PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX-R battery in 400EX

dhines
05-23-2002, 07:24 AM
I just read about this mod in the most recent ATV Sport. It is supposed to help with firing the engine more quickly - a big help for dead-engine starts. Has anyone here actually tried this or does anyone know which specific battery is being used. I tried to find one but there are aparently a number of different GSX-R's with different batteries.

Thanks,

Dennis

ChadEXer
05-23-2002, 08:22 AM
I hope someone knows because I was wondering the same thing! i wish i would have read that before I bought my new battery and had my airbox custom made to hold the stock battery!! Anyway i might be building a new box(I had it built 1 inch longer for the Lectron) because lectron has an adaptor that will move the Lectron back 11/2 inches so it will clear the tank and sit upright and fit the boot better!!
if someone knows anything about this battery, please let us know
Thanks

Evan
05-23-2002, 08:27 AM
I dont know the exact part number but I do know that it can be done. A guy at the race had one. He said it was a GSX-R 1100 battery.

05-23-2002, 08:28 AM
Contanct EXATAK his works for enterstate battery ibelieve he know's. He is also makeing some new battery cables

05-23-2002, 09:12 AM
hey gncc'er ur cables are done! they are bad !! very nice, much better than stock. if u get back to me i ship them today. the gsx battery is part # YTX 12BS. IT IS 25 MILLIMETERS TALLER than stock, may work with some mods to hold down plate. this battery has 60 more cold crank amps than stock and is more readily available than the new high output battery from yuasa part # and is alot cheaper! i will try to install one today and let ya know how it fits etc.

ChadEXer
05-23-2002, 09:21 AM
Will it fit in the stock plastic box that the stock battery is in,,you said its taller right? Could I just make a new bracket to hold it down?? I have a custom box and bolted the stock plastic box in the airbox. the I was using the stock bracket to hold it in the box.

05-23-2002, 09:24 AM
i just tried to install, u have got to make hold longer and will have to cut top out of stock plastic box. not hard job and would be worth it, only thing ya gotta watch is the starter is designed to work with only so much amps . it is possible to hurt starter with too much power but switching to the YTX12BS shouldnt hurt.

05-23-2002, 12:26 PM
yep. slight mod needed to fit in the ytx12bs. trim back some of the plastic on top of box then have to make the hold down longer or make 2 small brackets and drill hole in frame tab. maybe ill do this next week and get pics of it when done

Pro400EXC
05-23-2002, 02:57 PM
SO DOES IT MAKE IT ANY BETTER!!!!:confused: :grr

NJ300ex
05-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Ask the guy in the article. It was rich cecco. He is on this site. His name is 465stroker. Pm him and ask him.

05-23-2002, 05:47 PM
yes a higher c.c.a. battery will spin your starter faster and may help your quad start easier. i dont think you will see much improvement over a "fresh" stock battery on a stock 400 ex.
alot of the batteries we see in this type of application are sulfated from sitting and from self discharge. a battery losses 1 percent a day so it does not take very long for sulfation to weaken the battery. anyway, by using a higher rated battery , in theory you will be able to crank the motor longer but this WILL HURT YOUR STARTER. now this still applys to high compression engines( starter is still stock) but if you need the extra cca's you really dont have a choice but to use the higher capacity battery.
we use higher cca batteries from harley applications in jet skis all the time, and i havent heard of starter failures from them guys.
as gncc'er stated im working on better battery cables now to see if i can make the stock system operate more efficiently with less voltage loss thru the stock cables.this should also keep the starting system from heating the cables in an extended crank scenerio. hope this helps

465Stroker
10-17-2002, 07:03 AM
Actually the part number I used was a Yuasa YT12A-BS from a 2000 Suzuki GSXR-750. The battery has the same exact demensions as the Stocker 150mm x 87mm x 105mm and provides 175 cca or 55cca more the the stock unit. I bought mine from a Batteries Warehouse for $63.00 which is not too bad of a price.
ALL YOU C-DALE OWNER LISTEN UP - I was told that the stock c-dale battery is the same size / model as a 400EX - so here is your answer to some possibly quicker starts!!
RC

Wingnut
10-17-2002, 08:38 AM
I just did the battery swithch on my 400EX. I used the Yusa YTX12-bs. It is taller than stock and did need some modifications to the battery box. IT DOES START FASTER NOW! I have not had a race with it yet, but I will be at the GNCC this weekend and I will see how it does. If you look around you will find that honda uses that battery in some of its 4-wheelers, I stole mine from my Recon!

bmf400ex
10-17-2002, 09:13 AM
i have a 2k1 gsxr750, and the only reason it has more cca is because the electrical system has a whole lot more drain on the battery than a 400ex. really any battery would do as long as you don't exceed the current limit of your voltage regulator or the cdi unit, which i would think the current limit would be fairly high enough to handle 300 cca. and the older gsx-r's didn't use as much power as new gsxr-s so if your going off someone's opinion check the numbers first.

