PDA

View Full Version : OMG...I think I got a prob w/ axle nuts???

Glamis400ex
05-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Hi folks,

I will be getting a LSR +4 here soon. I was outside looking at the rear axle assy, just to see how hard it's gonna be and I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

I only have I axle nut. Not 2. I have the big one but not the skinny one.

Try to follow me here. I have about 1/2 inch gap between large axle nut and brake hub, nothing in between. All I see are threads. I've had the (used)400ex for 1 year and a half and had no probs. Yet, I look in my Helm manual, and it clearly shows I should have 2 nuts(haha, don't laugh) and no gap between.....all tight.

What's up..........help please.

Glamis

NVR2L8
05-22-2002, 11:43 PM
The smaller inner nut jams against the bigger outer nut to lock it in place. Whoever owned your 400EX before though, must have pulled the axle for some reason and didn't put the inner lock nut back on. The threads you see are normal though, as when the outer nut is tightened it threads away from the brake assy and against the stop ring on the axle. Just to be on the safe side, when you replace your axle you should probably replace the inner nut just to make sure the outer nut doesn't come loose...but my advice would be to buy a one-piece lock nut. I just replaced my rear bearings, and during the process I ended up mangling the lock nuts trying to get them off...they were super tight! Anyway, I got my one-piece from www.meszmoto.com ...only $35 and uses a two bolt lock instead of one like many others, as well as a stainless steel inner washer which is less prone to breakage.

Glamis400ex
05-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Hey Nvr2l8,

Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it looks decent for the price. Does it work with the LSR though? Sorry if this has been beat to death, but there's so many threads on this and not really a straight forward answer..........

Thx,

Glamis

NVR2L8
05-23-2002, 08:05 PM
Ummm...since the LSR axle is designed to work with the stock carrier, hubs, etc., I would think Meszaros's axle nut would also work. If I were you, I'd call the number listed on the Meszaros web site, and talk to the owner. I just talked to him the other day...his name is Bob...and he was very helpful with a few rear bearing questions I had. Anyway, definitely go with a different axle nut set up...the stock lock nuts would look gay on an expensive axle like the Lonestar. :D

Quadfather
05-23-2002, 08:19 PM
I have one of the Mezaros lock nuts. I haven't installed it yet. I'm still waiting on my Lonestar axle.

Bob assured me it would fit.

nakomis0
05-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Who you guys waiting to get your axle from , the Quadshop?

Quadfather
05-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Yep. I ordered an axle, and a Houser swingarm on April 29th. Still waiting.

It's starting to look like they aren't gonna be here for my big ride next week.