PDA

View Full Version : 450r, At The Oregon Dunes

450RgETiRdONE
05-29-2005, 02:25 PM
In getting a new 450R, what is your reccomendation on gearing front and back?

Mostly for bottom end, so I dont need to wind it out at 60+ on the flats. Still would like to get, but still want allot of torq.

Or do you reccomend waiting take it out still stock and see what it can do.

You now how it goes with keep n it stock doesnt last long . But!, I dont want to waste my time, and money if I dont have to.

Also what do you think about the HRC kit waste of money or wut?

To re jet or not to re jet. Air box lid too, take it off, like been done with 400ex? And Air filter buy the k&n with the cover for it?

Thank you! lots of questions but you guys are the pros for the 450r's not me yet;)

450RgETiRdONE
05-29-2005, 03:10 PM
And if you dont live here in oregon or have been to any dunes, any help much appreciated.

450RgETiRdONE
05-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Any one know any thing about this I see that people read my post but dont post any thing

mikes450r
05-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 450RgETiRdONE

Mostly for bottom end, so I dont need to wind it out at 60+ on the flats. Still would like to get, but still want allot of torq.

You now how it goes with keep n it stock doesnt last long . But!, I dont want to waste my time, and money if I dont have to.

To re jet or not to re jet. Air box lid too, take it off, like been done with 400ex? And Air filter buy the k&n with the cover for it?

Thank you! lots of questions but you guys are the pros for the 450r's not me yet;)

if you plan on buying an exhaust then i wouldnt buy the whole hrc kit...but if your not anytime soon then get the kit..

i would save the money on a K&N and get you a uni instead.. they are about half the cost of a K&N

mike

dtzalba450r
05-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 450RgETiRdONE

Thank you! lots of questions but you guys are the pros for the
450r's not me yet;)

I'll give you my experience. I have the hrc kit, full yoshi exhaust, knn, no air box and stock gearing. I've been to the dunes a couple of times and I don't switch gearing. The hrc cam is a mid-top end cam. People say that the cam looses bottom end but it doesn't I didn't notice a loss the only thing noticable was the amount of wheel spin I have now with a tremendouss amount of top end. I think my gearing was perfect, because even without paddles I was smokin' bikes w/ paddles up the hills. just my two experience!

450RgETiRdONE
05-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok hey thanks a lot, any one elso have their two cents let me know. Oh wants a "UNI," a type of air filter?

plkmonster2
05-30-2005, 10:41 PM
UNI is a brand. They make dual element air filters, as well as other things.

450Rcarbonpro
05-30-2005, 11:07 PM
I have a highly modded 450r and I ride the oregon dunes alot. First thing you do is spend 10 buck on a 13 tooth front sprocket. Instantly you get a bike length or 2 out of the hole. Next just buy a slip on unless you plan on getting the head ported. I have used the HRC cam and I like it. I have the big web cam in now and I like it more but both are good. The web cam required stiffer springs and the hrc does not as it is a drop in. also any of the dirt bike cams are really good 03 and 04. Best price for a air filter is from sparks racing it is a foam filter with an aluminum ring adaptor. It is only 50 bucks. You have to change your jetting with pipe and air filter. Also change the ignition as the rev limiter is set to low. White brothers has one for 170 that raises it a 1000rpms. It helped alot. My first motor set up was a white brothers carbon pro full system, FCR carb off 04 crf450, Sparks filter, HRC kit cam ect........., no air box lid. On the hill at florence dunes I smoked every honda and yamaha every time I went there. This motor is dynomite when built right. The 13 tooth front spocket is really need for sand riding when you use paddles. Also I use 10 paddle haulers lightened. Pay the extra cash and you won't regret it. Anyways pm me if you have any questions.

R3Concepts
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Definetly the 13. 10 Paddles are too much for a 450R. It all depends on what you want to do with the bike..If you want a duner and an ok hill bike that will pull 3rd, and maybe a little of 4th at the very top then stay with the 13/38, but if you want to have a hill bike and an ok duner then go with like a 13/40 and start bangin gears outta the hole and dont stop..Watch your buddies faces with a 13/40..:D

Jonas
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Why is anyone talking about changing out the air filter to an aftermarket filter. Have you ever seen a dyno on a quad that increased horsepower just due to the fact that the air filter was changed out?

