PDA

View Full Version : Pic's of Elka Elite w/NEW Linkage...

Pepto_Bismol
06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Here is a full set of elka elites with the new linkage. For reference, there is a paint stir stick in the picture that measures exaclty 12 inches long, and 1 inch wide...When I get my A-Arms and Swingarms, I will write a full review.....

http://members.cox.net/peptob/elka/elka_set.jpg

Here is a picture of the rear shock and linkage, not yet installed (obviously!).

http://members.cox.net/peptob/elka/linka.jpg

Pepto:cool:

06-01-2005, 10:45 PM
looks pretty :macho

im thinkin about that rear linkage aswell, i have the normal 1 right now, but the new 1 adds 1 more inch of travel on top of what the old 1 did, so who knows :macho

jrspawn
06-02-2005, 05:19 AM
Will that linkage work with an elka shock that was built for the older elka linkage. Im not sure exactly how long it is, but i was bought with the linkage originally. Also what is the price on the new linkage setup?

thank you
justin
jrspawn@aol.com

spincr4hire
06-02-2005, 06:33 AM
retail is $395. I'll be on the phone with Elka today to find out the details on using an existing rear Elka thats setup for the old Elka link.

ESrider
06-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey Justin,

From what I've read the new Elka link will use a 17" shock. How do you like the Honda?

bradley300
06-02-2005, 07:55 AM
wow, looks like they throw in a free paint stirrer to sweeten the deal, might have to give elka a call:cool: lol

spincr4hire
06-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Just called Elka. It requires a new 17" shock, roughly $1250 for the whole deal.

Pepto_Bismol
06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
wow, looks like they throw in a free paint stirrer to sweeten the deal, might have to give elka a call:cool: lol

That's what topped off the deal. I was on the fence until they said they would throw the paint stick in...then I went for it! :p

Here is a link to the spec sheet on the new linkage. Sorry, I did not mention as spincr4hire found out, no, this linkage is not backwards compatible. It requires a new shock.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/files/TRX450R-ProDualLinkage.pdf

spincr4hire
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
can't wait for the review, Pepto.
I may have an Elka rear and old style link for sale...:D

hardkoratvmxr
06-02-2005, 12:20 PM
dayum veryvery nice

T2RACING
06-02-2005, 12:38 PM
That is nice

bbrad mulvey
06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
that does look nice:) I just want to see he thoughts on it and my elka shock and link will be fore sale as well, so that make two people here that will be changine to the new stuff, so everybody looking for upgrading better subscribe to this thread;)

bbrad mulvey
06-02-2005, 02:07 PM
wow I just realized that like a $3700.02 dollar piture including the stir stick:eek:

Dave400ex
06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
That linkage is awesome looking. I can't wait to read the review. I'm sure there will be a night and day difference compared to stock. I wonder how it compares to the Houser? I thought the Houser used a 17" shock too.

trick450r
06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
nice...my rear link and rear elite will be here tomarrow morning...how long did it take yours to get their? i ordered mine monday morning and it will be here tomarrow haha...

Pepto_Bismol
06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Elka shipped last Friday, two day air, but due to Memorial Day holiday, (With much respect for those who serve!), I did not receive them until Wednesday (June 1st).

I am not complaining.

Smoker
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
The Houser does use the same size shock, the Elka says 12" and the Houser has 11.5 inches of travel. The stock leverage ratio goes from 2.94 (very soft) to 1.79 (very stiff). The Houser leverage ratio goes from 2.70 (soft) to 2.0 (not as stiff as stock). The Elka has motion ratio of 4.0 to 1.8. The exact difference between leverage and motion ratio, I am unsure of. My only concern with the Elka is how low does it hang down. :p

bbrad mulvey
06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I think we got a scraper!

that thing does look low, it says that you have to clearance the skid plate, I wonder how much? Def. not something that you want to "experiment with for XC I bet.

trick450r
06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
well i just installed mine, and the bottom of the link is prolly 6 inches off the ground, this is with 18's but its LOW..im racing it at jolly roger on sunday, so i'll have alittle review up for you guys on monday...

bbrad mulvey
06-04-2005, 12:44 AM
right on that sounds great! Keep us informed!And good luck!

black450r
06-04-2005, 12:46 PM
ELKAs stufff looks so nice you almost dont even want to use it.
good luck with it.

hontrx265r
06-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Any of you guys run the savior from walsh or the lonestar they both look like they mimmac a cr500 from what I've heard its awesome and doesn't hang that low.

