PDA

View Full Version : stiff pull after cable

QuadJunkies
06-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Im having more stuiffness than the norm w/ my Cluch . I went ahead and replaced a new cable w/ a ne cable just in case and ITs still stiff ,kinda binds up you can hear a small noise when pulling the lever like a binding noise.(hard to explain sound ) Anyhow, would this poassiibly be my Basket ??? Springs?? I have aftermarket springs of some kind, not sure what though when I had my motor done 1.5 years ago. I do still have my stock Basket, which I knew soon I should be changing out :o but funds wer alot more tight this year and I wanted suspention first ;)
whats your thoughts on what to check and whats the best pricing for a new Basket? Do I go Hinson or Barnett???

Rico
06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Put a rag over you front plastic and spray the hell out of the clutch lever where it moves in the perch. It will probably fix the problem Tina. I take my lever off and disassemble it at least 2 times a year to clean it and lube it up.

I"d also suggest the Hinson basket.

QuadJunkies
06-02-2005, 11:26 AM
We will try that first... thanks :)

Rico, can you tell me any differences w/ Hinson and Barnett???

Rico
06-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

Rico, can you tell me any differences w/ Hinson and Barnett???

Not from experience but Every Pro Racer both dirtbikes and quads run Hinson baskets on top of the gazillion amatuers... His have been thoroughly tested... LOL

2004exrider
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
haha funny avatar rico, sorry.

QuadJunkies
06-02-2005, 11:49 PM
HOLY COW! We called Duncan to get a prcie for a Hinson w/ plates basket and springs... 850.00 bones :eek:

Troy said its already been cleaned to the Max, he said something about the lever having an oval shape to it now instead of round?? :confused: I think Ill try the cheapest method first and go ahead and order a new one then go from there.

TCracin440ex
06-03-2005, 12:33 AM
well your clutch springs could be getting weak...that will cause you to have a really stiff cable...but you could also try buying a new clutchlever and perch

06-03-2005, 12:36 AM
hrmm.. 850 for a hinson setup? i got mine plus new barnett springs for 320 bux shipped off of ebay, new in the box..

i priced the setup from a local shop and it was around 5 bills..

Definatly a good setup!

Jesse

TCracin440ex
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
try a new clutch kit first....they are like 98 dollars w/ new gasket....comes with springs, steels and fibers

QuadJunkies
06-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
well your clutch springs could be getting weak...that will cause you to have a really stiff cable...but you could also try buying a new clutchlever and perch ;)

TCracin440ex
06-03-2005, 12:48 AM
here even took the liberty to look up a cheap place to get them...barnette racing clutches...i swear by them....

magic racing 89.95 plus 9.95 for a new gasket cant beat it with a stick atleast i dont think so anyways

http://www.magicracing.com/product.asp?itemid=289&catid=220

khen
06-03-2005, 07:19 AM
My clutch lever bushing was ovaled out as well and it was difficult to pull. I also have heavy duty clutch springs which didn't help. I ended out just ordering me a new Magura hydraulic clutch kit off of ebay for $175 and it's some of the best money I've spent on my quad. I can pull it with 2 fingers easily now and I have no more arm pump. :D

Dave400ex
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Just get the Hinson basket with the Sparks or GT Thunder 8 plate kit! Much cheaper then the full Hinson, and both work very well...

yamablaster24
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
How exactly does the Magura setup work? I mean what all does it replace?

khen
06-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
How exactly does the Magura setup work? I mean what all does it replace? Magura setup replaces your whole clutch lever assembly including your cable with a hydraulic clutch lever and line. You do lose your parking brake(block it off) and the switch that keeps your quad from starting when in gear when the clutch is not pulled. But you cut quite a bit of weight by removing the assemblies as well.. and that alone is a fair trade off for me. :)

TCracin440ex
06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
i do not trust a magura hydrolic clutch to save my life nothin would suck more than bein stuck on a trail or wherever because you burnt a hole in the rubber hose and lost all your hydrolic fluid

QuadJunkies
06-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by khen
My clutch lever bushing was ovaled out as well and it was difficult to pull. I also have heavy duty clutch springs which didn't help. I ended out just ordering me a new Magura hydraulic clutch kit off of ebay for $175 and it's some of the best money I've spent on my quad. I can pull it with 2 fingers easily now and I have no more arm pump. :D I wouldnt even know what to do w/ myself if I didnt get arm pump..!!!..:huh :p