R3Concepts
06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
You should not post again..My bad that was mean..:rolleyes: More/Better flow= More power.

Jonas
06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
No Proof huh?

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Look son an airfilter increases hp period. I don't have a dyno run for just an air filter. My 450r was dynoed at 53.2 hp by nmotion racing. If it didn't have a highflow airfilter it wouldn't post even 50hp. This is because the jetting changes with an airfilter and exhuast. You get higher air velocity into the engine which in turn produces higher exhaust velocity. To make a long story short with out the airfiler you would loose flow so jetting would be smaller not fatter. Less fuel air mixture into the cylinder and you get alot less hp and throttle response. Just an air filter in a stock bike will pull about 2 length, don't forget you must rejet to get the HP gain. Sorry you are so misinformed son!

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
10 paddles are not too much for a 450r. All you need is slip on airfilter and re jet. I use 10 paddle haulers that have been lightened and I pull every 450, yami or cdale or honda, I have ever crossed. If you go 8 paddles you will be sorry. By the time you get traction I am already 2-4 bike lenghts ahead. 10 paddles do need a 13 front sprocket though. I tired the 14 and it doggs out of the hole. Also in the sand with the honda you have to 1st gear start and shift quick. My yami pulls 10 paddles and a second gear start. I now have 12 paddle paddle brats that have been lightened. They are rare and hard to find. At florence on holiday weekends I smoke every other 450 period. I really haven't lost. LRD was doing testing a couple months back on thier 2300 dollar motor kit for the 450r. With a whitebrother carbon pro pipe, hrc cam, and airfilter, I smoked thier bike by 3 bike lenghts every time. We raced 6 time exactly and I enjoyed every minuite of it. They switched riders 3 times in disbelief. I had the 12 paddle brats on. They had 10 paddle hauler so tires were fairly equal. When I was done with them they went back to camp with thier tales in thier ***! hahahahaha. Even funnier was they were camping 2 spots down form my party. We bs all night about it, they werent happy and got really drunk. Hahahahaha. I destroyed several months of r and d work. My internals were stock except cam. head, valves, springs sock. They had big valve, 3 angle valve job, shimmed, special cam grind, hi comp je and some more crap that did nothing. They also had vortec ignition, mine was stock. Hahahaha...........................so email me directly if you need more set up info. Later.

MNTNMAN
06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I have tried both 10 and 8 paddle haulers, and stuck with the 8. I just felt like there wasn't enough power to turn the 10's.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 03:32 PM
The 10's have to be lightened. Call and order them direct. A lightened hauler works much better in all around riding aswell. Or call Graves Motorsports they have them. The owner can tell you what exactly they do for your bike.

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 450Rcarbonpro
10 paddles are not too much for a 450r. All you need is slip on airfilter and re jet. I use 10 paddle haulers that have been lightened and I pull every 450, yami or cdale or honda, I have ever crossed. If you go 8 paddles you will be sorry. By the time you get traction I am already 2-4 bike lenghts ahead. 10 paddles do need a 13 front sprocket though. I tired the 14 and it doggs out of the hole. Also in the sand with the honda you have to 1st gear start and shift quick. My yami pulls 10 paddles and a second gear start. I now have 12 paddle paddle brats that have been lightened. They are rare and hard to find. At florence on holiday weekends I smoke every other 450 period. I really haven't lost. LRD was doing testing a couple months back on thier 2300 dollar motor kit for the 450r. With a whitebrother carbon pro pipe, hrc cam, and airfilter, I smoked thier bike by 3 bike lenghts every time. We raced 6 time exactly and I enjoyed every minuite of it. They switched riders 3 times in disbelief. I had the 12 paddle brats on. They had 10 paddle hauler so tires were fairly equal. When I was done with them they went back to camp with thier tales in thier ***! hahahahaha. Even funnier was they were camping 2 spots down form my party. We bs all night about it, they werent happy and got really drunk. Hahahahaha. I destroyed several months of r and d work. My internals were stock except cam. head, valves, springs sock. They had big valve, 3 angle valve job, shimmed, special cam grind, hi comp je and some more crap that did nothing. They also had vortec ignition, mine was stock. Hahahaha...........................so email me directly if you need more set up info. Later.

