PDA

View Full Version : Weekend marred by accidents at Sand Mountain

Crowdog
05-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Weekend marred by accidents at Sand Mountain

BURKE WASSON
May 31, 2005

While authorities continued to search Monday at Lake Lahontan for two victims of separate alleged drownings, a spate of accidents at Sand Mountain also kept officials busy during Memorial Day weekend.

According to Banner Churchill Community Hospital ambulance services, 13 people were reported injured at Sand Mountain between Friday and Sunday. Ten of those people were Care-flighted to hospitals in Washoe County.

Representatives for Banner Churchill Community Hospital declined to release the names of those injured or their conditions, but did say that the majority of reported injuries were related to dirt bike and all-terrain vehicle accidents.

The hospital's ambulance department had one call Friday to the recreation area. That person was Care-flighted to Washoe County.

On Saturday, the ambulance department received two calls to Sand Mountain. There were a total of four patients between those two calls - one was treated at Banner Churchill Community Hospital and three were flown to Washoe County.

The hospital's ambulance service dispatchers received six calls to Sand Mountain on Sunday. Out of those six calls, six people were transported to Washoe County, one was treated at Banner Churchill Community Hospital and one left the hospital against medical advice.

Dispatchers and representatives from the Bureau of Land Management declined to comment Monday on the reported accidents at Sand Mountain during the holiday weekend.

It was unclear if the crowd was as rowdy as Easter weekend, when BLM rangers were pelted with eggs and one BLM vehicle had a window broken.

An estimated 7,800 people flocked between Saturday and Sunday to the massive sand dune located off U.S. Highway 50 about 30 miles east of Fallon. Previous holiday weekends like Memorial Day and Labor Day have attracted closer to 5,000 people.

BLM officials have explored the idea of raising fees to camp at Sand Mountain and possibly limiting the number of people who camp there next year.

Currently, campers pay $20 to stay up to a week. A $45 annual pass is also available.

BLM officials said the fees collected to camp at Sand Mountain are not nearly enough to provide enough law enforcement, road grading, restrooms, trash service and medical emergency services.

Those medical emergency services were unfortunately used during Labor Day weekend in 2004 at Sand Mountain when a 21-year-old man died in a motorcycle accident.

Burke Wasson can be contacted at bwasson@lahontanvalleynews.com

http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/20050531/News/105310011/-1/NEWS

ballisticpb
05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
it seemed like a never ending trail of that chopper last weekend... seemed like they brought it in alot more times than 10 who knows i quit counting

wilkin250r
05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Since when are medical emergency services part of the BLM responsibility? Do they go above and beyond basic EMT training? Why do I have to pay medical expenses, why aren't the patients responsible for medical costs?

oldsandman
05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Gotta love the tone of the article! "It was unclear if the crowd was as rowdy as Easter weekend when BLM rangers were pelted with eggs...Then the bogus unamed BLM official fees paragraph!:mad:

shellz4sand
06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I was there from Friday until Monday & it seems like the helicopter was there none stop.I guy that camped next to us shatter his leg sending the bones through.One of my friends helped them at 1:30am Monday.I thought for the amount of people is was pretty mellow myself.My 11 son & I drag raced until 11:30pm Sunday night and there was only about 12 of us on the hill.I hope for the best because Sand mountain is my home away from home.

norcalatver
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
I thought there were a ton of people there! I haven't seen that many people at Sand Mountain since before the policing of the area. You used to be able to ride the back sections without hardly seeing anyone, even on Holiday weekends. Last weekend there were tons of people everywhere! It just sucks that they keep taking more and more of our riding areas away from us each year. When are the major manufacturers going to help in the fight to keep our areas open?

JOEX
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by norcalatver
..... When are the major manufacturers going to help in the fight to keep our areas open?
That's a good question. It would help though if there weren't so many morons in this sport:ermm:

shellz4sand
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
The fact of the matter is that people get stupid.Don't get me wrong I am no angel, I drink beer at Sand Mountain too.It is called dune smarts and people who have never rode in the sand don't understand it is hard to see other people when you ride along the bottom instead of the top the the dunes.Be the time my boys have families of there own there will be no more places to ride:( .Well let's all hope for the best & pray Sand Mountain doesn't punish us all for the few people causing the wrecks.