PDA

View Full Version : Black Widows and rear link

YFZCHAMP
06-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I will get pictures up soon but here it is, the review so far of my new Black Widow shocks:

Front triple rate zps: the front end once you get the hang of adjusting the high compression and low comp (hint: they work best when they are adjusted the oppisite direction)can take care of any bump jump rut or whoops almost like your on flat ground! They front rebound is touchy (sensative) but when you get the adjustments down, MY GOD they are sweet.

The REAR BLACK WIDOW: dual rate w/ high & Low compression adj , rebound, and ride height adj. This is a little more tricky because the springs in the back are massive (WORKS HIT A HOMER HERE) but inspite of that the ride is good and it soaks up flat landings and big air jumps with no effort and no jolts to the rider(ME). second reason the adjustment is tricky is the rebound and compresion work in conjunction to each other, in other words if you want a softer ride not only do you adj the comp but the rebound, lowering the comp will slightly lessen the rebound as well so down one up one, once you get this just right, IT IS THE BEST RIDE EVER.

ONE GIANT FOOT NOTE: TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE REAR BLACK WIDOW, GET A LONG TRAVEL LINK FROM ELKA OR HERRMANNRACING.COM IT MAKES YOUR rear end long travel this is a must and well worth the fee.

I have +2 Herrman racing A-Arms, the constuction and gussetting on these are out standing and the cost is very low for the value.

More as the ride goes on. :cool:

wheeliemaster
06-03-2005, 09:31 AM
i dont know, i still think i like my elkas better because they are more softer on the little jumps but dont bottom out on 85 feet tables when you overclear it by 15-20feet.as for the a-arms the herrmann racing a-arms are very nice looking and are really beefed up and i dont think they will ever break.

michael # 5

YFZCHAMP
06-03-2005, 10:07 AM
I have ridden your quad buddy, IT is STIFF< STIFF< STIFF.

Yes, I liked my Elkas but these are a way nice ride, once I got the front end figured out, the ride is very soft, on the Black Widows.

And you have bottomed out your back shock, your battery box looks like you took a chain saw to it Mikey.

I think in the end, both Elka and Now the Works Black Widows are worth the money, just comes down to what you prefer. BTW, you should ride my quad for practice one of these days and give me your opinion??? What do you think?

OH' Yeah, Congrads on the 4stroke expert title mike!!!!
Your jumps are the bomb dude, took my breath away twice and you didn't crash nice!!!:eek:

06-03-2005, 01:12 PM
How much are the widows??? When are you going to post pics?
(a little anxious):D

YFZCHAMP
06-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by sinister450
How much are the widows??? When are you going to post pics?
(a little anxious):D

Yes I will post pictures as soon as the film is developed.

fronts w/o sponsorship $way adjustable $1040 pair

rear w/o sponsor 4way adjustable : 840

these are ten steps beyond last years Works shocks, a total break thru.

Go through a dealer and get pacjage deal, If you use Herrmannracing.com Tell Brad (owner) I sent you, and get the rear link It makes a good set up great.

06-07-2005, 08:01 AM
I hate it when I clear an 85 foot table by 25 feet. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: LOL;)

YFZCHAMP
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Mike is an animal, the quad can barely handle his action, makes me feel conservative watching that nut. If Mikey can keep his quad from breaking he is in line to become a very good pro, now I have to keep up with him. :cool:

wheeliemaster
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
thanks partner, i getting better every day and i will hopefully be able to be even faster with my HERRMANN LT a-arms and ELKA longtravel front shocks, i also got 4-1 offset douglas shamrock billet beadlocks so hopefully i wont bend those like i bent those .190's.so now i am hoping i wont be bending stuff like usual.

mike # 5

YFZCHAMP
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Congrads: I am selling my durablue axle (just got it back in the mail) and the Elka's so I can afford a swingarm that wont break, Where are you coming up with the cash for this stuff MIKEY????
Until I get my stuff sold want to switch swingarms again for the welded one?