Nah, youre wrong...Go look at how many of the 4 Stroke War bikes or other drag bikes (im talking 450s, and BB 450s) are running 10 paddle, yep NONE. 10 paddle Haulers are too much for a 450R. Run 6, 7, or 8s and I guarantee you will be faster then 10s, 10s may get traction off the line, but wheel spin is somewhat good..By the time you start gettin traction with the 8s the 10s will be doggin it hard. And dont say no no no, cause we've done extensive testing with this kind of stuff especially in the dunes...Hell, our 480 drag bike wont pull 10s that well. And the lightening your talking about is Bead to Bead Buffing, and try it on the 8s, you will be even more happy. But good story none the less:ermm:

twisted threads
06-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Me and my brother have both ran 10 paddle drag light haulers on our 450rs and they worked very good. But Im sure if I got a 22" 8paddle draglight hauler the bike would probley work better. My brother this last weekend had his 10 paddles on his 450r this Memorial weekend at CoosBay and he beat many many bikes and I also rode it a few time and it had NO problem what so ever turning them even in the wet sand.:cool:

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I will say no no no...............because I have ran against many bikes with 8's that had more motor than me and I still beat them on the hill and on the flats. There is something wrong with your 480 then because I have ran 10 paddle drag lites and have never been beaten by any 8 or 10 paddle for that matter. I run with Graves Motorsports and about 20 guys that have all configurations of drag lites and normal hauler. I pull all of them every time. That includes all the yzf450's as well. Hell I took a 460 big bore kit with my stock engine and he had 8 paddle drag lites. I will say I did like 9 paddle draglites alot and but sold them and when to the 10s when I had my motor built. Also poor LRD.......................I wouldn't buy a thing they make..............appearently they know how to slow the motor down.........hahahahaha............Also There were about 200 witnesses that were quite entertained. I've tried 12 paddle drag lites and they are too much. My motor dynoed at 53.2 hp. I now run a set of 12 Paddle BRats that have been lightened. I switched to this tire because it is 1lb lighter than a draglite. Paddles are slightly shorter and spaced offset. They start with 18 paddles and trim every third paddle. This tire does get more spin than a 10 paddle draglite even with 12 paddles. It works like 6 sets of double paddles. I won't buy draglites again, I love the paddle brats. They turn a hell of alot better as well as the wheel profile is flatter and they are not quite as tall.

450RgETiRdONE
06-02-2005, 09:05 PM
So when you go with after market aritfilter no air box lid. What would you re-jet too.. Any one know here in Salem, OR

#1speedbump
06-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I run Florence at least once a month with 9 paddle Extremes and they will be gone ASAP in favor of some 6 or 7 paddles. Bottom line is that they are TO MUCH for a 450r with exhaust, and HRC kit.

Maybe running "The big web" and having your head work done make a difference, I dunno.

I'm guessing your motor was dynoed on a dyno that reads high because so far there arent alot of 450's hitting the 50+ mark without going BB.

I run a 50 pilot, 172 main 2 screws out. Gonna try running a 170.

Also there was an Air filter test done and they UNI made more torque but less HP than a K&N. And both of them beat up on the stocker.

And YES I can provide a link to Dyno runs for the test and also for built motors. But by reading your posts I'm thinkin it would be a waste of time. After all you hold the Holy Grail and were beating up on LRD:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm the first to say............................................... ...........
Your full of POOP!!!