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 01:33 PM
here even took the liberty to look up a cheap place to get them...barnette racing clutches...i swear by them....

magic racing 89.95 plus 9.95 for a new gasket cant beat it with a stick atleast i dont think so anyways

http://www.magicracing.com/product.asp?itemid=289&catid=220 TCracin440ex~~ So this kit only consists of the friction plates and for 9.95 more the clutch cover gasket ,correct??? Whats the difference between the stock plates and the Barnett?? And how many of them is there(barnett) There ard some signs showing that they do need replaced, afterall... They are 2.5 years old and stock ,not bad for original plates!:D WE had the springs replaced(tighter springs) last year so I think the plates are all we need right now.

We bought a new lever and made very little difference if any... :ermm:

TCracin440ex
06-05-2005, 02:07 PM
yes the kit comes with the steels, fibers, and springs for 89.95, plus an extra 9.95 for gasket...i dont kno the difference between the stock plates and barnette...i know ive ran barnette clutches in my old 92 250x and they were great...i think its something to do with the kevlar on them or something...not sure....but the kit is worth it...it comes with everything needed...all the plates 6 steels and 6 fibers i think...and springs....they springs are HD springs you could proally put them back for a later date but if it was me id change the springs too because whats the point of using old springs with a new clutch esp if the kit came with new springs

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 02:47 PM
6 plates??? IF the Hinson comes w/8 wouldnt stock be 7??? Sorry, Im still learning all this stuff. ;) I guess i coudl call Barnett to find out more info, do you know off hand what the website is to get there phone number???

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
nevermind, I found there site... thanks :)

TCracin440ex
06-05-2005, 03:09 PM
yea i think it is 7...i couldnt recall right off hand ive never replaced clutches on my 400ex yet

gojk
06-05-2005, 04:00 PM
i do not trust a magura hydrolic clutch to save my life nothin would suck more than bein stuck on a trail or wherever because you burnt a hole in the rubber hose and lost all your hydrolic fluid

They have a stainless steel line you could buy. Also, I have broke more clutch cables that I have had probs with the Magura. The line gets routed far away from anything hot, until it is attached to the slave cylinder in which it has a mount that doesn't let it get close to the head pipe.

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I know one guy who came down to FT track one winter here and had the Hydraulic clutch and it froze up he ended up DNF..

gojk
06-05-2005, 04:11 PM
That is weird, I live in AZ so I don't ever have to worry about that. Maybe Magura should try and convert to hydraulic fluid rather than that mineral oil they use. I would guess the freezing point of the hydraulic fluid is much lower than the mineral oil.

TCracin440ex
06-05-2005, 04:26 PM
i still say the new clutch kit is the way to go...f- payin all that money for a magura hydrolic clutch and that might not solve the problem....im almost willing to put money on there if you put a new clutch and new springs in her bike it will correct the problem...

gojk
06-05-2005, 05:10 PM
i still say the new clutch kit is the way to go...f- payin all that money for a magura hydrolic clutch and that might not solve the problem....im almost willing to put money on there if you put a new clutch and new springs in her bike it will correct the problem...

I agree with you. I was simply stating that the Magura isn't that unrealiable not that it was the fix to the current problem.

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 05:22 PM
i im almost willing to put money on there if you put a new clutch and new springs in her bike it will correct the problem... well dont be shy..

I could always use a few extra parts and a new sponsor......!!! :D :blah: :p

I am sure this will correct my problem also.....

TCracin440ex
06-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

I could always use a few extra parts and a new sponsor......!!! :D :blah: :p

what u mean a few extra parts and a new sponsor...

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
what u mean a few extra parts and a new sponsor... it ws a joke(you said you would almost be willing to put money on it lol ) :p ;)

QuadJunkies
06-05-2005, 07:27 PM
well, I went ahead and ordered the one from Magic racing, it should be here in two days so Ill know how much it made a diffence here in a few more days :)

FoxRacing81
06-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Lemme know how it works for you QuadJunkies. I have a feeling thats what I will need soon. I have replaced just about every piece in my motor so far, so I guess the clutch/tranny is next to go out.

