PDA

View Full Version : lonestar axle quality

6858-400ex
05-27-2005, 07:21 PM
i have heard that the nut that holds the hub on comes loose is this true other than that are they a good axle

TheFontMaster
05-27-2005, 08:05 PM
If you get an aftermarket lock nut you shouldn't have problems with it comming loose. And for the quality of LSR axels, they are one of the best axels money can buy.

6858-400ex
05-27-2005, 08:29 PM
do aftermarket nuts have the same threads as lonestar

TheFontMaster
05-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
do aftermarket nuts have the same threads as lonestar

Are you talking about the splines in the axel and the locknut? As long as the axel and lock nut has the same number of splines then they will fit. Just make shure both the axel, and lock nut are for the 400ex and you shouldn't have a problem.

xX-400racer-Xx
05-27-2005, 08:51 PM
yes any locknut will fit any axel as long as it is 400ex. all the aftermarket axles have this problem though. i have had no problems with my durablue though.

6858-400ex
05-27-2005, 10:35 PM
i thought it might have been a prob with the cotter pin and nut staying tight

JOEX
05-27-2005, 10:43 PM
The hubs may be worn.

I have a LSR and one hub nut will move just enough to make the pin difficult to remove. The other side is just fine. Before I got the axle, one hub nut on the stock axle would keep coming loose until I learned how to keep it tight properly. I think in the mean time the hub became worn:ermm:

xX-400racer-Xx
05-28-2005, 02:09 PM
im pretty sure this happenes on all axles. now i can't speak for lonestar but durablue locknuts and hubs have to be tightened frequently unless you get an aftermarket locknut or put the cotter pins back in the hubs.

Chino
05-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by xX-400racer-Xx
im pretty sure this happenes on all axles. now i can't speak for lonestar but durablue locknuts and hubs have to be tightened frequently unless you get an aftermarket locknut or put the cotter pins back in the hubs.

you should always put your cotter pins back in, as for the axle, i have a RPM Dominator and LSR Antifade loc nut, no complaints here :macho

Striker49
05-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Ive had my anti-fade nut backoff a few times, but I was having carrier problems at the time. I havent seemed to have had a problem with anything since ive replaced my carrier and re-smoothed my axle (dont ask).
I love my LSR stuff, it takes a beating and keeps going. :)

sampleez
05-31-2005, 10:22 PM
i have had a lsr on a 300ex and now my yfz and they are pretty bad*****. i did bend the one on the yfz, but it was from overjumping an 80 foot double.... but no probs since.

Rico
06-01-2005, 06:21 AM
My sprocket hub is very loose on mine and they won't warranty it...:grr:

POS if you ask me. Why make an aluminum sprocket hub and match it up with splines on a steel axle???? *** did they think would happen in the long run???:rolleyes:

k2-dawg
06-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Chino
you should always put your cotter pins back in, as for the axle, i have a RPM Dominator and LSR Antifade loc nut, no complaints here :macho

Striker49
06-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by sampleez
i have had a lsr on a 300ex and now my yfz and they are pretty bad*****. i did bend the one on the yfz, but it was from overjumping an 80 foot double.... but no probs since.

Samples?! But yer supposed... wtf... :huh

Ok, now im confused to ****ing hell. :huh

Admin
06-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
My sprocket hub is very loose on mine and they won't warranty it...:grr:

POS if you ask me. Why make an aluminum sprocket hub and match it up with splines on a steel axle???? *** did they think would happen in the long run???:rolleyes:

I guess your carrier manufacturer should warranty the bearings when they wear out as well :confused:

Just to let you know, aluminum components are used to save weight for racing applications, and ofcourse it will wear out quicker than steel, but this also doesn’t stop people from buying aluminum rear sprockets to replace there steel sprockets that they use with a steel chain.

I do agree that if the hub wears out in a short period of time that Lonestar should look into replacing the hub or offering one at a discounted price to the customer, but we as a consumer must realize that parts used for racing will not last forever or even several years no matter what material is used to produce the item.

I personally had a hub wear out as well after a year of racing almost every weekend a couple years ago, and ofcourse I wasn’t happy about it either, but I received great use out of the axle and realized that I had went through several skidplates, bumper, wheels, and nerfs before the axle hub even became lose from all the abuse.

The moral of the story is that no one likes to have to replace a part that wasn’t cheap to purchase the 1st time, but if you plan on using anything, it will eventually need to be replaced.

For some, it makes them feel better to bash the manufacturer on the Internet:rolleyes:

Rico
06-03-2005, 09:25 AM
It's a design flaw. Bearings I can see wearing out that's how they were designed..

If it wasn't a design flaw then why is LS NOT making sprocket hubs the way they did in the past?? They are now making metal inserts so that this problem doesn't happen anymore.

Hmmmmmmmmm..... Seems they found a design flaw.

And yes I feel almighty and powerful when bashing companies for something I paid lots of money for only to fail because of their design....:macho

Apples ----> Oranges not the same thing....;)

TC426EX
06-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Well, while I am reluctant to spend any money to fix this problem, my LSR sprocket hub is developing some SLIGHT play in it back and forth. If all I have to replace is the hub, thats not exactly cool, but its better than replacing the axle. I wasnt sure if it was the axle splines or hub splines stripping out. I wouldnt want to buy another complete axle. Ill have to check how much those hubs are though, my guess is over 100 bones, which DOES suck... I have had the axle since '01 and have beat on it with a built engine, so I guess I cant complain too much....

Pappy
06-03-2005, 04:51 PM
LSR...good stuff. any axle that takes 3 or 4 years of abuse can be considered quality. if you were one of the buyers of thier products back before they made the upgrade then you may find the hub loosening after time. if you buy a new axle it has been fixed.

if you havent replaced an axle since 2000 id say your either a great rider or dont ride hard enough:D

deathman53
06-06-2005, 07:08 PM
I bought a used lsr axle in 03, had it on my trx250r for a year, then it got put on my atc250r, and then got put on my crf450r quad, and I snapped it around feburaury of this year, the axle was a few years old when I bought it. It was the best $175 I ever spent.

Rico
06-08-2005, 06:58 AM
You never hear of this on stock axles.....:cool:

Could it be because Honda, Yamaha, suzuki, etc, etc, don't use Aluminum hubs...........:confused:

LS warranties a bent axle which is out of their control, but the hub issue is within their control and they say sorry....:ermm:

Harlen mentioned bearings, I'm running the same Burgard Carrier I installed 3 years ago and it works as good as it did on day one because I grease it often and it was built properly. Using plastic bearings would be the inproper way, kinda like the aluminum hub on the metal splines. Overall The axle and bearings where installed about the same time an the bearings outlasted the hub on the axle. Shouldn't it be the other way around???

My beef is that it should be a warrantied problem and is not, I also know of others that have had their axles fixed with this problem under warranty but I can't. So it's a who you know or who you talk to type of warranty issue, should be even across the board.. IF LS would have took care of me, I'd have no beef and if they still did take care of me I'd appologise to them in this thread....:macho

JOEX
06-08-2005, 08:05 AM
If LS does step up and fix this problem under warrenty i'm next in line:ermm: