PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke

winky
05-28-2005, 11:47 AM
I know somebody that is sellin a 2-stroke for a great price but i was wondering for a begginer rider what is better 2-stroke or 4-stroke and are there any downsides to a 2-stroke?

2004exrider
05-29-2005, 10:44 AM
a lot less maintenance on a 4 stroke most of the time.

MR.BIG
05-31-2005, 12:50 PM
The 4 stroke is definately less maintanance but it depends on what quad you are talking about. Two strokes are a blast to ride!

corey
05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
I have a 4-stroke quad but i would have to say that 2-strokes are alot more fun.

future 450?
05-31-2005, 02:53 PM
yamaha blaster jus take off the oil injection

TravEX
06-02-2005, 08:03 PM
as you can tell by my sig, i prefer thumpers,,,smooth power and less maintence, but the thrill of 2 strokes is great, when i ride with my buddies, i have to have some roost time on their Shee,,,

ridin4life05
06-04-2005, 10:04 AM
4- strokes!!!

hardrider6976
06-23-2005, 11:30 AM
which 2 stroke is it. which 4 stroke is it. i used to own a z400. in the year that i owned it i never had to tear into my motor but everything else was fair game as far as maintenance goes. i now own a 04 gas gas 300 which is a 2 stroke. will have owned it a year come september. i have yet needed to tear into the motor either. but again everything else is fair game. i know that when i do deside to do a top end that my parts expense will be drastically less than for the z400 that i had mainly because 2 strokes have less top-end internals than 4 strokes. and also you don't have to be a master mechanic to work on a 2 stroke. they are all basically the same motorwise. no valves to keep true, no camchains to worry bout stretching. i can take my time with my 2 stroke top end and completely rebuild it in less then 2 hours. when i had the z it took me an hour just to rejet it. the gas gas has been the easiest quad i have ever worked on. and parts prices are very comparible with all others.

think about your decision, make your decision, and get a quad. you'll be happy with either.

MR.BIG
06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hardrider6976
which 2 stroke is it. which 4 stroke is it. i used to own a z400. in the year that i owned it i never had to tear into my motor but everything else was fair game as far as maintenance goes. i now own a 04 gas gas 300 which is a 2 stroke. will have owned it a year come september. i have yet needed to tear into the motor either. but again everything else is fair game. i know that when i do deside to do a top end that my parts expense will be drastically less than for the z400 that i had mainly because 2 strokes have less top-end internals than 4 strokes. and also you don't have to be a master mechanic to work on a 2 stroke. they are all basically the same motorwise. no valves to keep true, no camchains to worry bout stretching. i can take my time with my 2 stroke top end and completely rebuild it in less then 2 hours. when i had the z it took me an hour just to rejet it. the gas gas has been the easiest quad i have ever worked on. and parts prices are very comparible with all others.

think about your decision, make your decision, and get a quad. you'll be happy with either.

How does your gas gas compare to the 450's?

2004exrider
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
i still wanna see one, what do they look like, who is the main company that makes them. Post a pic!!!!!!!!!

hardrider6976
06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
this is a picture of my buddy Flash at the 6 hour in missouri going over an off-camber jump.

hardrider6976
06-24-2005, 09:31 AM
this is my other buddy John on same quad but other side.

hardrider6976
06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
This is me at same race with a front view.
Gas Gas is the name brand of the machine. They originate from Spain. The company started with trials compitition motorcycles and have been long standing world champions in that market. in 97 they started producing off-road race bikes and have done very well in that market also. in 02 they came out with their 300cc 2 stroke quad. the one in the picture is an 04'. The biggest compliment with this quad is the powerplant. although it is a 2 stroke, the power delivery is very linier with a bottom end power that is expected from 4 strokes only. They use the concept that less wheel spin equals more power to the ground. these 2 strokes produce 50 hp's at around 8500 rpms. but rev out close to 13000 rpms. you don't have to ride it like a banshee. i lug mine all the time and haven't fouled a plug in close to 4 months. if i did foul a plug its a 1 minute plug change. if i weren't riding this quad then i would probably be on a 4 stroke cause no other 2 stroke compares without dropping 10 grand into it.

hardrider6976
06-24-2005, 09:53 AM
oh yeah, comparison from gas gas and 450r's. well, i don't normally have any problems pulling the holeshot against any other 4 strokes. hill climbs are no problem, i just lug right up them with no thought of flipping over.

MR.BIG
06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Have you had any problems with it so far?

hardrider6976
06-24-2005, 11:56 AM
the only thing that i had to change when i got it is the a-arms. they come too wide from spain. approximate stock width is 52" front and 48.5" rear. 4+1 wheel makes it ama legal for motorcross. but for cross country just replace a-arms. the shocks(ohlins) are designed for harsh motorcross so again for cross country revalve them for a smoother ride. making the rear end narrower is easy. it has 2 axle spacers on each side. 1-1" 1-0.5". so rear end can be adjusted from 45.5" to 48.5". it comes stock with alum s-arm skid plate, alum full body skid plate, nerf bars, tether kill switch, and a twist throttle(my personal favorite). it also comes with an odometer and speedometer. it has a locking gas cap and locking seat. seat can be bypassed by pulling the line going to the seat. downfall with locking gas cap is i got into a hurry at last race when i was going to fill up and i broke key off in lock. did that last saturday. i just recieved today a screw cap style gas cap to prevent that from happening again. that is the only failure i have had.

2004exrider
06-24-2005, 08:12 PM
wow, thats a pretty sharp lookin quad. 50hp thats gotta feel great for a 300cc engine, that sounds like its a pretty cool bike man, interested to see how it holds up til a needed rebuild sounds more reliable than most two strokes.

hardrider6976
06-27-2005, 03:54 PM
my other ride is a 2000 model gas gas xc250. 2stroke dirtbike. i bought this bike used in 2004. the original owner was a AA rider in the BJEC. he raced it a year then sold it to a friend who raced it for 2 years. niether of them did any regular maintenance of any kind. the bike still had the original piston. 4 years on any race style piston is great. the bike still ran when i bought it. i replaced all bearings, bushings, and seals everywhere except motor. new tires, chains and sprockets, new plastics and graphics. when i tore into the motor everything actually looked pretty descent. replaced piston and cleaned power valve. motor is extremely strong still with about 500 miles on it. haven't even thought about replacing rings yet.

the motors between the quad and bikes are identical so parts are no problem. i've owned some type of gas gas since 1998. i have never felt more comfortable on a bike or quad as i have with one of these machines. if you ever get a chance to jump on one of these be prepared to hold on and smile.:D