PDA

View Full Version : Left Crankcase cover gasket

Racing Rice
05-23-2002, 05:00 PM
I have an easy question for everyone. My 250X started leaking for the left crankcase cover gasket, I bought a new one and I have the cover off right now. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions of what to do and what not to do that you learned the hardway from? Do you use anykinda gasket goo with the new gasket that you are replacing? What do you do to clean the old gasket that is stuck on the crank case?

I know these are some pretty lame questions but I want to do it right and not have to take it apart again because its still leaking.:o

05-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Make sure the old gasket is 100% cleaned off is the biggest thing, I use a new utilty blade or a gasket remover that goes in a drill to clean mine

nakomis0
05-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Special gasket goo, that you get at a autoparts store will help it seal better. If sould be fine with just the gasket, but adding 'goo' will only help.

The darn old gasket is hard to get off. Use a razor blade out of a utility knife or some other strong razor. Scrap all the big stuff off, it ussually works pretty well, getting almost all of it off .

If there is some stubborn patches still on there maybe, get a soap, water, razor combo.

Thats how I ussually do it. It takes sometime to do, but its the only good way I know.:square

Racing Rice
05-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys..

One more question I forgot.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the Cover bolts?

DEAL
05-23-2002, 07:57 PM
When i put mine on my 300ex i cleaned the old gasket off of it , i put gasket goo on one side of the gasket and grease on the other and it sealed pretty good.

nakomis0
05-23-2002, 08:18 PM
I don't know what the torque specs are. Same as the oil filter cap bolts. Basically weak bolts, just decently snug, especially on the longer ones.

I don't think the manual gives specs either. It don't need to be super tight thats what the gaskets for.

oynot400
05-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Just a note, if you use one of those gasket removal tools that goes on a drill. Be sure that you get the one that is for alumiunm (sp?) otherwise the others are too harse and will remove more than the gasket if you are not careful.
Permatex is a good gasket sealant that you can get at any autoparts store. :)