PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450 for inexperienced rider?

warriorprincess
06-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I haven't ridden very much, except for an '02 Warrior and Grizzly 600, but I really would like to get out of the woods and onto the track. I went to the Nationals this past weekend and loved it. I have always been a Yamaha fan, but is this the right bike for my first time on the track? It seems to come stock with what I would need to race the small tracks in my area. Also, I would really like something that I could ride on some easier trails still. I don't have enough money for both a utility bike and a sport.

Please help!

:confused:

1BADYFZ
06-01-2005, 09:40 AM
go for it, although the YFZ does have explosive power, if your looking for a more watered down version , honda offers the 450R:devil:

imo once you ride a YFZ you wont get on anything else

MR.BIG
06-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Go with a honda you won't be disappointed. They are a better all around machine!

warriorprincess
06-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm just not big on the kick start on the Honda, and I don't have all that extra dough to spend on the electic start conversion kit. I really think they are fast though.

MR.BIG
06-01-2005, 10:22 AM
You might want to look into the 400's(z400 or 400ex) because they run extremely well too!

warriorprincess
06-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Are the 400's fast enough to compete on the track from the factory? Maybe a jet kit and pipe would help? It seems like the 400 suspensions are a little bit less forgiving on jumps. I like something that has a low seat height too. Not knowing what I'm doing, I feel a lot safer closer to the ground....lol!

DH400EX
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
i would look into a 400ex, they sit lower than the Z/KFX, and you can build it to compete wit some stock/ piped 450's.

honda250xrider
06-01-2005, 12:27 PM
i would say go for the 450, if you are smart and dont ride over your head i would say you will be alright, The 400's will compete but will have to be modded quite a bit to keep up with a stock 450, of course that is if the riders are of equal skill level. Just take it easy on the 450 for awhile and learn how to ride it to the best of your ability and i say go all for the tracks, I have heard this is one of the best bikes to race coming from the factory, just remember for ama races you will have to have a tether switch and nerf bars to be legal to race.

MR.BIG
06-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Just remember that the 450's have a lot of power. I think the 400 would be a better start because you can always upgrade and you don't want to have something to powerful that you can't ride to its full potential. But it all depends on your riding ability.

honda250xrider
06-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I totally agree, but i have my own opions on this a couple begins with the money, most people do not have the money to buy a 400 and upgrade that and then sell it to then have to buy another fourwheeler and begin to upgrade that again, I know others will say that you should only have a fourwheeler you can ride to its full potential. but if you ride smart and be safe even on a bigger fourwheeler i don't think there will be a problem with that.

Originally posted by MR.BIG
Just remember that the 450's have a lot of power. I think the 400 would be a better start because you can always upgrade and you don't want to have something to powerful that you can't ride to its full potential. But it all depends on your riding ability.

warriorprincess
06-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Thank you all for all of your help and input. It's wonderful to know that there is a site with all skill levels of rider and all types of bikes! I will take any more info that I can get!

:D

Toadz400
06-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by warriorprincess
I like something that has a low seat height too. Not knowing what I'm doing, I feel a lot safer closer to the ground....lol!

If you are looking for something with a lower seat height, go with the YFZ. They feel a lot lower to the ground than the R. The YFZ is a great quad on and off the track and I choose the electric start over the kick because I found it difficult to kick over the 450R I rode. It must've just been the one I rode because I always hear people say how easy it is, but it took way more than just one or two kicks to start up.

Try to see if you'd be able to ride both quads and see which one you like the best.

aci clay
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Why go with a 400 that you'll just have to mod when a yfz is pretty much race ready for beginner and novice bone stock? if you don't need all the power of a yfz just don't twist it so far, but it's there when you are ready.

rap686
06-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Pick up almost any sport atv mag and get on there web site, do a search 450 vs. 450 and YFZ wins almost every time. Stock for stock there hard to beat. If you do go with the R do yourself a favor and have the dealer install the HRC kit befor you even pick it up.

Toadz400
06-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by rap686
Pick up almost any sport atv mag and get on there web site, do a search 450 vs. 450 and YFZ wins almost every time. Stock for stock there hard to beat. If you do go with the R do yourself a favor and have the dealer install the HRC kit befor you even pick it up.

Now that's just stupid, everyone who has ridden both quads knows that it's all the rider that makes the difference between these two great quads. I can't stand people who are biased towards what magazines say and towards a certain company. Both companies put out awesome quads and they both have their ups and downs, it all depends on what you want and what you are comfortable on. I've ridden both quads quite a bit in stock form and the 450R with the HRC kit.

Don't mean to start an argument, but I'm just stating the truth and neither quads should be put down. We're trying to help someone pick out a quad for them and we want her to make the right decision - her decision.

rap686
06-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Just giving my opinon, witch is what the soon to be buyer asked for. by doing the search they will get even more OPINONS as that is all they are. They then can make up there own mind what to spend there hard earned money on.
Take a pill and relax!

warriorprincess
06-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Well, I think I've pretty much made up my mind here. I think the most important aspect as a new rider for me is to just feel comfortable on the bike. I think the seat height on the YFZ is the most attractive thing about it. Plus a lot my friends race them, and I will have a lot of spare parts!!! I hope to get one at the end of July. Thanks for your help everyone, and if someone is looking to sale one about that time, please let me know! I wouldn't mind having one a couple years old just to be able to afford one with a few mods.

rap686
06-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Good to hear you made up your own mind and best wishes at the track. GO GETUM!!!!

bad01300ex
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Deff go with the YFZ, i just got mine and LOVE it, i am a smaller rider and the 450R felt too big for me, and dont get a 400, youll get used to it and sell it in no time, stick with the YFZ.

murrays400ex
06-11-2005, 02:02 PM
stick with a z400 or something like that .its got a much mor mild power band so it will be alittle nicer