PDA

View Full Version : First time changing axle bearings, got a couple questions...

Quick6
05-29-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm having a little trouble getting the axle nut loose. Am I going clockwise or counter-clockwise to loosen this thing? Thanks

pat

RiderTRX400ex
05-29-2005, 03:14 PM
i think they are backwarsd threads... you might need to heat it up to get it off. the most trouble i had was getting the bearings out

i took a 12 inch crowbar and bent and grinded the tip to i could grab the bearings, youll need to move the spacer sleeve up so u can grab one and then u gutta bang the **** outta it

Israeli 300EX
05-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey ,

You didn't said just on what ATV …
Here the way on 300ex. 400ex should be the same

Loosen inner lock nut wile holding the outer lock nut.
(Both nuts are left handed so to loosen it's clockwise)

Move the outer nut counterclockwise till you can see the stopper ring comes out enough to be removed.
After removing stopper ring, open nuts clockwise till it’s off the axle

Remove axle to left.

When removing bearing holder, do not forget to remove the lower bolt at swing arm
(Bolt No 16 at the 1st link).

To remove bearing from bearing holder-
Remove all o rings and dust seals from it.

Then put bearing holder in a very high temp oven for about 2 min.
Wait the oven will be hot before you put it in.

Do not let bearing holder fall down when it hot. It can damage easily.

If you did it right the bearing will fall out with just little help.
Use heavy gloves will doing that and hold item with some cotton rag.

To put a new bearing use the same idea.
Just reheat item and put bearing that came just from freezer after some good hours of staying there and get freezing well.

Hope my poor language enough and clear for you.

Good luck
Boaz

1st link (http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=RjmBNjXz&mv_pc=226&se=pg_d_id%3d571%20and%20pg_my_id%3d107)

2nd link (http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=RjmBNjXz&mv_pc=219&se=pg_d_id%3d564%20and%20pg_my_id%3d107)