Now go to bed son, its past your bed time:macho

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 450Rcarbonpro
I will say no no no...............because I have ran against many bikes with 8's that had more motor than me and I still beat them on the hill and on the flats. There is something wrong with your 480 then because I have ran 10 paddle drag lites and have never been beaten by any 8 or 10 paddle for that matter. I run with Graves Motorsports and about 20 guys that have all configurations of drag lites and normal hauler. I pull all of them every time. That includes all the yzf450's as well. Hell I took a 460 big bore kit with my stock engine and he had 8 paddle drag lites. I will say I did like 9 paddle draglites alot and but sold them and when to the 10s when I had my motor built. Also poor LRD.......................I wouldn't buy a thing they make..............appearently they know how to slow the motor down.........hahahahaha............Also There were about 200 witnesses that were quite entertained. I've tried 12 paddle drag lites and they are too much. My motor dynoed at 53.2 hp. I now run a set of 12 Paddle BRats that have been lightened. I switched to this tire because it is 1lb lighter than a draglite. Paddles are slightly shorter and spaced offset. They start with 18 paddles and trim every third paddle. This tire does get more spin than a 10 paddle draglite even with 12 paddles. It works like 6 sets of double paddles. I won't buy draglites again, I love the paddle brats. They turn a hell of alot better as well as the wheel profile is flatter and they are not quite as tall.

Padla Brats are what 1/4 inch tall? Hmm I wonder what bike couldnt pull those..Im going to second that your full of it, I doubt that you even ran one of Arlens bikes up the hill or any hill for that matter. NO theres nothing wrong with our 480, thats what we do..Build bikes..Ill just leave it at that cause theres no telling you anything, cause youll one up everyone, since your probably one of those 15 year olds that SMOKES everyone..HAHAHA come to the 4 Stroke Wars, and get WALKED on. By the way, what gearing are you running, assuming 13/38 from youve posted, and what size tires were the 10s and the current tires you have now? Cause I know for a fact that 13/38 wont pull 22x11x8 10 paddle Haulers.

#1speedbump
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Another thing I noticed............The white bro's rev box HELPED???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????//:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

WTF...........EVERY OTHER PERSON TO TEST A PROCOM said .............THEY SUCK!!!!!!!! But somehow it helped you....Damn bro you got it made..Now if I could just be you;)

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
First off Extremes are the heaviest paddle hauler has. Have them lightened and you will love them. The weight reduction is huge and makes a big difference. They aren't cheap though. If you haven't used the draglite version don't comment. I have used them all period. Look #1speedbump I am not kid. I have tons and tons of experence with sand draging. And no the dyno didn't read high. It was done at NMotion racing. They built the beast and it was the most Hp they have ever gotten at 450cc. Everything that can possibly be done has been. Here is what it has: +1 +2 valves, je hi comp piston, big web cam, port polish, fcr carb, Complete 04 crf 450 ignition system and flywheel, 4 angle valve job, shimmed, stiff springs, and some more stuff im forgetting. Anyways it post 53.2 period. Why would you think im full of poop? I have said nothing out landish. And further more any stock dirt tire will smoke any paddle tire on a flat race, not on the hill. I have seen and done this many times. Most people wont believe it until they get smoked. Out of the hole the paddles pull a lead and then like turbo the dirt tires hook up and pass. This is a know fact in drag race competitions. I know at drag wars 04 a sparks preped yfz won the 450 class with dirt tires. Many paddlers went down in shame. Hey what is that web site for the dyno tests I would like to post my dyno run. Let me know. Also Nmotion has dynoed the 520 motor with all the work I had done minus the crf ignition system and posted over 60 hp. They are fuel injecting one right now. his estimations are at least 65 and maybe as much as 68. Now those are big numbers.

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Or you dont have to answer my questions..Which WebCam do you have by the way? By the way, you can still do crank work, rod work, mill the head...but Ill stop there. This is a good thread.

#1speedbump
06-02-2005, 09:58 PM
PRo, the fact of the matter is that NMotion claimed over 60 hp with their 520 kit yet when Dirtwheels did their story on NMotion it didnt touch 60 let alone go over it. Dont get me wrong I am not bashing Nate or his crew, but there estimates didnt show up on dyno day.

Also a few other guys are running the 520's and they have yet too break 55 HP. That is where and why I say your 450 can not and does not break 53 HP. These guys have posted dyno runs with different cams, ignitions and so forth.

