PDA

View Full Version : ngk plugs

LTZ400rider
05-25-2005, 11:41 PM
so i noticed alot of the atv plugs have a "R" on them. even my weedwacker had a R on the plug. not all of the ngk plugs have them. whats the R mean and whats so different about them? my thought they were for high performance machines, until i pulled the plug on my weedwacker.

JOEX
05-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Years ago I was told the 'r' had something to do with reducing radio interferance.:confused:

05-25-2005, 11:57 PM
the R means it is a resister plug.. it has a resister in it to reduce radio interference.

thats all

Jesse

LTZ400rider
05-26-2005, 12:53 AM
are you guys messin with me? i believe the resistor part but the radio interference? wtf. explain?

2004exrider
05-26-2005, 01:37 PM
thats why my spark plug plays songs everytime i start my quad.:o

i think there messin with ya.

velocityatv
05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
"R" IS FOR RESISTOR.

sOME IGNITION SYSTEMS HAVE TO RUN THEM SO THE SPARK SIGNAL DOESN'T INTERFEAR WITH THE CDI SYSTEM. IF THE WIRES ARE TOO CLOSELY ROUTED IT POTENTIALLY CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS.

MadMax27
05-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Ill tell ya what, Not to be off topic, but.... I grabbed a ne NGK plug for my Borthers KX100.. Well, long story short, it was sparking up in the plug away from the gap. We threw his old plug in, a NGK.. and it was great afterwards. Whats up with that? His bike wouldnt run with the odd sparking plug, musta been a cracked insulator....

bwamos
05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by velocityatv
"R" IS FOR RESISTOR.

sOME IGNITION SYSTEMS HAVE TO RUN THEM SO THE SPARK SIGNAL DOESN'T INTERFEAR WITH THE CDI SYSTEM. IF THE WIRES ARE TOO CLOSELY ROUTED IT POTENTIALLY CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS.

This is correct.

With out the resistor it acts like a microphone does if you stick it next to a speaker and yell into it. ;)

It's the same reason why in some older vehicles you will get the engine noise on your CB radios, as an example.

I know on the 300ex at least the CDI is about 4 inches away from the spark plug. You'd get a lot of feedback w/o the resistor.

LTZ400rider
05-30-2005, 11:34 PM
oh thats nuts, i had a cb in my truck and if i turned the squelch thing all the way to the static part u can hear my engine winding up and stuff, then id put it on the pa and it would sound soo funny, its even funnier watchin people lookin around. even with my windshield wipers, it would make noises with them goin back and fourth along with them. :devil: