PDA

View Full Version : electric start

madini
05-27-2005, 06:53 PM
I guess everyone has seen the article in Dirtwheels on 450R electric starter kits.Has me thinking.I called the company and asked a few questions; weighs 16-20lbs.,charges battery off what powers the lights and the battery box goes behind air box by the tail light. The kick start remains intact. Since I can't bump start my R cause of the Rekluse clutch, this might come in handy for that one time I just can't kick her anymore. I don't need an electric starter but I don't NEED a lot of the stuff I have grown to love.

chad502ex
05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
ya know, that electric start option scares me a bit. It just so happens that i have the flywheel side cover off and i looked around to see where that electric start option might engage the crank and too be honest the only possible way i can see is them rolling the flywheel. i don't know for sure, but i'd be interested in how they are starting on that side of the engine....

:confused:

any input?

MR.BIG
05-27-2005, 08:43 PM
No need my leg works just fine!

honduh440
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
have u ever owned a electric start race quad?

the 450r is bad *** great things by how easy it is to ride how light it is how fast it is stock but the biggest thing to me is that i dont have to mess with a daym battery ahhhhh that was hell

madini
05-28-2005, 02:05 AM
To the question did I ever own an electric start race quad.Yes,a Cannondale,and Till I got it dialed in that S.O.B. had me wishin I'd never seen a Cannondale. When the 450R came along I was ready for it. As I said I'm just thinking about how it would be to have electric ,since I have the auto clutch,I can't pull mine or roll down a hill to start it if it takes a fit or I screw up the starting ritual . I am aware this isn't a perfect world but sometimes you can't help trying to make life easier. And that's where we find ourselves with too many "tricks" to keep maintained. I have also owned a 300EX a 400EX and a 250R and have dealt with getting them all started.I still prefer Honda over anything out there right now.So, this isn't my first quad and god willing ,I'll have many more to enjoy.

Ridin' Jesse
05-28-2005, 08:41 AM
If you cant use the kickstart, get a diff quad..

Jersey450R
05-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse

:devil: :macho

dtmichau
05-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Never had problems kicking mine and since its a honda i probably never will. Im gonna stick with the kick start, E-start is a 500$ luxury that can wait till im old.

Punk'd
05-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse

I think im going to print that out and put it on my wall

honduh440
05-28-2005, 10:24 PM
it really isnt even difficult at all .................. ive still got a stock motor with a pipe and i can sit down and just put my weight into it and it starts up

madini
05-29-2005, 06:06 AM
I really wasn't *****in about the kick start, if I didn't want a Honda I'd have bought any damn kind of quad I wanted.And before I went to the trouble to install the electric I thought I'd see what some of you guys thought about it.So far pretty negative....Buy the way, mine starts easily, usually on the first kick.I guess I'm just not hard core,I even have soft seat.Thanks for your input guys.....

happyboy
05-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Weird how everyone defends the kickstart and says how great it is, my guess is because its a honda. Every race I go to you will see 450Rs that stall out and the guy has to come to a stop to get it kicked again. They sit there for a couple seconds before they get it going again. That is precious time lost in a race.

Just an observation.

Oh, and don't throw out how the honda is so light becuase of the lack of a starter. Doesn't the YFZ weigh almost 20 lbs less and it has a starter?

450ar
05-29-2005, 09:09 AM
doesnt the swing arms, subframes, and frames crack. They could have added that 20 pounds and not have those problems. And then if you want to loose that 20 pounds, Take a big duice before you ride.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by honduh440
it really isnt even difficult at all .................. ive still got a stock motor with a pipe and i can sit down and just put my weight into it and it starts up

Some of us don't have a lot of weight to put into it.. I missed out on a 1st to 3rd place (I am being vague on the position because anything can happen). I agree the 450r is pretty easy to start I got the holeshot out of 3 electric start quads, but my only problem is when you wreck and forget about the killswitch and you kick and kick and then it dawn's on you that the killswitch isn't hooked up, buy that time it is fludded and at that point I know that I am done and it won't start again, it needs a good strong kick HA HA that isn't going to happen so at that point I am cussing the bike and wish it had the push button. :)

duke416ex
05-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Some of us don't have a lot of weight to put into it.. I missed out on a 1st to 3rd place (I am being vague on the position because anything can happen). I agree the 450r is pretty easy to start I got the holeshot out of 3 electric start quads, but my only problem is when you wreck and forget about the killswitch and you kick and kick and then it dawn's on you that the killswitch isn't hooked up, buy that time it is fludded and at that point I know that I am done and it won't start again, it needs a good strong kick HA HA that isn't going to happen so at that point I am cussing the bike and wish it had the push button. :)

That is very true for most anyone I think. Motorcross isn't that bad, you figure you race bout 20 minutes at a time and not on a dead start, I know it wears you down, but you can usually still kick the bike. On the other hand when you are in the woods on the last lap after two hours you don't have a lot of kicking energy left. At those times the ol 400s look pretty good.

