PDA

View Full Version : 04 crf450 flywheel in my 450?

bigfoot300ex
05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
i race mx and always looking for ways to get an edge over
the competion
i have a stock flywheel out of a 2004 crf450r available to me and was wondering if it would help me
i know it would rev faster,but would each gear still be capable of the same speeds
what do you think.........will it help me or not?

R3Concepts
05-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Yes its going to help..BIG time..but do it right and get the complete CRF ignition.

bigfoot300ex
06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
how much are they?
and is it basically the entire ingintion set-up that i need?

bigfoot300ex
06-01-2005, 10:11 AM
also does anyone know the weight of the crf flywheel and the stock 450r flywheel?
I have heard 14 ounces for the crf and 26 ounces for the trx but i just wanted to make sure

jc250r31
06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
you pretty much have no choice but to install the whole CRF ignition if you plan on using the flywheel. you also have to buy an adapter plate to make it work in the trx and have your oem trx cover milled to install the adapter plate. I have it done and i like it and havent stalled the quad once since installing it

416exmx
06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm putting the whole CRF ignition on mine right now. It consists of flywheel, stator, wiring harness, CDI, and yes your side cover has to be machined for the plate that hlds the pickup. Also the flywheel has to be machined on the back side, or some casting inside the motor has to be ground down. I also put the stock CRF450 carb on mine. It is a flat slide carb and will help also. To do all of this you are looking at some prety big bucks though.

bigfoot300ex
06-01-2005, 04:03 PM
how much did the stator, wiring harness, and CDI cost 416exmx?
if that stuff isnt outrageous i might do it

benwa450r
06-01-2005, 07:03 PM
The CRF flywheel is a 3" and is 14 oz. The TRX flywheel is a 4" and is 24 oz. I don't think you can install just the CRF flywheel. You need the whole thing.

chad502ex
06-01-2005, 07:14 PM
true

06-01-2005, 07:18 PM
whats the about price $$$$$$$$ for all of this?

R3Concepts
06-01-2005, 09:10 PM
The CRF ignition is 535 from TT with everything that you need to go..they do an exchange on the sidecovers..DO NOT MIX AND MATCH these CRF ignition components..Sparks has one, Baldwin has one and TT has one (the only 3 that Ive seen up close) and they are all different plates and require different machining. Id go with the TT CRF ignition for 535 and the 03 CRF carb for 350 from SH and a NOSS or Baldwin adapter for 65. So for less then a grand, its probably the best 2 mods you can do to a TRX, IMO. Its a whole new monster.

trailtech
06-01-2005, 11:09 PM
FYI:

02-03 CRF 22oz
04-05 CRF 18 oz

04-05 TRX 24oz

These numbers dont tell you much as the rotational inertia of a 24oz TRX flywheel is 2X the rotational inertia of a 18oz CRF flywheel.

A stock CRF flywheel will not fit in your TRX, even if you have the stator, stator plate and machined cover. You need to cut the CRF flywheel. After you cut it, it will need to be re-balanced.

We offer complete, balanced CRF flywheels that fit the TRX in 14, 16 and 22oz (22oz coming soon).

cals400ex
06-02-2005, 11:27 AM
for DRAGGING, will this setup gain time over stock? if so, how many bike lengths?

trailtech
06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
From our testing in the sand:

When drag racing a TRX with a 13:1 piston, Cam and Porting: After about 10 bike lengths it gets about 1/2-1 bike length ahead. After 1/10 mile, it will be 1-2 bike lengths behind. The high compression piston pulls this mod on top. The gains are all on the bottom/out of the hole/snappy throttle response.

cals400ex
06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
so it appears for 1/8 mile times a little heavier flywheel might help, such as the -4 or possibly even the heavier one than stock that you make?

trailtech
06-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Cals400ex,

I am sorry my message wasy crypitc. Let me try to clarify:

For drag racing, out of the hole - the best mod will be the CRF ignition mod with the 14oz flywheel.

This will get you going good out of the hole.

For top end power, a high compression pistion will outperform the CRF ignition mod.

The best option is to combine these two mods and get both the top and bottom end improvements.

cals400ex
06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
so will the light crf flywheel suffer at high rpms without a higher compression piston?

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Suffer no..But they do compliment each other nicely. I also believe that TT failed to mention it was a relatively stock 450R with the CRF ignition vs the other built bike, and the built bike started to pull later. But when you put all these together it shines like no other..We have the TT CRF ignition, CRF carb, 480, 13.5:1, porting, WebCam Mysto, springs, guides, ESR airbox eliminator, Sparks pipe and it keeps getting better and better the more we do. And man its fun to have a bike that revs to the moon and gets there FAST.

trailtech
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
R3Concepts426ex is exactly right on all points - "it was a relatively stock 450R ", only pipe, jets and intake. We were amazed to see a bike with piston, cam and porting get pulled off the line by a bike with no piston, cam or porting.

