PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Oil Drain Bolt

elchankoblanko
05-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Turns out the guy that I bought my R from stripped the inside of the oil drain bolt. Ive tried teflon taping it but it still leaks. I know I can retap it but does anybody have anyother suggestions on how I can fix this? Thanks alot!

sickstrtcar
05-26-2005, 08:04 PM
u could always jb weld it in there, if u mix it right itll hold with no problems

Dave83
05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Iwent to napa and got an oversize plug for mine.They are too long for the R motor so I had to thread it in take it out and grind some off.worked it down until it was the right length.Works good now.Another fix Ive seen it to take a standard thread bolt and put jb weld on the threads and force it in,then drill and tap a smaller size hole thru that bolt.I like the oversize plug better,looks better when you get it in.

sickstrtcar
05-26-2005, 08:08 PM
if u dont kno what jb weld its a (p-ox-e) how ever u spell poxce that u mix wit a hardener and is very strong

elchankoblanko
05-26-2005, 08:14 PM
yeah I have used some JB weld before but im lookin at goin the route like Dave83 said with the oversived bolt. Also Ive heard about these inserts that people put in, there already threaded and everything but I dont know what company makes um.

Dave83
05-26-2005, 08:19 PM
You can find those inserts at bolt and screw places and some hardware stores.They will be too long for the motor also.Youd have to cut it down.

#1speedbump
05-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Stay away from JB Weld. How would you drain the oil if the plug is welded into place.

There is a product made by Loctite called Thread Restorer. It contains a release agent and acts like JB Weld. This allows you to remove the plug and doesnt effect the integrity of the threads.

If you use this FOLLOW the instructions to the letter. Failing to do so will result in the product not doing what it is supposed to

Another option is a heli coil

Tom TRX250R
05-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Like stated above DO NOT use JB Weld unless you fell like holding your quad upside down every time you want to change your gear oil.

I have used Thread restorer before which works good but my drain plug was stripped and I did the best solution. HELICOIL!

dober250R
05-27-2005, 06:05 AM
just throw a heli-coil in there. Don't even mess with jb weld. Or you could tap it a bigger size. I strongly recommend just using a heli-coil.

elchankoblanko
05-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey thanks for the feedback guys, but i just have a few more questions what is a heli-coil and where can it?

polaris bob
05-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Go to your dealer and buy a Suzuki oil drain bolt and re-tap it to fit the new bolt. Old timer fix.

The Suzuki bolt is a little bigger and is the right length.

elchankoblanko
05-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Ok I found out what the helicoil is a where I can get it but how do I know what size to get?

dober250R
05-27-2005, 04:03 PM
check what thread size it is using a microfiche. You can look these up online real easy. I'd do it, but i'm lazy.