Thanks
-Justin

QuadJunkies
06-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by MX610EX
Lemme know how it works for you QuadJunkies. I have a feeling thats what I will need soon. I have replaced just about every piece in my motor so far, so I guess the clutch/tranny is next to go out.

Thanks
-Justin will do ;)

QuadJunkies
06-10-2005, 12:07 AM
well, Im dissapointed.... We got the Barnett on tonight and ..........

ITs stiffer than it was STOCK!!! :huh :mad: Now I have to get used to even a stiffer pull! :(

MY hubby said that the stock actually looked VERY good had very little signs of really needing replaced, we thought it would be much worse EVERYTHING has been replaced now so I dunno :confused:
Now I want to do the thoddle mod to the spring on the throddle(not sure on all that yet), I have a freind who done it on the YFZ and he said its like butter now
Ill get to test out the clutch more this next week at the dunes so Ill be able to get a better idea how it feels then ;)

TCracin440ex
06-10-2005, 01:24 AM
take your clutch cable off at the perch...hold it up and shoot a shyt load of wd-40 down inside the cable housing or whatever u wanna call it...keep sprayin until you see it run out the other end....even tho its new she might need a lil bit of lube...

TCracin440ex
06-10-2005, 01:52 AM
it might be stiff for a lil while because you have to rebreak the clutch in...i hope before yall put the clutches in that yall soaked them in a bucket of oil...

EDIT:

OH yea dont forget to adjust your cable back because you got a new clutch in it now you can put it back to stock position just about or yall need to pay with the cable until your comfy on where your clutch starts pulling at and such....just a reminder incase yall didnt do that

QuadJunkies
06-10-2005, 10:39 AM
it might be stiff for a lil while because you have to rebreak the clutch in...i hope before yall put the clutches in that yall soaked them in a bucket of oil...

We did.. Thats the instructions Barnett stresses on I noticed ;)

So, its OK to lube the snot out of the cable??? I know he did do it once already, he said he could find nothing wrong w/ anything...

Maybe Im just getting old and whiny...lol...... :ermm: :o

FoxRacing81
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey, for the thing on throttle, dunno if this is what your talking about, but on my old 250r, it had a twist an I bought and rigged a 250x thumb throttle. There was supposed to be a spring inside the thumb throttle assmelby thing, but I just left it out and relied on the cable to the pull the throttle back. Made the throttle 100% easier to use. I didn't do this with my EX. I was riding it once and my thumb locked up from it being so stiff.

QuadJunkies
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by MX610EX
Hey, for the thing on throttle, dunno if this is what your talking about, but on my old 250r, it had a twist an I bought and rigged a 250x thumb throttle. There was supposed to be a spring inside the thumb throttle assmelby thing, but I just left it out and relied on the cable to the pull the throttle back. Made the throttle 100% easier to use. I didn't do this with my EX. I was riding it once and my thumb locked up from it being so stiff.

Im going to post the link when I get more info on the throddle Mod.. ITs just small modification to the spring ,some are cutting the spring(but like our freind said, seems like cutting it would make it tighter ?) I just know when we ride in sand alot and your constantly in thorddle mode, it would be nice to have a throddle adj. so it doesnt tire so fast.

Mr Limpy
06-26-2005, 10:10 PM
I am having the same problem. CLUTCH IS HARD TO PULL. How come nobody has suggested what the 400 ex shop manual reads. And this is right out of the trouble shooting section. CLUTCH LEVER TOO HARD:

1) Damaged, kinked or dirty clutch cable. (You replaced it so that eliminates this one).

2) Improperly routed clutch cable. (Highly doubt this one, no one is that stupid).

3) Damaged clutch lifter mechanism (thinking this might be a posability).

4) Faulty cluth lifter plate bearing, ( or maybe this one).

Well let me know how you fix the problem because I am having the same problem.

QuadJunkies
06-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Mr . Limpy~~ ANYTHING thats replaceable has been replaced.. Im just gonna ride it this way, my ole man adj. the pull a little for me and its better somewhat,but not a whole lot. I have done two oil changes this past week on it, the first was like tar black! I had no time to break it in before my trip so I bokre it in over the wk end at the dunes. I guess Im just stuck w/ it on my qud this way :ermm: Now Im interested in the throddle mod (spring mod)

Best of luck to you :)

Tina