PDA

View Full Version : low end power seems to be fixed but now having other problems

05-22-2002, 10:09 AM
I have the K&N jet kit with filter, white brother E-series silencer 6 1 INCH HOLES IN AIR BOX LID and a 14 tooth front sprocket my earlier thread asked about how to fix the low end. The answers I got were to put a#40 pilot jet whigh I did. Now when i give it gas the low end seems to be better but it cuts out and sputters at about 1/8 or a 1/4 throttle all the way to full. I have aprint out from Dyno jet and it says that the pilot shoould stay the same. I put the e- clip on the second groove from top because the plug was almost fouling. I also turned the air fuel screw in all the way and the quad would still run I dont know if that is normal. Also how far do you turn the air fuel mixture screw in to seat it. I just turned it until it became harder to turn. Thank you for any help.

Texan32
05-22-2002, 11:33 AM
something really doesn't seem right.
- are you sure your turning the mixture screw? Its on the very bottom and if the carb is mounted then the screw is on the engine side of the float bowl. It should actually seat up. you shouldn't be putting alot of force on that screw or you could mess up the seat. Whe you go to the 40, leave the mixture screw in the stock location...between 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out from seated

-what main jet size are you running? With what you have, you shouldn't need anything higher than a 160. Also, alot of poeple who haven't done any other motor work tend to leave the c-clip on the needle in the stock location. on that, did you change the needle when you rejetted? The K&N/DYNO jet kit comes with a new needle which actually has a different pitch to it.

-make sure that your throttle cable isn't stuck slightly open. With the mixture screw all the way in, it shouldn't run.

Just to verify, the mixture screw is the shiny slotted screw between the two top red arrows (zingnut, i needed to barrow your pic)

Texan32
05-22-2002, 11:41 AM
something really doesn't seem right.
- are you sure your turning the mixture screw? Its on the very bottom and if the carb is mounted then the screw is on the engine side of the float bowl. It should actually seat up. you shouldn't be putting alot of force on that screw or you could mess up the seat. Whe you go to the 40, leave the mixture screw in the stock location...between 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out from seated

-what main jet size are you running? With what you have, you shouldn't need anything higher than a 160. Also, alot of poeple who haven't done any other motor work tend to leave the c-clip on the needle in the stock location. on that, did you change the needle when you rejetted? The K&N/DYNO jet kit comes with a new needle which actually has a different pitch to it.

-make sure that your throttle cable isn't stuck slightly open. With the mixture screw all the way in, it shouldn't run.

Just to verify, the mixture screw is the shiny slotted screw between the two top red arrows (zingnut, i needed to barrow your pic)

05-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Thankyou for the reply and help I figured ou the problem. I was going to go down a size on my main jet and when I took the drain plug out there was my main jet at the bottom. I figured that might have been the problem and guess what it was. I hope that this tard will remember to tighten things down when I put things back together. By the way the low end is now about the same as with 20 inch tires and 15 tooth sprocket. I have holeshot XCT 22 and a 14 tooth sprocket. Thanks everyone for your help.