PDA

View Full Version : Por-15?

2001300exguy
05-30-2005, 10:43 PM
anyone ever seen or used this stuff. its supposed to be harder and more durable than powder coat. im thinking about using it on my a arms. http://www.por15.com/default.asp

jeepboyny
05-30-2005, 10:52 PM
I have used it on my Jeep frame. It's extremely durable. I got some on my hands when I did it, and just like they said, it WILL NOT come off, it has to wear off. There's another product out now that's supposed to be even better...It's called Rust Bullet you can take a look at that too and decide which you want to buy. www.rustbullet.com

The only problem I found with POR-15 is that you have to put a top coat over it, or it will start to turn a chalky color...If you use the black anyway, that's what I used and on the frame parts that are exposed to sunlight they are chalky now but holding up fine.

Hope this helps

2001300exguy
05-30-2005, 10:54 PM
what do you have to put over it, like a clear coat or a coat of spray paint

2001300exguy
05-30-2005, 11:51 PM
ive read a buch about both products on their sites and the rust bullet looks like a much better product. tha only disadvantage is the rust bullet doesnt come in colors but you can still paint over it which is ok i guess

TM426
05-31-2005, 06:07 AM
DO NOT try to use it on your frame. I tried and it turned out with a few big runs in it. The paint is not as strong as powdercoat and is more expensive. I wasted alot of money and time trying to go that way. Then I had it all burned off for powdercoat.

TheFontMaster
05-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by TM426
DO NOT try to use it on your frame. I tried and it turned out with a few big runs in it. The paint is not as strong as powdercoat and is more expensive. I wasted alot of money and time trying to go that way. Then I had it all burned off for powdercoat.

If there were runs in it, that is the fault of the painter, not the paint.;) Runs don't affect the quality of the paint, it just doesn't look good. It's wierd that this thread came up now, just the other night I was looking at the rust bullet website. It seemed like a good product for people who's trucks would see alot of off road use.

Quadude32
05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TM426

Did you do it yourself? I had a body shop do mine they blasted it put POR15 on it then Glossy Black Car Paint.Looks awsome and YES it is STRONG, As far as expensive NO it costed me total $100 i looked into PC it was around $350

ReconRider25
06-01-2005, 08:02 PM
ive used por15 on both my trucks. great stuff although the surface must be completely dry and clean or it can peal off after its dried. also youll want to put atleast 2 coats on if you put on thin coats.....and it can go a long way. i weas surprised how little i used. whole frame and underside of a truck bed and i still have half a can(quart i9 think or pint not sure)

Cody_300ex
06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I wouldnt reccomend it on a quad frame, I used it to paint the floor pan on a vw bug and the next weekend I droped a D/A (dual action sander) and it chipped bad. This was after the clear coat too. :ermm:

2001300exguy
06-01-2005, 11:39 PM
do u think the rhino bed liner would work good on a arms or a frame isn that supposed to be chip resistant?

Quadude32
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Ya i ve seen pic. of someone who did the bedliner coating for the frame WOW looked like**** plus he said it was heavy and also it will look dull

JOEX
06-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Is POR-15 sprayable?

POR-15 was a hot topic here a year or two ago and I thought it had to be applied with a brush, can't remember:p

Cody_300ex
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 2001300exguy
do u think the rhino bed liner would work good on a arms or a frame isn that supposed to be chip resistant?

This is similar to it exepct it is in a arisol can. Called Crest Rubberized Coating. Holds up REALLY good.

Cody_300ex
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
The can, it looks like a flat black PC

ky300ex
06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
I used por -15 on my frame and i personally hate the stuff.As someone stated in one of the threads above you should put a topcoat on it or it will fade out from ultraviolet light.I used the por-15 hardnose paint as the top coat and the stuff chips about as easy as spray can paint.The basecoat por-15 is much stronger than regular paint,but you should topcoat it and this is where i ran into problems with it.
For my next rebuild this winter i will definitely be sending my frame and parts to Pappy for powdercoating.

honda400ex2003
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
POR-15 can be sprayed and is really durable. We used it on some parts at our bodyshop. It gets really hard. I couldn't scuff it with a red scuff pad I had to use sand paper. You can buy it in different colors too. Then leave it that color or you can paint over it. It cures with moisture so it gets really hard and stays hard. I think it would work for a frame if you don't brush it on. It would take a few coats though for the spray to get thick. I have used bed liner on my dad's rincon racks and it works good but you ahve to either grind the paint off or sandblast it, then scuff it up(so the liner sticks good) for best results. Just my two cents though. Steve

jeepboyny
06-19-2005, 10:41 PM
If you go by the directions so that everything adheres well POR-15 will always work well. Any of you that are having problems with it probably didn't do something right. I was just cleaning the inside of the Jeep today and the entire inside floor pan of it is painted with it, and it's still on there as good as the day it was sprayed on over 5 years ago, and still shiny black in there since the sun doesn't get to it. And anyone who knows Jeeps knows that the floors in em like to rust, and mine looks like new so it's gotta be good!