PDA

View Full Version : if my packing is bad can it burn out my valves?

quader400
05-25-2005, 10:14 PM
i was told that since my packing is old that its not good and it could burn up my valves. is this true? thanks

300exOH
05-26-2005, 06:38 AM
Not true at all. It will just be loud.:ermm:

bwamos
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
^^ is correct.

They dont know what they are talking about.. lol. Most aftermarket ATV pipes are straightpipe systems with a glass pack on it (simplifying). Having bad packing doesn't affect the flow at all. However, having a bad header crush gasket can burn up your valves because it's introducing oxygen too close to the engine and making it very hot. ;)

2004exrider
05-26-2005, 01:34 PM
dont let anyone try and bs you saying "oh if you dont have any backpressure it will burn up your valves", you just need enough exhaust pipe to hold the heat in so it doesnt get blasts of cold air.

bwamos
05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Packing doesn't add any backpressure anyway.. ;)

Backpressure is important but for different reasons. It's more of a tuning issue. A 4-stroke pipe can be tuned for hp or torque much like a 2-stroke. It's just a lot more subtle than a 2-stroke. Otherwise there'd be no difference between a Sparks and a Cobra. ;)

Sorry, got off topic... :)

As a recap.. the packing only affects your decible level. Worn out packing sounds like crap anyway because you get the tinny sound coming from the can. So it's always best to replace at least once a year, if for no other reason than to keep those screws on your can from oxidizing and siezing up. ;)