PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear problem

seven
06-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I am at my wits end with this. I thought it was my clutch but I have replaced it all and it still has some problem. When you run in 5th and lug the motor my quad will lurch like you are feathering the clutch. It only does it in 5th though. I am thinking my 5th gear might be going bad but I dont know, It doesnt do it all the time. Any Ideas? This is a YFZ 450 by the way

prepracing
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
never heard of a 5th gear wearing out yet ( but I guess it could happen ). Sounds like if your lugging around in 5th that "lurch" could be caused from the motor trying to stall out. Just a thought though

seven
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Its not a studder. Its more like if you were riding and pulled in the clutch and let it out real fast. The motor will rev up and then back to operating range. I know my way around a motor pretty well but this ones got me stumped. I thougt about 5th gear going out but it doesnt feel like its jumping teeth or anything. It all started when I switched to amsoil. My clutch faded really bad. So I changed my clutch and know I am stuck with this new problem.

nosliw
06-01-2005, 09:04 PM
do you have a buddy or someone with a yfz to see if it does the same thing?

dork
06-02-2005, 12:05 AM
you probably need to replace 5th gear and or the shift forks. it sounds like the engagement dogs are getting rounded off and its popping in and out of engagement. how many hours are on it? maybe the the slippier oil reduced the friction enough to make the problem surface? just a guess. also, did your clutch slip with the amsoil? try to get it to do it, then hold the shifter up in 5th and see if its stops.

its fairly common on the yzf dirtbikes, 4th and 5th mainly, on bikes that are run hard with some miles on them. my 98 was popping out in 4th and 5th. the dogs were rounded off and the teeth on 4th were starting to pit. i thought they made the quad trannies beefier to help prevent this though.

seven
06-02-2005, 05:29 AM
That sounds more like what could be happening. I think the only way to tell for sure is take it apart. I will try holding the shifter up in 5th and see what happens later on today.