PS: I ordered my photos from Ken, your are pretty sharp you should get them!

wheeliemaster
06-07-2005, 05:23 PM
ya, just come up and get the welded swingarm and we will weld the other one up.this saturday me and landry are driving up to that kid that had the orange #53 yfz at riverdale and landry is buying a yoshi tri oval pipe from him.
did you hear that july 3rd is the playday at riverdale and the high point presentation.then the summer series starts july 9-10.

mike # 5

YFZCHAMP
06-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Good for Landry, I didn't know about the 3rd, I will come up for the swingarm one of these days. I havebeen pimping for money sponsors, I have been taking it a tad easy until I have the bike dialed in and STILL I cracked the swingarm. No luck at all I guess.

On the 3rd I will try to get the quad dialed in so I can be hard on the throttle all the time, and try to clear everything by the same margin you do.... Probably not on the last thing, but still would be fun to try. :cool: :D

YFZCHAMP
06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
here are some pics

YFZCHAMP
06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
and another

YFZCHAMP
06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
just one more

rpyfz450
07-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by YFZCHAMP
And you have bottomed out your back shock, your battery box looks like you took a chain saw to it Mikey.

I'd like to see a picture of that damaged box, if you have one. Did it get damaged only on the right side assuming only the caliper hit it?

YFZCHAMP
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
will try to remember to take one for you, I snapped the tabs off the front of mine landing a squirley jump, I need to find a better way forsure:cool:

Out_Sider
07-12-2005, 10:54 AM
not tryin to 'start' anything, but it looks to me like your ride height is a little on the high side, of course that could jsut be the pic, or the suspension may just sag a good bit when you're on the quad

rpyfz450
07-12-2005, 01:28 PM
I have been taking it a tad easy until I have the bike dialed in and STILL I cracked the swingarm. No luck at all I guess.

Was that a 2004 or 2005 swingarm? I'm trying to find out of there's any truth to the rumor 05 had better swingarms. Right now I own one of each and can't tell them apart!

YFZCHAMP
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
not tryin to 'start' anything, but it looks to me like your ride height is a little on the high side, of course that could jsut be the pic, or the suspension may just sag a good bit when you're on the quad

all of my shocks have SSD, and is really low when I sit on it, but good eye anyway.

YFZCHAMP
07-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by rpyfz450
Was that a 2004 or 2005 swingarm? I'm trying to find out of there's any truth to the rumor 05 had better swingarms. Right now I own one of each and can't tell them apart!

05 are better than 04 but still can't take the abuse of riding if you jump or hit ruts for very long.

I just put a HERRMANN RACING SWINGARM ON MY YFZ, it is extremely heavy duty, Mike has not broke his, so It is very unlikely I will. Go after market if able, you will be pleased, but if your not blasting thru whoops or ruts, or big jumps, hold out until you need th parts, why spend if you don't have to.

rpyfz450
07-13-2005, 07:17 AM
05 are better than 04 but still can't take the abuse of riding if you jump or hit ruts for very long.

Better in what way? I easily cracked an 04, replaced it with another 04 which hasn't cracked yet, and bought an 05 swingarm that looks identical to the 04. Another friend who has an 04 and 05 can't tell them apart either. Are you still sure the 05 is better?

YFZCHAMP
07-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Yeah I am sure, Kory Ellis who I know in passing has ran until recently his stock 05 swingarm in the nationals, and only broke one from a huge over jump. The 05 was beefed un on the inside where is generally cracks and the yamaha guys stated they used a different metal composite as well for more stength, Now having said this, I would go aftermarket as soon as your buget will allow( I am speaking about everyone in general should switch), not just he person I was replying to.

In the end, it is ALL BREAKABLE, so best of luck out there!

YFZCHAMP
07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I had a bizarre experience last saturday, I just put on my new HERRMANN RACING swingarm. It is very beefy I doubt I will be able to break this one. But it created an unknown problem which is this:
the new swingarm is 20lbs heavier than stock (you can't tell when riding) and I have a long travel rear link for my dual rate pro Black widow shock. What happened it the weight is directly on the shock and with the long travel link, I could not tune the shock in at all, ran like my rear shock had been strapped down.

I fixed this by putting the stock link back in, I still have to tune it but , I can tune it now.

I am sharing this incase anyone else noticed this problem or a similar one. I only weight 139 so a bigger guy might not have the same issue becasue his comp on his rear shock is set way heavier.

Took a long (far behind ) 3rd last saturday, looked very poor as a new pro, hope to improve.