PDA

View Full Version : Glasspacks

ShiftFMX
05-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok, as some of you know, i recently got an F250, and I want it to sound loud and deep! alot of ppl are telling me to just cut the muffler off and it'll sound sick as hell, but i want it to be somewhat legal, so my next option is a glass pack with a nice big chrome tip. Have any of you guys heard a 5.4 with a straight thru glasspack muffler? Does it sound good?

Thanks! :devil:

Scott-300ex
05-26-2005, 04:45 PM
my friend got a glasspack on his 2.2 87 dakota, its a 5-speed stick, man that thing was LOUD!!!!

for you i say get a x pipe or h pipe for sure, hollow out the cats and it will echo more with them hollow and will sound cool, and get flowmasters

it'll sound great

what i want to get is the cuttouts so i can be sitting in my car and push a button for the electric ones or pull a lever and make it go from the cylinder to my headers and straight out, loud as a b!tch

TCracin440ex
05-26-2005, 05:23 PM
ixnay on the glasspacks bro...the sound nice at low rpms....once you get in the high rpms they start popping and sound like pure shyt...get flowmaster american thunder series....dont do cut outs because on deceleration they are going to pop and everything sounds like shyt...

if you want the best get some flowmasters and x-pipes and a nice set of headers

WKY400EX
05-26-2005, 05:25 PM
I don't know about glasspacks. Just not a big fan of them. No muffler does sound pretty bad, but it's really loud. That's what most V8 trucks run around here. No mufflers with big tips.

If you want to run a muffler, check on some Dynomax Bullet race mufflers. You can get them from Summit or Jegs, and they don't really muffle anything.:D They're just a little bit quieter than straight pipes, but loud and throaty. Also, I think that an x-pipe would be nice too. They make an exhaust sound really good.

BTW, check this site out: http://exhaustsoundclips.com/phpbb2/

ShiftFMX
05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
You guys, thanks for the suggestions and all, but im on a seriously low budget, i got like $400 in payment i gotta make a month.

so...they guy at the muffler shop said he could get me otd at $100, is it worth it??

TCracin440ex
05-26-2005, 05:29 PM
i say save your money bro and get you a full exhaust later on down the road...f- them glasspacks after you put them on you will hate them...my mom has them on her tahoe z71 with the 5.7ltr vortec and it sounds bad *** at low rpms but once you get up arround 2 or higher they sound like pure hell....popping and everything...i can honestly say a gutted exhaust with a gutted cat sounds better than a damn glasspack

WKY400EX
05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4226&prmenbr=361

Just a thought if you're on a limited budget. Or, like TCracin said, save some more money for exhaust.

TCracin440ex
05-26-2005, 05:39 PM
i still say your best bet is to save your money and get a good exhaust....somethin that has that nice rumble to it like the flowmasters...gibson, borla, magnaflow...all those are good exhaust's flowmaster bein the most popular...im posta be gettin me a new silverado pretty soon hopefully and imma put flowmasters on it with 3 inch tips...cat back

Rastus
05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Yea.., don't gut the Cats. It's hard to tell what kind of backpressure is actually beneficial to the motor, plus it will sound like crap. I don't know if your truck has two O2 sensors or not, some do and some don't.

Definately save your money and get a nice exhaust. As with most things you get what you pay for. If you get a complete cat-back system, it's also a good idea to go with a high-flow cat. I did this on my truck ( Chev. Silverado w/ 5.7) with a dynomax system and the usual tips, and it sounds pretty dang mean if I do say so myself. :scary: The high-flow cat is a large improvement over my old pellet type, and it sounds 10X better.

TCracin440ex
05-26-2005, 05:58 PM
yea i was going to do all kinda goodies to my truck but now i wanna get rid of her to get a 2000 model z71...ive got a 98 5.7...

im kinda tired of my truck...i love my truck but im tired of it...problems problems problems

FasstMidnightZ
05-26-2005, 05:59 PM
My dad has Flowmasters on his 93 Silverado, it's wicked !!, I would deffentally recomend a Flowmaster.

HiperEX
05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by hondaexrider
My dad has Flowmasters on his 93 Silverado, it's wicked !!, I would deffentally recomend a Flowmaster.

i agree they are definitly sick check out this site if ya wanna talk chevy trucks
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ipg.ten

or if ya want for just go here
www.truckmoxie.com

Got nads?
05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Depends on the sound you want! I have magnaflows on my truck, but I should've got flowmasters as they sound better. My brother has Ravin Exhuast( not a well known company but good products) on his 5.3L Chevy and it sounds good. It sounds like a done up corvette!:devil:

TCracin440ex
05-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
i agree they are definitly sick check out this site if ya wanna talk chevy trucks
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ipg.ten

already a memeber with that site...good forum and good source of info there far as cheby trucks

TCracin440ex
05-26-2005, 06:06 PM
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ipg.ten

there ya go same website but just for fords got all the info you need for ford truck parts n such

LTZ400rider
05-26-2005, 09:09 PM
on my ranger i chopped off my muffler and the pipe ended right after the cab, i had cat on there tho. when inspection time came up rig up and weld on a muffler half asses, then take it off when u pass. ill tell u i got famous for taken my muffler off. every1 in town knew me, even ppl i never seen. hey r u that kid with the loud red truck :devil: rip on that cuz the tranny blew. any1 ever hear of slp loudmouths for camaros, glasspacks with no packing, just metal its the first ad ull see http://www.slponline.com/img/random_ad/modular_ad.gif
anyway for trucks id get the loudest flowmaster with no tail pipes, or gibson. gibson is pretty much a glasspack but sounds bad arse

Butters
05-27-2005, 09:12 AM
yeah i have glasspacks on my truck and i wouldn't recommend them. they weren't my choice to begin with. i would go with flowmasters or something along that lines. it really just depends on how loud you want it.