PDA

View Full Version : ATV for beginner 6 y.o (eton? honda?)

towski
06-02-2005, 12:08 AM
I've been reading and doing a lot of research and have found that E-Ton is "well-known" for it's mini's. My son is a beginner and just turned 6. I'm looking for a good atv that is strong, safe, and one he could get some good use for 2 years or so...The E-Ton Viper 70 seemed like a good ride with the power, etc. One he could "grow into". Great safety like the 50M. Only thing I am not sure of his the physical fit for the 70 (he is 4' tall and 50 lbs.). Also, is it that big of a step from the 50M to the 70 for the control? A friend who rides recommended the Honda trx90...that seemed rather "powerful for a 6 y.o.", plus it involved shifting. Less to worry about the better, I feel. Especially for a beginner? Looking for others' opinions & experience. Thanks.

212racing
06-02-2005, 01:44 AM
shifting is not a problem.

try many brands and see what fits him. seat height, throttle ease,
brake lever size, etc....... what is your future riding plans. see what others think of the models you have in mind.

Livin4Real
06-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Steer clear of the micro mini's. Go with a full size 50 or 70 you will get much more use out of it than with the smaller ones.

400freak
06-02-2005, 08:09 AM
My son rode a trx 90 from the time he was 6. Some good things about it were that he could grow into it and by that I mean he wasn't changing atv's every year and learning new characteristics. He didn't have to shift, in fact we started out by putting it in gear for him and left it there no need to worry about shifting and it could only go so fast. The trx also comes with a screw in throttle limiter that keeps it from going faster than you would like. Resale for this machine was a snap. Hope this helps a little.

Samson
06-02-2005, 08:31 AM
For a 6 year old, I would go with a cvt. Shifting is a problem for some kids and they have enough to learn without worrying about what gear to be in. I would also look for something with a foot brake. The hand levers are often large for the little ones. One size does not fit all. Get the bigger engine unless your area is restricted by law and use the throttle screw to keep the speed down.

Best bang for the buck = GPX Raider 90 ($1399 plus s/h)

Others to consider would be Kasea and LRX.

towski
06-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks all for your help. We'll be looking next week with him so he can sit and ride and test all out. Seems like most find the 90 range better suited. Obviously comes down to comfort for my son and comfort for the pocket book. ;) We have a great area out in Folsom, CA (Prairie City) for dirtbikes and atvs and much more....so riding area is a cool thing as we also camp and enjoy ocean/dune rides....thanks, again.

BLAZE1
06-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey my roomate is from folsom...my uncle lives there too but not by choice.

I would go with the trx90 if you can afford it.

foleyit
06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Samson
For a 6 year old, I would go with a cvt. Shifting is a problem for some kids and they have enough to learn without worrying about what gear to be in. I would also look for something with a foot brake. The hand levers are often large for the little ones. One size does not fit all. Get the bigger engine unless your area is restricted by law and use the throttle screw to keep the speed down.

Others to consider would be Kasea and LRX.

[QUOTE] Orginally posted by Livin4Real
Go with a full size 50 or 70 you will get much more use out of it than with the smaller ones. [QUOTE]

I agree with these guys.

reese5171
06-02-2005, 07:13 PM
we have had very good luck with our eton 70 my son is 6 started racing it when he was 5 had a raptor 50 before what a piece of crap i do agree with samson no foot brake is a draw back also pay attention to the suspensions re big differences in how much thought is put into them

47501exracer
06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
My son has an Eton 70 and I think it is a great quad. You can adjust the governor for whatever speed your youngster is capable of handling. The lack of foot brakes is no problem with us.

Jailor EX
06-03-2005, 11:56 PM
My son is 4 and is not quite 4 ft tall and weighs just almost 45 pounds. I got him an 05 eton 90 and he does awsome on it. The only difference in the quad size between the 90 and the 70 is the tires and of course the engine. He rides at the dunes here in Oregon and I just adjust the throttle to what ever the terrain is or he is going to need. I would have to say that I would definately go with a CVT and not have them worrie about learning to shift yet. As for the foot break it hasn't been a problem not having one. Eton is a great bike and seems to have great safety features. I also had the remote kill and start installed which I really like also.

ohski
06-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Dylan is 6 and we just put him on a new Eton 70. This is his first quad and he can already rip on it.

Wade

Admin
06-06-2005, 05:59 PM
check out www.kidatvs.com for some youth ATVs. They are offering discounts to members, and the owner has been a member for several years.

Samson
06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Admin
check out www.kidatvs.com for some youth ATVs. They are offering discounts to members, and the owner has been a member for several years.

Been hearing real good things about those Unison 90's.

polarisgirl
09-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Hello, My daughter just turned 8yrs old (she weighs just under 50 lbs). She just started riding & racing this year. Although they are not real popular, we purchased her a 2005 Polaris Predator 90. They are great! They are fully automatic and even have reverse. It is the perfect trail riding 4 wheeler! For racing, you can purchase aftermarket parts through Hedricks racing! Even though this is my daughter's 1st year racing, Everyone calls her the holeshot queen. She pulls the holeshot just about every time! She just took an overall 2nd place in the womens championship! When she races against the boys, she usually finshes mid pack! (She's even racing against 13yr olds!) The other quads also have a lot more modifications then her quad. The only modifications she has is a pipe, clutch kit, cdi box, k&n filter and new tires. Not only has it been a very dependable quad, but it is (by far) the nicest looking mini quad out there! Go into your local Polaris dealer and check them out!

qwadfather
09-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Ken And Steve's Excellent Adventure Skyhawk 90!

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 09:33 PM
there a few good minis out there these days, the Kasea, Eton ,Honda the list goes on...

We have had experience with Kasea 90 and the Eton 50, we now have our 50 modded to a 70 and it does VERY well !Im a firm believer in putting your child on a quad that FITS the child not "growing into" a quad.
My Son is now 8 and its still hanging with sotck 90's and eve na few slightly modded ones racing

The nice thing about the brands I listed is as your child grows, you can get a few more years out of them threw aftermarket companies that offer power up kits/suspention.

Best of luck in whatever you buy! ;)

dirtmomma
09-07-2005, 07:41 AM
WEll I'll pipe in here LOL ;) WE have 5 mini's, TRX90,LT80,Kasea mini50,LEM condor, & our newest one the Kasea skyhawk 50!!

Out of ALL of those the Skyhawk & TRX are the BEST ones, our son is also 6, has been riding on his own since he was about 4, he started on the LT80 but it was too big(he's a lil guy plus it's modded to a 105) so we got the LEM, well he rode that for 2 yrs but we couldn't mod it enough to keep up w/ the other mini's racing so we got the Kasea mini 50(by mistake :o ) but he has fun on that!! WE finally went w/ the KSkyhawk 50 as we can do LOTS to it, it's a "full size" mini, suits his needs GREAT!! He can ride the TRX90 but can't quite shift so If I was you I would go w/ a CVT tranny they can learn to shift when they get older!! He actually can shift now, his brother is teaching him to ride his race blaster :eek2: :blah: w/ big brother on the back of course it's pretty funny to watch LOL

GOOD LUCK & have fun w/ the mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!