PDA

View Full Version : can't set piston into cylinder!!!help!!!

400ex87
05-28-2005, 06:39 PM
yo, i got my cyclinder honed, new piston rings, etc... and set it all up to go and get the ring compresser on and go to set it in and it gets caught on the bottom ring!! tyred several times and couldent get it in! also tryed by hand...no luck!! it seemed like the compresser wouldent close the rings all the way shut, and it was extremely hard to even try by hand. Need any advice possible!?!?!

j753301
05-28-2005, 07:25 PM
i had a hell of a time too doing mine,dont know if its the right way but i used some hard plastic on each side so it wouldnt scratch anything and had my brother hold the cylinder and i compresed each ring individually and popped it in the cylinder.took a few tries but it finally went.

MIKE400EX
05-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Make sure the oil ring set is assembled correctly and that the ends of the expander are not over-lapping. Might also be a good idea to take the oil rings off the piston and try them in the bore alone, just in case they're for a larger bore.

400ex87
05-28-2005, 08:44 PM
no i should have mentioned its not on my 400ex i dont have that anymore...its on my laeger 250r! no oil rings....and isn't it bad to try to take the rings off when i allready have them on..could damage them?

MIKE400EX
05-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Won't hurt to take them off if you are careful not to expand or twist them any more than is necessary. If it's a 2 smoke I'd definetly fit them in the bore and check the end gap - they usually go in pretty easy. Goes for a 4 stroke too.

400ex87
05-29-2005, 11:52 AM
yeah..i did that finally got it in engine remounted lubed and lubricated. Now i cant get it to shift into a gear!!! It was in second and i went to click it down to neutral and it like popped! into first. Now it wont move. also i need to change my water pump gasket..no biggie. But i am stumped with the tranny. So pissed and i took it ogg to check it out but dident cgange anything!