PDA

View Full Version : exasut leak/ problem

Alberta_Qaudin
05-27-2005, 11:19 AM
k where my stock pipe fits on over the header pipe i have a leak, i know it'll effect the performance but will it do any damage.... the other thing is that i painted it with some high heat paint but i heated iot up before hand to get the paint to set better and i think i melted the glass pack inside, cause till she gets good and hot it seems to be back preasuring....how much damage is this doin??

FoxMxRiders
05-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Did you change te gasket?there is a gasket between the head pipe and the slip-on.You can have one for like 10$can

bwamos
05-27-2005, 11:47 AM
An exaust leak at the header will cause tons of damage over time.

Oxygen gets introduced to the super heated gasses at the Head. It's the same as running lean on your carbs. The oxygen will burn up the excess fuel vapors.. then turn on your valves and eat them alive.

Fix it ASAP. A crush gasket is only like $5 at your dealership. Get the new gasket.. take off your pipe. Pull out the old gasket. Put in the new one. Put the pipe back on.

You should be all set.

ALWAYS replace the crush gasket anytime you take off the pipe. Wether you think you need it or not. $5 is cheaper than a $300 valve job. ;)

THe packing should be fine.. it's fiberglass or another high temp fiber. It'll take a lot more than a 400 degree oven to melt it. Also your packing doesn't really affect your backpressure.

bwamos
05-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Bah, nevermind, your talking about where the Slip-on or rear pipe attatches to the header pipe about half way back on the quad, arent ya?

You can get a gasket.. or just wrap some fiberglass exhaust tape over it. At that point in the line it's just more annoying than anything.

Just make sure your not leaking at the head end.