cut it out.

FoxRacing81
06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I need a new mechanic why?

Yeah I just bought a new bolt from the parts store, so its gonna get cut out monday.

stever250r
06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Im not sure if you have access to this but if you can find someone who has a rivit gun, and an air source you can get it out. Might try a local fabrication or metal shop.

We use this quite frequently in the aviation maintenance business to remove bolts that are frozen in the bearings. Works like a small jackhammer... combination of light force at frequent or fast repetitions works wonders.

ReconRider25
06-03-2005, 05:34 PM
i used a long bolt/bar and stuck in on the end and pounded with a hammer. came right out. and dont forget to loosen the chain. makes it alot easier.;) and after you get the new one in, regrease it atleast every couple months. have fun cuttin it out.

HondaRacing23
06-11-2005, 07:01 AM
what kind of grease would you recomend using to grease the swing arm. any kind of grease or like bearing grease. something waterproof im assuming too...

nosliw
06-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing23
what kind of grease would you recomend using to grease the swing arm. any kind of grease or like bearing grease. something waterproof im assuming too...

yea, marine grease or somehting like that. i use white lithium (the crap in a tub not the spray)

JDiablo
06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
[B IF YOU BEAT IT HARD ENOUGH, IT WILL MOVE.

Jesse [/B]

im sure it will

HondaRacing23
06-11-2005, 04:05 PM
i just cutt my swing arm offf with a air grinder. I was hitting the bolt so damn hard it started bending my frame i dont think i had any other choice then to cutt it off. Im getting a lonestar monday so i guess its all good. kinda pissed that i had to cutt it off but I had to get it off somehow.

FoxRacing81
06-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah...now my mechanic cant get the other piece outta my frame to put my motor in...figures :(

HondaRacing23
06-11-2005, 05:34 PM
im cutting my swing arm off nott he bolt but the arm i have heated it up red hot and have hit it so hard that its bending my frame. not alone the dent i put in it hitting it. so im going to see if my brothers air cutter will cutt it off i already ordered a new swing arm today lonestar +1 $505 fix but **** happens i guess.

WKY400EX
06-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
Yeah...now my mechanic cant get the other piece outta my frame to put my motor in...figures :( Turn the quad on its side and soak the stuck part in PB Blaster or Aerokroil. Really soak it. Let it sit for a few minutes. Try using a punch and a hammer to get the stuck piece out. It seems like if you do this, the stuck piece comes out easier. Maybe it's just centering the power from the hammer blow?:confused: This is what I had to do to mine. It sucks, I know. Just make sure to keep the bolt greased up next time!

HondaRacing23
06-13-2005, 08:36 PM
i got the swing arm off with an air grinder CUTT the ba$tard off haha. Now the bolt is stuck in the motor and i cant get it off. I have THRUST by CASTLE I got from work and soak it tonight and im going to let it sit over nigt and take it to work and see if they cant get it out. any ideas on how to get it out if they cant... thanks

FoxRacing81
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Eh, he got it out somehow. I believe he pounded on it with a brass drift for about an hour and it came out but I don't remember if that is what he said. Oh well...35 bucks for new bolt, 6 bucks for new nut, and 65 bucks for an All Balls Bearing kit...so $106 we have a solution.....not counting the 40 dollars in sawzall blades.

-Justin