PDA

View Full Version : Sand tires? or not?

N400Ex
05-28-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a 04' 400ex and I was thinkin about buyin those kenda gecko tires. They look insane but heres my problem. I dont really live around the dunes or anything... i ride at a few pits around my house and I think it would be nuts there but im worried about riden through trails to get to the sand pits that the fins would break and then goes my money lol. If anyone has any expierence with sand tires and how well they dont hold up in sand lol. Or my other alternative is kenda knarly's lol. Thanks-

04' 400ex
t-4 slip on
K&N filter
holeshots all the way around

PismoGuy400
05-28-2005, 05:37 PM
gecokos arent to great in the sand... i had some and bought some haulers. 100x better IMO.

get some molded tires (as the geckos are) and the paddles wont break.. but you will have an awfully bumpy ride on the hard stuff.

polaris bob
05-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Any paddle tire designed to run on sand will have a very short life on hard pack.

There are some brands out there that have a row or two of knobbys running down the center of the tire that allow limited running on hard pack. How well they do I have no clue as I have never tried them.

There are a few "sand/ snow" tires out there you might want to look into.

The realtor is one of them and another one is called 4-snow and there is one called the pro wedge I or II.

shellz4sand
06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Gecko's suck imo. My 9 year old rides a 400 ex and it takes away from the power.I have haulers on my Banshee and they are the best.My other son runs sand sharks on his blaster & they work good for the $$.

Rico400
06-01-2005, 10:05 PM
if you are going to only riding in the sand a lil bit, the gecko's should be fine. and if your going to be riding on pavement i would just go slow and not hit the gas hard.

wilkin250r
06-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by shellz4sand
Gecko's suck imo. My 9 year old rides a 400 ex and it takes away from the power.I have haulers on my Banshee and they are the best.My other son runs sand sharks on his blaster & they work good for the $$.

Do they still suck, even after we fixed the air pressure? They seemed to do fine when me and the other guy (can't remember his name) were running through Superbowl, and then again up Comp Hill.

shellz4sand
06-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Do they still suck, even after we fixed the air pressure? They seemed to do fine when me and the other guy (can't remember his name) were running through Superbowl, and then again up Comp Hill.

They did fine after you let most of the air out, but they aren't haulers.Didn't you like my haulers on my Banshee when you rode it?The haulers are light, and I like that better!Of course it did good with you guys on it,you are better riders than me!!lol:blah:

spud400ex
06-02-2005, 10:29 AM
have you looked into the gbc paddle masters, they are aupposed to be good for all kinds of riding, mud snow and sand. the gecko is made for smaller quads like the blaster and 300ex.