PDA

View Full Version : What do you think's wrong?

Blunts
05-31-2005, 12:20 PM
ok so here it is. i had my fourwheeelr parked all winter in the garage. Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter and put in a new battery. It didnt come with the tool for the sparkplug cause bought it used. But it was starting so i just ran it. I rode it for one night. The next morning my buddy was riding it and he wheelied it and it came up and skidded the back bar. he must have stalled it out. So he tried starting it back up and it wouldnt run right.

I found a tool and changed the spark plug. it was completly black. i hop on and start it up. Now it just sputters and backfires a bunch. It wont stay idling either. It will stay on if you keep giving it gas but wont just idle like normal. Anyone know what could be wrong.

Someone suggested it may be the old gas might have moisture in it. But it ran fine the first night.

Needless to say i was pretty pissed and didnt get to ride all weekend..

anyway, any help or advice is appreciated. i dont know jack about fourstrokes. But i'm here to learn.

Striker49
05-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Its a possibility that the jet might have come loose in the carb when he jarred it when he hit the grab bar.

There is also a screw to drain the float bowl on the carb if you want to drain the gas. Just be sure to get a clean container if you do so, just in-case it still has the problem after putting in new gas.

It does really sound like a jet might have got knocked loose, but Im no expert here either, could be completely wrong. =p

JOEX
05-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Gas floats on water so the water (if any) would be at the bottom of the tank. The fuel that is bing pulled into the carb is not coming from the bottom unless the petcock is on reserve.

When your buddy pulled the wheelie some of the water got mixed with the gas and got sucked into the carb.

Drain the tank AND carb then try again.

Blunts
05-31-2005, 12:31 PM
wow thanks for such quick replies, i'm over here stressing about it. I wanted to ride so bad. anyways, the buddy who suggested that moisture might be the problem has my fourwheeler at his house. he said he'll drain the gas tonight and put fresh in. If that doesnt work i'll look at the jets. I'm just totally lost on what it could be. Any suggestions are still welcome.

also would the spark plug have anything to do with it? The first one i took out was scorched and the 2nd one i just put in right out of the box. the tool i used wasnt that great so i had trouble getting it back in.

bwamos
05-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Aye, jsut sounds like your getting too much fuel.

The above suggestions are all good.

Always check the obvious first though. Make sure the choke didnt get turned on by the jolt. ;)

I know a lot of broken in atv's don't need the choke to start, so we forget about it. ;)

1) Check Choke
2) Inspect Main Jet (bolt on bottom of carb will allow you to inspect it). Drain the carb while your at it. ;)
3) Change out the gasoline since it could gum up. (should probably do anyway)
4) Clean the carb.