MR.BIG
05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by happyboy
Weird how everyone defends the kickstart and says how great it is, my guess is because its a honda. Every race I go to you will see 450Rs that stall out and the guy has to come to a stop to get it kicked again. They sit there for a couple seconds before they get it going again. That is precious time lost in a race.

Just an observation.

Oh, and don't throw out how the honda is so light becuase of the lack of a starter. Doesn't the YFZ weigh almost 20 lbs less and it has a starter?

Don't mind him he is a cannondale rider and seems to hate everything else especially hondas!

happyboy
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Don't mind him he is a cannondale rider and seems to hate everything else especially hondas!

ROFL :p

You got me wrong. I like all the quads. I will ride anything just to be able to ride. I am just a defender of the cannondales. My biggest hangup is when people are close minded to other setups and quads. And that is true for every brand out there, including cannondales.

I have ridden the 450R, and liked it. Not as much as my cannondale, but I wuv my dale. :macho And yeah, if I couldn't have a dale I would prob have a 450R. So neh! :blah:

MR.BIG
05-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Alrighty then!

happyboy
05-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Big, go read my posts. You confuse me with some of the others who will say their quads are the best. I will only say my dale is the best in 1 catagory, $$$. I can build a kick butt dale for alot less than any of the others. Only reason is because they went bankrupt.

03GNCC270
05-31-2005, 01:44 PM
BACK TO THE ELECTRIC START KIT.

MY QUESTIONS ARE... WHERE IS THE OIL FILTER LOCATED AT AND HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE IT ? TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURE AND SEE IF YOU CAN FIND IT.

450ar
06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
or that oil line, its for main crank feed line. And its right where your boots hit the cover. I can see that gitting kicked off, and you probly wont notice untill it was too late.

TRXDresh
06-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I personally think that the Goki Electric start is ugly, and putting it on is just asking for trouble. My advice would be wait until the 06 450r comes out, and trade your R in on it since it will have electric start. You know it will be right since it will be a Honda OEM part.

Meek
06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
From what I have been told, the 06 450R will not have electric start "a race quad does not need electric start" from a Honda rep.:eek2:

06-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Meek
From what I have been told, the 06 450R will not have electric start "a race quad does not need electric start" from a Honda rep.:eek2:

ya it doesnt need it, im glad i dont have it, i thought it would be bad at first, but once i began using it i actually liked it better then electric :macho

happyboy
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
ya it doesnt need it, im glad i dont have it, i thought it would be bad at first, but once i began using it i actually liked it better then electric :macho

ROFL, yeah right. Keep telling yourself that.

madini
06-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Please.....

blake_mx_racer
06-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I went from a 300ex (we all know they have reverse and electric start) to a 450r and i thought i was gonna miss the reverse and electric start but it is so easy to start the 450r on the first kick i dont complain a bit. Im not sayin i like the kick start option better but its not near as bad as i thought it would be.

Blake

TRXDresh
06-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Boys trust me, 06 450r will have electric start and a revised frame geometry.

Meek
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by TRXDresh
Boys trust me, 06 450r will have electric start and a revised frame geometry.

My people at Honda tell me that you are way wrong, we will just have to find out:D

kbass24emtp
06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Come on guys. Electric start is the best. Every two years you get to spent over fifty bucks on a new battery. I know every one love to pray to God that the battery is not dead when you go to start it to load it up on the truck for the trip you have been waiting to go on for the last week. The best part is when your miles from any signs of life and you blow a fuse, and it was your spare. Man I really love those days. NOT!!!!!!

KRMit
06-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I began reading this thread investigating the starter for a friend. He is thinking about the electric start so if his girlfriend rides it she doesn't get stranded if it stalls.

Ya'll are seriously missing the point here. Everyone keeps defending the kickstart, but if you add the electric start won't the kick still be there for a backup? The guy that started this thread just wanted everyone's opinion on the electric start, not the kickstart.

madini
06-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Went to Hatfield/McCoy last weekend and had the opportunity to kick start my R about 50 times in three days.I think I got the hang of it.Don't listen to what some people say,just give her a little wee bit of throttle and one kick does it! Almost everytime! Four of us had 450Rs and one guy had a 400Suzuki.His started easily until the battery cable bolt fell out .We were at our camp when this happened so no biggie.Could have been a problem when we were WAY WAY OUT THERE.I think I'd like having both kick and e-start if it was a factory option. Meantime,I'll keep my Honda till I'm ready for something else. Thanks for all the replys,even the ones that told me to buy a Yammy.Gotta have a few laughs,keeps you healthy.If you can make it go to the Hatfield/McCoy trails it is rewarding.