PDA

View Full Version : Building a Hybrid..I need some help!

nwi45
05-28-2005, 03:51 PM
My current race bike is a stock-framed '89 R with all the chassis/suspension componenets on it that I want on my hyrbid (LT Arms, ZPS LT Elka's, Axle, etc.) My question is, how much money would I be looking at to build a hybrid? What else would I need from here?

Engine? Carb? Frame? Pipe? Whats this gonna cost? Thanks guys, any input would be greatly apprecatied.

If it helps, I'm a 16 year old B rider. Most likely, next year this bike will be racing in the A class. I can't half-*** anything, but I don't have a lot of money either.

250-R-250
05-28-2005, 04:52 PM
You left out some much needed information. For examble are you wanting to build a hybrid out of your stock frame or aftermarket frame? Something else we need to know is what kind of hybrid. are you wanting to put a 4 stroke 450 motor in the frame? The is the most common hybrid. Will you be doing this? or will you pay for labor?

Here are some things to think about....this is if you have everything else...

Used aftermarket frame=800-1200 Depending on condition could be higher or lower but since you dont wanna half *** you would be looking at more than a grand...IF you use the stock from you will have to cut it and mod it to accept a different engine..but that would greatly cut cost.

Engine=CRF=$1450= you can expect to pay this much, more or less depending on condition once again.

I am guessing that pipes will run between 400 for the complete setup.
It will be pricey

Doing a hybrid will be pricey!
I suggest that you Definaitly wait until you have the knowlegde and money to complete the project. It would suck to be stuck with a cut up frame and motor that you cant use.
GOOD LUCK

Kane

baker250r
05-28-2005, 07:45 PM
hate to tell ya... but ur goona be paying closer to 2500, or 3 for a decent crf450 motor. and thats usually without carb and pipe. If you have a stock frame... dotn mess around with puttin a 4 stroke in it. keep the 250r in there. if u want a 4 stroke... why not get a 450r? alot of ur 250r parts will be interchangeable on ur new 450r.

nwi45
05-28-2005, 09:17 PM
250-R-250, my bad about the info, I was goin on about an hour of sleep haha. Yes, a 4-Stroke Hyrbid in an aftermarket frame and I will be doing it.

Are there other thumpers that would be cheaper than a CRF? Maybe a 426? Or an older YZ450? Thanks again.

250-R-250
05-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Look your best bet is probably the CRF.....but if you wanna you could always put a YFZ or TRX engine in it.I am reallly not familiar with all the engines out there. I said CRF because that is the one in most the High end hybrids and I have heard good things about it....I do not know about a YZ.....

Here is where I found my prices for the CRF

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4551946755&category=43982

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4552736419&category=35595

deathman53
05-29-2005, 08:28 PM
$1400 for a crf motor?????? I would have thought it would sell for 2 times that atleast.

wilkin250r
05-31-2005, 12:09 PM
Naw, you're not going to need to pay $3000 for just a motor. I don't even think brand-new crate motors sell for that much. It's certainly not going to be $500 like a 250X motor, because the CRF is much higher demand, but it's not going to be half the cost of a brand new bike. Heck, you can get a complete used CRF for $3g, obviously just the motor is going to be less.

racerx573
06-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Find a nice used aftermarket frame & stick a 426 engine in it...

My conversion + all my powdercoating & the wet sump kit was just under a grand..

I paid 1700 for my engine.. it is an '02.. Sparks head work.. YZ450 decomp cams.. pipe, carb, electrics..Hinson basket..

I bought my Laeger's frame 3 years ago for 2500.. you could get a decent stock link frame for around 9-1500...

I know a guy with an Arens for like 800 if you are intested..

Worked for me..

QuadRacer041
06-05-2005, 05:17 AM
i just built a pretty much brand new walsh crf450 over the winter.let me just say its the best bike i have ever owned or ridin period(my opinion of couse).
ok heres the list of about what it cost me.

Brand new walsh frame, flip top sub, swinger, and and a bunch of related parts from walsh. like coolant bottle, 450 link knuckle, air box adapter, etc.......$5,000 from walsh
i alreay had a walsh stem, radiator and set of a arms from my old walsh R that i parted out.
Brand new 05 crf450 engine, carb, electronics, plus a bunch of other related crf parts like, hot start setup, shifter lever, linkage, etc........$4,300 from dirt first performance
Brand new full tc exhaust from tc.........$500
Brand new axis full adjustable shocks......$2,250
the other parts such as wheels and tires, bars, nerfs, bumpers, etc... i used from my old quad.

so i put about $12-13k in new parts into this project.
i would personally recommend a brand new motor, carb and electronics.notors take ALOT of abuse and you never really know what kind of maintenance was done on it.i would much rather spend annd extra $1-1,500 and make sure my motor is new.
if you go to servicehonda.com and price out all the crf parts youll need you will be looking at $5k, call andy at dirtfirts for a great deal plus he knows every part youll need.
theres no way your gonna pay only $3k for this stuff new.

heres a pick just after i put it together.

fast rusty
06-06-2005, 02:14 PM
i know a few people that have built hybreds and for a motor just buy a 450 dirt bike used and take what you need and then sell the rest on the ebay cheapest way.