View Full Version : 440ex has a weird problem

slamdak8782
05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
My 440ex is really pissing me off. I put 2 quarts of oil in after draining the reservoir and the case but get this the oil is not going int the case. What the heck is going on. I put this thing together myself so its amatter of pride but it wont run. I put the cam in with the the lines even with the head and also with the t lined up in the case so i was at top dead. What the heck is going on I have oil all over my spark plug . I have 172main installed and a 42 pilot. I do have spark. Also how and the heck do you tighten the plug because I cant get a socket in there. My 440 is dead right now:confused:

slamdak8782
05-25-2005, 09:17 PM
the choke is removed and i have brand new dmc alien pipe full port and polish

prepracing
05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
for the spark plug u need either the honda plug socket or a thin walled 18mm socket ( if u have a stock plug ). How do u know that no oil is going in the case ? cause I don't think a stock oil tank alone will hold 2qts. ( unless u have a oversize oil tank ? )

duke416ex
05-26-2005, 07:33 AM
The oil on the plug would worry me. Did you torque all the bolts right? Has it ran any since the rebuild or will it just not start?

44oEX
05-26-2005, 09:47 AM
well the oil not going into the case happen to me, except I didn't notice. the motor laster 1/2 hour of hard trail riding in the winter. :D then it just stoped. it never even seized, mand there tough when there stock lol.

The problem was that the oil line that goes from the tank to the motor, well the big fitting at the end where the line would bolt to the tank. there is a screen, like a filter, and it was clogged shut, so no oil could go tru. take it off and clean it that is probably the problem

slamdak8782
05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Well Ill try looking at the filter thing tomorrow. Everything was torqued to specs. I havent started it yet but I should have it running tomorrow. I think the oil may have come from being tipped up when i had it up to put the skid plate on. Thanks for all the input

44oEX
05-27-2005, 09:12 AM
it just hit me, if you didn't start the motor, not oil will go in the cases, cause there is a oil pump, in your right side cover, if the pump didn't turn no oil go past it. so you have to start it up, for like 1-2 min, then re-check the oil ( don't get it up to the full mark just like haft way ) . then warm it up fully and top it off again.

4??EX
05-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Just thinking, theres a lil spring that is behind the oil filter, make sure it's there and working right, b/c w/o that spring the oil filter will not function properly and it wont be held up and pushed against the oil filter cover! let us know how it turns out!
- deano

slamdak8782
05-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Ok everythiing solved. 440 was lean at a 172 Decided to go up to 175 to lean so got pissed off went to 180 clip all the way down too rich up one just right. Oil on plug was me being stupid pullng valvecover off dumping oil in the plug hole. So had a tikking nois found out piston was slapping valves further inspection led to more dum mistakes though fixable. Piston was installed backwords! Still ok so I dremeled were it f**ked up an turned it around walla instant beast master. No running a 180 main and a 45 pilot so soo fast custom ported it all myself choke removed by me jetted it myself turned out awesome. Had one other problem with the intake boot boot it on a belt sander lean condition went AWAY. THIS THING ROCKS SO HARD IT WILL DESTROY 450 I THINK:devil: sTAGE 2 CAM INTALLED I HIGHLY!! RECOMEND THEM

slamdak8782
05-28-2005, 12:59 AM
The oil problem was non existent all in my head sorry for the missplells Its 300am im really tired later