PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Change Advise Please!

bryan.young1
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
in October going from dual rate works fronts no ress and single works rear w/res to Burguard +2 +1s with Elka triple rate Piggy back fronts and duel rate rear w/res fresh from the QuadShop. What can you Pro's tell me about what this will do to the ride style. i know it will be better handling but any advise you can give would be great. if none then ill just go slow and feel her out, before i air her out. sorry its probably a stupid question but im excited to be getting my new stuff and i wanted to talk about it with someone.
thanks
bryan

bryan.young1
05-31-2005, 06:48 PM
what she looks like now.

indigo
05-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Expect to be able to come into and out of the corners alot harder and fly so much more stable you will feel more in control i have the burgard a-arms but with tcs suspension and i love it

bryan.young1
06-01-2005, 06:39 AM
thats what i was hoping it would do. wow even more stable in the air how is that? maybe because the take off is more controled?

300exOH
06-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm no pro but I have the elka/burgard combo and it is a huge improvement. I find I can throw it into a turn at will now. I'd say my corner speeds are close to double what they were with stock parts. The elkas aren't quite as plush at slow speeds as the works but the extra stiffness is what helps in the turns. I've only hit a couple small jumps but it seems to take the landings muuuuuch smoother.:devil:
Here's mine

bryan.young1
06-01-2005, 12:27 PM
what exactly do you have on your front end (parts) the guy quoted me burguard +2 +1' s plus Elka Trip Rate Pgybk res would fit, someone just told me only dual rate would fit.
thanks

300exOH
06-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I have a shockmount relocater bracket that allows me to run a custom length shock with the 300ex +2+1 a arms. It's basically a long travel setup. If you want stock length I believe the dual rate is all that's available since they are a short shock.

bryan.young1
06-01-2005, 02:39 PM
i dont know if that means with the relocator or not but he defanately said tri rate fronts. ill have to call him and make sure. how is that relocator? does it hold up?

thanks
bryan

300exOH
06-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Yeah. I would give quadshop a call and make sure. Jeff will hook you up. That's where I got mine.

So far the bracket has held. I don't hit big jumps or ride mx I just trail ride so it doesn't really see a huge amount of abuse. Many people on here have them and I haven't heard of anyone breaking one yet.

bryan.young1
06-02-2005, 11:55 AM
talked to jeff and he said that the Long Travel a arms +2 +1 take care of the issue without using a relocator to allow for the 3 rate Elkas with pgy bks. he said with it all on i woul have the same suspension travel as a 400EX. also have you done any cam or piston work to your motor? i wanna make the thing just a bit faster and i heard thats the way to do it. dont know much about motor work, but i dont want to make it louder with an exaust just faster.
thank s
bryan

300exOH
06-02-2005, 12:44 PM
That's cool. I didn't know there were any LT a arms for the 300ex now. Should be a nice setup then. My motor is totally stock except for pipe/jetting and filter. A higher compression piston and a cam will give you notable gains from what I hear. You should also have the head ported and polished. I would talk to quadshop or gt thunder for better info on motor work. Also any exhuast you pick will be louder than stock but if you pick something like the HMF w/ quiet core you'll be okay. Hope this helps ya.

bryan.young1
06-03-2005, 07:46 AM
do you know if i have to up the exaust if i do the cam and piston or is it something i can get away with not doing? i want to not change the stock exaust so i dont get any louder its hard enough to ride without someone hearing and calling the fuzz. i know thats probably a question for jeff, just thought id ask. and yes you did help thanks, now i just need to find a steady place to ride her and im all set. im off today to try and dodge some Staties and EPO's good luck to me. Hope i dont get my bike impounded ARGGGGG i hate this Stupid anti-ATV, Nazi state.....................

thanks again
bryan

300exOH
06-03-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure how much of a gain you would see without doing the exhaust. I'm sure a piston and cam would help but the 300ex is already very limited by the stock pipe. If you are wanting more power without getting louder you may be better off saving your pennies for a stock 400ex or something

bryan.young1
06-03-2005, 12:43 PM
getting a 400 was my original plan i was just going to use this one to ride this summer, but i love this bike!!!!!!!!! look at her!!!!!! i dont think i need much faster just a little off the top to keep her from bogging down in the courners and or in the sand. if i have to get a pipe i guess i will i just wanted to keep the DB down for those not so leagal moments.