PDA

View Full Version : Automotive style ball joints

Lethalhonda2
06-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I've read that the VW Bug tie rod is the same as the older style Leager Ball joints.How many have tried this setup with good or bad results? I have a Long travel front end and I'm a little sceptical whether I should try these or just get the Leager's.The Leager's are $60 for the pair when I can get the Bug's for $36!

Pappy
06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
the older leagers and burgard are the same, and houser also. lsr i am pretty sure has always been a touch heavier in that style due to a larger diameter shaft.

i havent found any of that style of joint that is actually better or worse then the other

K_Fulk
06-01-2005, 07:20 PM
If there long travel laegers. They should be the newer style ball joint.

Do the ball joints you have look like this?

http://www.laegerracing.com/images/Ball_Joints.jpg

If they are like that check with Houser or jb racing. Thye should be a little cheaper.

Jb uses the same ball joints as laeger. Also I just checked Housers site and there 450r regular travel arms look to use the same style ball joint also.

Lethalhonda2
06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
The A-arms are actually Aren's.Because of all the problems I had John built some of us new A-arms and told us to use Leager ball joints.He didnt say what they where other than Leager 400ex lower ball joints.I have seen the new Leager and they are integrated into the arm,these are not.So I'm assuming they are the old type of ball joint not the new.Like I said in my last post, I can get the VW Bug tie rod ends at any auto parts store for half the cost of a Leager one plus I can get it the next day.I'm just worried it might cause the same problem that I've already had.

Lethalhonda2
06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Pappy-- What is the diameter of the shaft for the Buguards?