PDA

View Full Version : Chain tightening problem with hybrid

YZ400EX
05-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Ok after trying many times to tighten my chain this is what I have figured out and I dont know why.. well when I have shock fully extended out (swingarm all the way down, quad rear end is in the air) and get the chain to where it needs to be and then drop it down on the ground and put any weight on it the chain gets so tight it wants to break, so I let it down to where it would sit normally and tightened the chain, but when there is more pressure down like if I jumped and landed the chain gets really tight and if I had jumped and the shock extended all the way out like it would if I was in the air the chain is really loose..I dont know how to fix this problem. I cant tell what is making it do this..I dont see anything moving when the rear end is moved up and down..It might be the chain slider?? Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to help me fix this..Any info is appreciated..Thanks

ss440ex
05-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I adjust my chain with my body wieght on the quad,sitting towards the rear.
With 1 inch of up and down movement, lite pull ,mid way between
the two sprockets.
That should get you where you need to be.
Never had any problems.
Don`t worry about the fully extended mode,
that is what the guides and sliders are for.
Sounds like your close to being done with the assembly!
Hope that helps.

YZ400EX
05-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Dang Al, havent heard from you in awhile..I have emailed ya a few times, but never got any responses..I am done with everything..I rode it today for the first time..It was very exciting..Now about the chain..I dont have a slider for the swingarm because its stock..I do have a skid plate on it which definately helps with keeping the chain on, but I do need to get an extended swingarm soon anyways..You should email me because I have a few thing to ask you about anyways..Thanks for all the help you have given me..it is very much appreciated..:D

ss440ex
05-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Your riding a 400ex with yz 400 engine and a stock lenght
swing arm??
How long are the wheely bars?:D

YZ400EX
05-30-2005, 11:27 PM
It isnt that bad..It does definately have a lighter front end though..Thats for sure..

bwamos
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd put it on a stand. Unhook the rear shock so you can move the swinger up and down easily. Find the tightest point. Adjust the chain to that point w/ a little bit slack so it doesn't kill your bearings.

Then I'd install a roller tensioner to keep the slack out so the chain and/or a chain guide so it won't jump off when it's at it's loosest point.

Just a random thought.

YZ400EX
05-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Where would I get one of these roller tensioners at?? Where would it mount?? If its the roller on the frame by the shifter, I already have one and it doesnt help anything..let me know on this..

EX_Junkie
05-31-2005, 03:30 PM
What sprockets are u running. If your running 15 front 38 rear your either gonna have to go down in the front or the back. Mine was the same way. U need to get on aol at a decent time man. Took the quad to the track saturday night and also got it dynoed. half *** exhaust leaking real bad. And extremely rich with a off idle bog. Still managed 87mph and 38.26 hp :D Stock motor

YZ400EX
05-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by EX_Junkie
What sprockets are u running. If your running 15 front 38 rear your either gonna have to go down in the front or the back. Mine was the same way. U need to get on aol at a decent time man. Took the quad to the track saturday night and also got it dynoed. half *** exhaust leaking real bad. And extremely rich with a off idle bog. Still managed 87mph and 38.26 hp :D Stock motor

Yea man I am sorry..I have been working really late lately..I will try and be on tomorrow though so try and be on..we can discuss this issue a little..