PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm Bushings

yellowWB400ex
06-01-2005, 05:36 PM
I noticed that my swing arm is wabbling all around so I think the bushings are out and I dont know even where to start. I got the nut off the long bolt that goes through the back of the motor and swing arm but cant get the bolt out, even after that I dont know what to do. Im so confused:confused: :mad:. Any and all help is wanted and appreciated.

prepracing
06-01-2005, 07:06 PM
those pivot bolts sieze up in there pretty quick even if u have a new quad, its reccommended that u take that bolt out like evrey 3 months and grease it. Anyway the only way I have been able to get mine out was once u have the nut off, put an impact gun on it and while your spinning the bolt have someone else hit it with a mallet from the other side ( be careful not to mess up the threads on the bolt ). I have actually had this work on mine as well as 2 of my friends quads also. I have also heard of people heating the bolt from both ends and in the center part of the swingarm to try and break it loose. Once u get the bolt out, then your bearings can be hammered out using a socket or something that is the same OD size as the bearings. Good Luck !

quad2xtreme
06-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Buy a 1/4" in pinpunch. The pin portion will slide inside the bolt opening and allow you to whack it harder without damaging the threads. You also don't have to worry about the punch slipping.

PROTECT your frame so you don't hit it WHEN you miss the bolt (or the pinpunch if you take my advice).

If you can't get it out hitting it with a 3-4 lb hammer, you might get stuck having someone heat it up or even torching it out. There is about a 50-50 chance your swingarm is toast anyhow. If the bolt has to be torched out, I recommend burning the swingarm off. Don't let someone screw up the bushings in your engine casings since they aren't replaceable from Honda. No use screwing up your frame either. In most cases, penetrating oil is a waste of time.

I recommend taking the airbox off and loosening the 4 bolts on the subframe so you can swing it around to the left side of the quad. It will give someone free access for heating with a torch.

A good used swingarm is going to run you about $85 on e-bay.

Highly recommend fitting the bolt with a zerk on one end and drilling six 1/16" inch holes where the bolt goes through the two engine case bushings and the two sleeves that will be in the Pivot swingarm kit you end up buying. I tapped the bolt end for the zerk and tapped the nut end for a plug. I take the plug out to insert the pinpunch when it is necessary to get the bolt back out.

/Jon

/Jon