You can do all the mods you want to the TRX and none of them can replace what you will get on the bottom from the CRF ignition.

The CRF ignition will raise the rev limiter but little/no power added on top.

The mods listed above complement each other very well.

cals400ex
06-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by trailtech
From our testing in the sand:

When drag racing a TRX with a 13:1 piston, Cam and Porting: After about 10 bike lengths it gets about 1/2-1 bike length ahead. After 1/10 mile, it will be 1-2 bike lengths behind. The high compression piston pulls this mod on top. The gains are all on the bottom/out of the hole/snappy throttle response.

oh..... so you are saying the built bike here had the stock ignition and the bike you were racing was stock besides the crf converstion/ignition? if this is the case, how did a bone stock 450r do against each of these throughout the race?

sorry for all of the questions :D

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Both bikes TT had at the dunes..One was a bike with pipe, filter, jets and CRF ignition vs another with 13:1, cam, piston, porting..Theres no stocker in the race.

cals400ex
06-04-2005, 01:16 AM
i am assuming the built bike had a pipe too? how many bike lengths do you think the crf conversion would add on the built bike?

how much difference would their be from the crf conversion vs a -4 flywheel with a dyna ignition?

R3Concepts
06-04-2005, 08:46 PM
If memory serves when we talked to TT about using there CRF ignition to begin with, we had the same question, and they stated that the difference is night and day and wouldnt even bother with the Dyna..You're losing 4oz and then gaining a revbox or losing 10 oz and gaining the CRF cdi, which is I believe set at 11,200. Obvious winner there.

cals400ex
06-05-2005, 12:17 AM
the only reason why i am considering the dyna is because when i added a lightened flywheel on my built 426, it was noticably slower. you really couldn't tell much by driving it but after dragging a buddy several times with and without the aftermarket flywheel, it was slower. the lightened one wouldn't pull high rpms as well and i lost about 1 bike length a gear due to this. i don't want to spend $700 and this be the case again. i don't care how quick it gets off the line or out of the hole, that isn't my riding style. i need a high revving bike that pulls strong in the higher gears as well if not better than the 1st two gears.

trailtech
06-05-2005, 10:36 AM
cals400ex,

Who did your flywheel? Was it balanced? The lighter flywheel should not have made your bike slower.

If you decide you want to try it. You can get the bike running with the CRF ignition in 40 minutes. Take it out for a ride, if you dont like it, send it back for a refund. All you loose is the time it takes to install it and go out riding. I will even make sure your shipping is refunded.

cals400ex
06-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by trailtech
cals400ex,

Who did your flywheel? Was it balanced? The lighter flywheel should not have made your bike slower.

If you decide you want to try it. You can get the bike running with the CRF ignition in 40 minutes. Take it out for a ride, if you dont like it, send it back for a refund. All you loose is the time it takes to install it and go out riding. I will even make sure your shipping is refunded.

my flywheel was lightened by laz at GT Thunder. i am not sure if he balances flywheels or not. i also don't know exactly how much he takes off the flywheel, but i know it isnt' as much as some other builders.

i might take you up on this deal. in a week or two i will be installing the HRC kit and a full pipe. would it be best if i waited until i already have these items installed? i think that is what i prefer to do. thanks for your help! :)

trailtech
06-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, it would be good to do the intake and exaust first.

cals400ex
06-05-2005, 01:08 PM
that sounds good. i will be contacting you in a few weeks then about this conversion. i appreciate your help.

cals400ex
06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
by the way, do i have to send my stator in to get rewound or can you just send me another one? i want to run the stock fan and lights without ANY problems. i don't want to run a switch either, unless that is manditory which i hope not.

trailtech
06-05-2005, 01:25 PM
send me an email (geoff@trailtech.net) and I will show you how we run the fan/lights. We do use a switch but it is very clean.

cals400ex
06-05-2005, 01:49 PM
with the switch, if the lights are on, does that mean the fan is on too? sorry for all the questions. i want to know what i am getting myself into before i do anything. ;)

trailtech
06-05-2005, 01:54 PM
The fan switch is on its own switch. Either switch the lights or wire direct and let them run whenever the bike is running.

R3Concepts
06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
They use the stock CRF stator and then rewind it..You cant use the stock TRX one its too big..We dont run the lights, but wired the load, the fan, straight into the thermostat sensor so it comes on when the thermostat tells it to. I do wish the TT kit came with a few more connectors, so you dont have to hard wire some of the stuff. We had to cut some of the connectors of the battery pack and the 2 yellows for the fan coming off the stator and use others becasue there werent enough to go around.