View Full Version : Ticks..?

JDiablo
05-30-2005, 02:08 PM
well i am sure many of you have gotten ticks on you,but i forgot which ones where the ones to be careful of?the smaller ones,the size of a poppy side(give or a take a bit) or the ones about the size of a very small bettle?i had two or three of the bigger ones on me after riding yesterday,just to make sure,thanks

armoks
05-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Both can harm you, the smaller ones (deer ticks) can pass on to you Lyme?sp disease and the larger (dog ticks) can pass on rocky mountain spotted fever. Just make sure you get all of the tick out if they lodge into ya head and all. And use alcohol when removing them to make sure the area is sanitize.

Use plenty of a good bug spray that has plenty of Deet in it to prevent them next time you go riding

JDiablo
05-30-2005, 02:28 PM
OoO so i see,well i had one on my sock and the other idk were it was,but i took a nice long shower,and i checked and it doesnt look like i have any bite marks anywere,you have any more info on that rocky mountain disease thing?

armoks
05-30-2005, 02:31 PM
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/MD/rockyfever.html

everything you would ever need to know about it.

JDiablo
05-30-2005, 02:38 PM
thanks,i dont think i was bitten tho,the tick was climbing up my sock,but idk were the other one came from :eek2: :ermm:

Zwanter
05-30-2005, 02:56 PM
yeah you need to watch those ticks. i actually had a friend die from rocky mountain spotted fever when i was like 10.

WKY400EX
05-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I always check myself for ticks after I've been outside. They're terrible where I live. Just last week I pulled 6 of them off of me. None were bit in, but still. I hadn't even been in the weeds or the woods, and still had 6 of them on me.

My dad always told me to pay close attention to your head and around the elastic bands of your clothes (underwear band, sock bands, etc.) Ticks really like these areas.

400exrules
05-30-2005, 03:19 PM
ive had them on my stomach, arm pits, and legs. I had one that got buried into my arm pit real good, the whole head was in, which sucks. If u get one in, hold a lighter up to a small metal object till it gets real hot and touch the tick with it, and it should pull back out, or u could try to get em out with tweezers, but u dont want their heads to get ripped off inside your skin.

armoks
05-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Before I moved here to the southern MD area from Western PA I never seen ticks now they are everywhere I look. I spray my yard and about 20 yards into the woods with trizatine?sp?. It kills everything! I can now let the dog play all around the yard and a little bit in the woods without worrying about them.

You will know when they bite you. The first one I had to remove it felt like a pinch. once they bite you have to pull them out with tweezers.

I-7
05-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Wow I never knew the dog ticks could be that bad. I went shooting yesterday and probably had 7 ticks on my total 6 of them on my clothes and one on my arm. I got them off before they attached to me though. I guess I'll be more careful now though :eek2:

Myrtle150
05-30-2005, 05:55 PM
I got Lymes disease a few years back from a damn deer tick....no fun

TCracin440ex
05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
well a lil trick ive always heard when i was small was drink swigg of vinegar before you go outside and you will never have to worrie about ticks...idk if its true or not

i hate them too....we have dogs and they are always in and out of the house...im going to tell my mom to have them frontlined...because i hate sittin down somehwere and seein them crawling up me...i get the lighter out and burn them...

ive had a billion seed ticks on my legs and my dad just dumped gas on them and killed them...rememeber ticks go to the highest point of your body tho...thats what ive always heard anyways

LTZ400rider
05-30-2005, 10:11 PM
i had a tick on my *** and couldnt get it off. another time i had a tick on me all night and wen i woke up it was like a half inch into my back it was sore for days

Mxjunkie
05-30-2005, 10:16 PM
I just found 2 deer ticks in my afro, I went riding in grass that was over the bars on the beaterbike today :o

SGA
05-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Ive had my share of them growing up in the deep south. Now days I spray my pants legs with bug repellent if im heading for the woods.

JDiablo
05-31-2005, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I just found 2 deer ticks in my afro, I went riding in grass that was over the bars on the beaterbike today :o

lmfao

Rico
05-31-2005, 12:50 PM
I pulled one off my, you know what on sunday....:eek2:

and that is no Lie.....:scary:

JDiablo
05-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I pulled one off my, you know what on sunday....:eek2:

and that is no Lie.....:scary:

o boy...i would quadtruple check that area!

wallaby_kid
06-02-2005, 03:51 PM
i had a few off some sheep when i was younger, my dad got them all out for me though, didnt know u could get diseases off them:eek2:

yellow400ex05
06-02-2005, 05:38 PM
My mom was on the internet and she found out that theres a new lyme disease spreading! My borther told me that the symptoms feel like you have bugs crawling inside you and fiber that looks like dead skin comes out of your body and it keeps on coming out peel after peel.:eek2:

CannondaleRider
06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
It can be hot at times, but im SO glad I live in AZ:macho

JDiablo
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Yellow250ex04
My mom was on the internet and she found out that theres a new lyme disease spreading! My borther told me that the symptoms feel like you have bugs crawling inside you and fiber that looks like dead skin comes out of your body and it keeps on coming out peel after peel.:eek2:

that sounds like fun

Mxjunkie
06-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Yellow250ex04

I'd say I have that but I think its the rocks in my shoulder/back moving around from my crash lol. :p

nutmeg
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM
I too have had problems with ticks. I have heard and read that guineas, a type of chicken, eat ticks and bugs. I have been considering getting a few. I also have read that the males are less noisy verses the females. Hopefully our neighbors wont mind...