465Stroker
10-17-2002, 09:58 AM
bmf400ex - The idea of using a 2000 - 2002 GSXR750 Battery is because is is the same identical physical size as a 400EX - But has more cca's. This in turn makes it very easy to install without having to modify you battery box. I've done it, and it works. Were are you getting 300 cca's from??
RC

bmf400ex
10-17-2002, 10:54 AM
i am saying, i don't know what the current limit is of our cdi units or voltage regulators. but i would be concerned that u don't hit it or you could damage your electrical system. obviously a gsxr battery has more cca's. i was suggesting that a safe bet would be to stay below 300 cca's so u don't harm the electrical components. i have no proof, but as an Engineer i would just be careful of what components you add to your elecrical system. Those cdi units have semiconductors in there that can be destroyed easily.

if you would like to send me a cdi unit and a voltage regulator i would be happy to test them and i can post the current and voltage limits of these components. which would be helpfull if anyone wants to modify their system for extra lighting or something with additional load.
I will be happy do any kind of testing for someone if anybody is willing to sacrifice their components.

Pappy
10-17-2002, 11:02 AM
as long as its a 12 volt battery it will not harm the cdi unit. the only harm from a higher cca battery will come to the starter from the increased crankin amps. this will eventually lead to the failure of the starter but not for a good long time. the cdale will benefit from this battery also...but YUASA has an even better battery for the cdale. jeff at the quadshop is gettin ready to desighn a new bracket for it. it has close to 430 ccas and should wake that puppy right up:D

bmf400ex
10-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 400ex127
as long as its a 12 volt battery it will not harm the cdi unit.

that i know is not true.
not trying to start argument over this, but i was just saying be careful when applying more current into your system. its probably not anything to be concerned about, just a thought. :cool:

Pappy
10-17-2002, 11:38 AM
no flame....but spend a lil more time in engineering class. i have been selling and installing batteries for over 12 years....a higher cca battery WILL NOT HARM your cdi. the cdi uses 12 volts as its voltage carrier......ccas have not a thing to do with voltage.

bmf400ex
10-17-2002, 12:04 PM
no flame....but spend a lil more time in engineering class. i have been selling and installing batteries for over 12 years....a higher cca battery WILL NOT HARM your cdi. the cdi uses 12 volts as its voltage carrier......ccas have not a thing to do with voltage.

i know 12v will not harm the cdi, and i know cca's have nothing to do with voltage and i'm sure you know about batteries. but a battery with more cca's will put out more current, i am pretty confident that any motorcycle battery out there does not carry enough current to hurt the electrical system. i was mearly suggesting for others that do not understand simply electricity to be "aware" of applying too big a battery on their system, like a car battery or other high current batteries could be dangerous. So when u said "as long as its a 12v battery it will not harm the cdi unit", you were referring to motorcycle batteries? you realize that with a higher current batter there will be more current flowing through the cdi unit.

Pappy
10-17-2002, 12:10 PM
ok i see where you are coming from....but if you could hook a 1000 cca batter to a 400 ex....it still wont hurt anything. ofcourse you would burn up your sator etc trying to keep it charged...lol

12 volts hardley exist anymore in todays vehicles. a standard 12 volt batter operates at 13 volts or higher for the majority of its life span. the manufactures have been slow increasing the voltage of batteries to compete with the necessary requirements of todays high demand vehicles. 42 volt systems are hitting the streets this year in a few models.

just to ease your mind.....think of the voltage regulator...it does a job right? exactly....but....even the voltage regulator will not keep the charging voltage in specs on a street bike at 12000 rpm. the electronics on quads are very basic( cannondale excluded) and have a wide window of operating specifications.

bmf400ex
10-17-2002, 12:16 PM
ok i see where you are coming from....but if you could hook a 1000 cca batter to a 400 ex....it still wont hurt anything. ofcourse you would burn up your sator etc trying to keep it charged...lol

12 volts hardley exist anymore in todays vehicles. a standard 12 volt batter operates at 13 volts or higher for the majority of its life span. the manufactures have been slow increasing the voltage of batteries to compete with the necessary requirements of todays high demand vehicles. 42 volt systems are hitting the streets this year in a few models.

just to ease your mind.....think of the voltage regulator...it does a job right? exactly....but....even the voltage regulator will not keep the charging voltage in specs on a street bike at 12000 rpm. the electronics on quads are very basic( cannondale excluded) and have a wide window of operating specifications.

agreed :cool:

MEL
10-17-2002, 01:47 PM
13.1 to 13.2 volts must of the time. your battery won't put out any more amps than what is being asked of it, if that makes sence.

tinytim
10-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Like in aerospace, less weight or space for equal performance costs more - packaging. If you can get more performance (cca) in the same size package, it is better. However, like octane, it may or may not be needed. With a WB cdi, more cca could come in handy. 1/2°. A stock system, though....it might look nice.