PDA

View Full Version : No start issue

Screamin440
05-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, I tore my 400 down last night to clean it and get it ready for Haspin Acres this weekend. I got it all back together tonight and went to fire it up and all I get is a click from the starter solenoid. I yanked the battery out, threw it on the charger, cleaned all of my connections, dielectric greased all of the connections and hooked everything back up. After I put everything back together I still get a click. I tapped the starter liberally with a ball peen hammer thinking it might be stuck and still nothing.

Any ideas? Is the starter bad or is the starter solenoid bad?

bwamos
05-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Did you check your battery with a MultiMeter? might even be a bad battery.

Does it click once or multiple times. 1 click is probably bad solenoid. Multiple is a bad battery or starter issue probably.

FoxMxRiders
05-27-2005, 11:48 AM
check your solenoid,can be that if the battery is OK and the starter wont work

velocityatv
05-27-2005, 02:26 PM
SOUNDS LIKE A WEAK BATTERY OR A BAD SOLENOID. IF YOU KNOW THE BATTERY IS UP TO SNUFF TRY JUMPING THE SOLENOID WITH A ((((( WELL INSULATED )))) SCREW DRIVER. IF IT JUST CLICKED ONCE AND THEN NO MORE CHECK YOUR FUSE DOWN BUY THE SOLENOID. MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY CABLES ARE TIGHT. A LOOSE GROUND COULD CAUSE THE SAME THING.

throwinitup
05-28-2005, 12:29 AM
how funny, i just slapped rings in my bike to get it ready for this weekend and i get the same thing..going to make new batt cables and what not tomarrow i think its a bad ground somewhere if that dont fix it, ill refer to the service manual pages 17-9 and 17-10

you should do the same

Screamin440
05-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Well, it was the battery. I forgot I had left it the key in the on position overnight. I took the battery out and charged it and apparently when I cleaned the connections I didn't one cable back up correctly on the solenoid. *hangs head in shame*

bradley300
05-28-2005, 09:10 AM
bump start it and ride it around for a while, you can probably get by with out buying a new battery if you havent already