PDA

View Full Version : Im kinda scared now, 400 motor

enduro400rider
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
ok to day i just got done pulling the head off of my 400 and im kinda scared that i wont be able to put it all back together right. i did just what the manual said i didn lose anything or break anything. i have at least 3 people who know what there doing motor wise if i get into trouble. but im still nervous about the whole thing, is it going to be hard to put it back together, anyone else get scared doi there first top end rebuild?

bwamos
05-31-2005, 01:04 PM
It always makes you nervous the first time. That's a good thing.. lol.

It isn't bad. Pretty simple stuff.

Just make sure not to torque the bolts back down all the way at once. Do it a little at a time or wou will warp the head.

Make extra sure you get your timing chain back on the right tooth.

Make sure your old gasket material is all cleaned off (try not to scar the surface). Be extra careful not to drop any into the engine. Gaskets and bearings dont get along. ;)

You should be good if you do that.

LI400EX
05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
dude whats the worst that could happen, you have to bring it to the dealer and say "its broke can you fix it for me" then next time you wont let it happen again!

RiderTRX400ex
05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
its not that bad, its a pretty simple motor to tear into. the only thing i hate doing is tightening the rocker cover bolts, so easy to strip, i get carried away lol... thats why you let someone else do it! blame it on them ;)

good luck!

05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
I did my first top end on a xr 80 when I was 12 years old, with no manual. just torque specs. it is easy just make shure you dont let any derbis fall into the crank case. Dont do what I did, mark the timing chain and cam when it is at top dead center. I had to try to figure out what all the markings ment, if you make your own markings it will be a lot easier. I got a complete gasket kit and that helped a lot.

enduro400rider
06-01-2005, 12:28 PM
well after a few nights of not being able to sleep, i finnaly made a choice. i put the top end back on and pulled to motor out of the bike and next week its off to Hetricks racing, me and my dad are going to drive the motor up there and drop it off for a 416 kit. i talked to a guy up there today and they seem pretty cool, and it shouldnt be too expensive some ware around 300 to 400 with out the cam. i just couldnt take it any more, o well i will probably try it again with a YZ250 im gettin for $100, since i hear 2 strokes are eaiser to work on. i figure since i am having a pro build my motor it will all be done right and tuned right for better performance. but i guess there goes my savings

06-01-2005, 06:19 PM
2 smoak is easy, all you have to remember to do is drain the coolant.

RiderTRX400ex
06-01-2005, 08:30 PM
man 2 strokes are nothing to rebuild :devil:

Cody_300ex
06-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I rebuilt my first motor ever when i was eleven, a 300ex motor, still riding it today. A few months ago I p&p and did a 4 angle valve job on my head. I turn 14 the 24th of this month.

06-02-2005, 05:36 AM
I ported and polished a snomobile engine once, I spent a really long time on it too. I made shure everything was perfect, then it turned into summer time and I threw the whole project in a box. lol