Ty's400
06-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Let us know how it works! Only thing I'd be worried about is how low it hangs, if it really does hang low that is. Like hontrx265r said anyone run the savior or new lonestar link or even the houser. How do they work for mx?

Pepto_Bismol
06-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't have mine installed yet. But I mostly run XC and Desert, so we'll have to see.

I will also see just how much modification I will need for a skid plate, since that will be required.

As far as Houser, they claim it their linkage ONLY works with a houser swingarm. (Which is why I assume you have to also purchase the airbox lifter kit in order to use thier linkage). But I do not have houser product, so I don't know.

Can this be said about the Saviour linkage as well, (does it only work with Walsh Design?)

Elka claims this linkage will work with a variety of swingarms.

Edit: After reviewing the Saviour and the Linkage from LSR, the shock mounting points on each linkage is the lowest point on the LSR and Saviour. The place where the shock mounts on the Elka linkage seems to have about 1/2 of aluminum below that point. If they all take the same 17 inch shock, then the shock mounting hole will be the baseline comparison value, meaning that there is a bit more aluminum "meet" below where the shock mounts on the Elka linkage. But that is only from what I can tell gleaning from the pictures. Actual heights may be closer to the same when compared side by side.

BTY, it appears that the Saviour and LSR linkage work only with thier "specially designed" Swingarms. Meaning it's a package deal only.

Ok...end of Edits-

Pepto_Bismol
06-04-2005, 09:01 PM
OK,

Although it sounds like I'm plugging Elka, I'm not (yet...since I have not yet tried the parts)..

BUT

The Elka linkage is also made from a higher grade aluminum alloy (7075 T6) than what walsh is using (6061 T6).

Which is used in very highly stressed aeronautical components (we use this material for some of our space launch vehicle components)

For more reference, if you know what to look for, here is a link to general spec sheets of most aluminums...

http://www.aerospacemetals.com/aluminum.html#aircraft

Dave400ex
06-04-2005, 10:06 PM
I think the Elka linkage would work very well, I just don't like the fact you have to chop up skid plates to expose the linkage...

Out_Sider
06-05-2005, 06:54 PM
mmm Elkas and Elkas new linkage.. i think im ditchin my TCS idea :D

elkas red color is just so baaad lookin :macho

steveatv3
06-06-2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.aerospacemetals.com/aluminum.html#aircraft

Talk about one serious website:confused: I ask 1 question when it comes to medals will it make me win?

hontrx265r
06-06-2005, 02:59 PM
yes the savior and lsr are a package and they are pricey but from what I've heard if you have the cash its unstoppable. I just wanted someones opinion who has one!

Airik79mx
06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
yes the savior and lsr are a package and they are pricey but from what I've heard if you have the cash its unstoppable. I just wanted someones opinion who has one!

My friend that I race with has the Walsh Savior and it's a very nice set up. No bucking, takes the sharp edge off all of the nasty breaking bumps. It's the way to go if you can afford it.

bbrad mulvey
06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
any news yet?

trick450r
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
i was racing at Jolly Roger with the new linkage on sunday, although i went only 2.5 lapes of practice before crashing and and taking me out of the race...the linkage is UBELIEVABLE, it soaks up everything, even casing some jumps it feels like you down side em perfectly...i love this rear shock and linkage!!

bbrad mulvey
06-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Well holy jolly roger, that is good news! That sucks about the wreck though...what is cause of the shock?lol Did you have the old elka style before this or is this new to you?