Go To TRX450R.ORG to see all the dyno runs. There are several of different set ups. Here is just one link of many:
http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9388

I know the Extremes are heavy that is one of a few reasons for selling them. I bought them because of the deal I got on them, and they are double buffed.

Look I'm not trying to start anything. This is the Net, and I'm not a computer rambo. The son thing was just me being sarcastic.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Why are you guys jumping my case? These are the tire I run and have had great performance. And yes I beat Harlen himself and 2 of his other mechanics. I don't doubt some of the things you are saying but the tires I have used have helped me win almost all my sand dragracing. All the white brothers rev box does is raise the revlimiter 1000 rpms and doesn't change the igintion map at all from stock. How would that suck? How could that not make a difference. Anyways I now have a full crf 450 ignition system and flywheel, it is amazing. Also I run a 13 front sprocket and stock rear. One more time for the thick headed, 10 paddle draglites not regular haulers. what do you mean it can't pull the 10's? Look call graves motorsports the owner has several years of experience with these tires and is a personal friend. He will gladly tell you all about the LRD woopin I dished out.

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Who did the CRF ignition? What flywheel do you have, meaning whats the weight on it? Which WebCam? I doubt you raced Arlan since hes in his 50s lol.

#1speedbump
06-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Here is another dyno, this one is a 480 14:1 ported head, etc.http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8704&st=0

Pro I'm not bashing you. Just dont believe your numbers.

And yes draglites are nice. I run em on my 250R

Maybe the WB isnt a procom but I was under the impression it was. If it is trhen yes it did effect the mapping.

Good choice with the CRF ign. most people I have talked to really like it.

Another thing........I was at DTR a few months ago when LRD called Matt and said they were no longer building motors for the GP. So unless it was one of their personal bikes I doubt it was built by Arlen.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey the sarcasm was taken well. But I am just telling the facts about what I have done and used. Like I said regular dirt tires will win on the flats every time. I've lost to some dirt tires and it hurt but I moved on. Nate is not the man at nmotion. He rides, John and kevin build the engines. These two guys are highly reputable.

#1speedbump
06-02-2005, 10:10 PM
yes I know they have won pikes peak, etc. Built some fast Banshees, etc. I have spent time on the phone with them in the past.

Hey Pro i am looking to be at Florence this month. Any chance you can make it, would love to see your motor run. Then regardless of HP I can say and shoot pics of how it performs.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a couple of engine builders I talk to regularly that work directly with WB. They both said no map change just rpm limiter. Well nmotions dyno did read 53.2. it could be off by a little but not much. They even said it was 1 to 2 hp more than thet usually get. They usually get about 51 out of the same build minus crf 450 ignition. Nmotion did the crf ignition and flywheel. the entire system is off the dirt bike. Im not sure what the crf 450 flywheel weighs but it is much lighter.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes I did race him and another old guy with curly hair and one younger guy in the group. I also partied with them all night and had a great time. Stop trying to discredit my info. it happend period. It was a good thing for them as they know some combination of parts were not working as they planned. that is the point of R and D work.

R3Concepts
06-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I know what the CRF ignition is our 480 has it..its probably a 14oz then

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I told john to do everything, not sure if he worked on the crank or milled the head? I will have to ask him. I am a modification junky so I wanted everything done. Also what kinda of kid has money for an engine like this. Good lord. Im glad your posts show a little respect as I am just a cool atv guy in his mid 20's.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
hey speed I would love to meet you at florence but Im in Missouri right now for work. I will be back in a couple of months when the job is done. I will be driving to ST Anthonys in Idaho on the 4 of July weekend. It is a 20 hr drive from here, but what ever it takes to get out of Missoury. My family was down there last weekend.

450Rcarbonpro
06-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Anymore questions guys? Have we now come to an understanding? Just measured my paddle brats and hauler. Both paddles are a hair under 1 inch nearly the same size. The haulers are more scooped and the brats are straighter. Also I designed the set I have. It was the first pair ever done like this. Send my your email so I can send you a pic of these badboys. You will be suprised as to what they look like.