PDA

View Full Version : Need Help (Transmission Rebuild)

robercw
05-31-2005, 09:02 AM
I had to replace the countershaft on my son's 400ex, and I'm having some problems with reassembly. I can get it to shift from 1st thru 3rd gear (including neutral), but all I get is a dead shift when I try to go to 4th. It's just a "thunk" and won't click into gear. I'm not sure if the dogs on the gears are just not lining up or if I have another problem.

One of my concerns is the shift drum. I'm not sure if the spring loaded part on the gearshift spindle lines up with the shift drum. I can't find a good picture or description in my Clymer manual or in the fiche as to where these parts line up.

Here is an illustration of the parts in question (circled & colored red for clarity):

shift drum (http://home.centurytel.net/centerfield/Images/trx400ex-shiftdrum-shiftfork-99-03.jpg)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dannys440
05-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Check and make sure you put it back together right.

prepracing
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
not sure of the name of the part but if the shifter positoner inside the case is not put on correctly you will not be able to shift thru all the gears, I put mine on wrong and I could only get to third gear. Or you could have a spacer in wrong. If you can get a genuine honda svc manual or pics from one they show everything you need ( personally I think clymers are a joke its like working without anything ). My local shop let me borrow one for a night, maybe try bumming one from your local shop. Just a thought though !