PDA

View Full Version : Going 440

400exhauck
05-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I've been doing some looking around and decided to go with the 440 big bore kit. I am getting the wiseco kit with the 11:1 Piston, the sleeve, gaskets, etc. I am also buying a Magnum rev box to raise my rpm's and a hotcams stage 1 cam.... With all of this, is there anything else i should consider to make this run as good as it can? the bike is two weeks old, so i want to make it a flawless upgrade... any tips or ideas would be appreciated...

DeerNuts
05-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Well you dont want to run a 440 with stock exhaust and stock suspension.

Really, I wouldnt even recommend doing any engine work at all unless you upgrade your suspension.

A properly built 440 will rip, but how are you going to handle all that power with a stock bike? Of course, you can, but you will not benefit from the faster motor without a faster bike;)

IMO, I wouldnt do the 440. Do the 406 or 416. It revs faster. I dont know what kind of riding you do though, so I am assuming youve looked at those options already.

Just make sure to think suspension and width, and the power will be transferred smoothly.
PS> you need to add a good full exhaust system also.

EDIT: forgot some. You will want to have your rockers hardened, port and polish, get beefier head studs, and make sure to add a stronger rod! You dont want the stock one to blow through the bottom of your motor!

jokerman_28
05-28-2005, 11:25 AM
you won't be disappointed with your 440. sure it will rev a little slower, but for the torque thats gained i'll think you'll live with it.

2004exrider
05-28-2005, 07:47 PM
first off let me suggest dont use the stage 1 it will be choking for more air, get the new stage 3 aka old stage 2. deffinitely get a full exhaust not a slip on.

QuadJunkies
05-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
EDIT: forgot some. You will want to have your rockers hardened thats actually debateable.. Some prefer to stick with the STOCK rockers and have had less issues.We chose t o go w/ stock ( some one once told me that they are a hard faced rocker already) I have been running a stock Rod since I done my 426 and my 440 and have had no issues what so ever :)

prepracing
05-30-2005, 06:09 PM
DON'T FORGET TO DO SOME HEADWORK !!! to go along with whatever you decide to build !

RiderTRX400ex
05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
dont run hardfaced rockers on a hotcam, they arent made for them.
webcams or other cams are hardwelded or wutever and need hardfaced rockers so the cam doesnt chew the rockers up,

same with a hotcam, if u have hardfaced rockers and a hotcams, the rockers will chew up the cam

spazzy973
05-30-2005, 08:28 PM
be sure you can keep that thing cool the get really hot and the head studs are a must

but really think about the 416 it rips also